List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Wintle

Debutant
Aug 1, 2017
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
St Kilda
It must be so difficult for all of the players to contend with. Big Carl unfortunately missed 1966 as we know, and played in both the losing GF's, 1965 and 1971.
Here's a bit of trivia... In the early 1970s I was a young lad who wore number 10 proudly on the back of my knitted St Kilda jumper. Big Carl was then a teacher at the local Tech school at Box Hill. What a towering figure he seemed in those days!
What a player, what a journey it's been following Big Carl and the like!
Many happy memories as well.
I was at Moorabbin when Carl played in his first game against Melbourne. He bobbed up everywhere and it was if he was marking his own kick at times. He was a sensation in the media for the rest of the week, where he first earned the nickname the "Blonde Bombshell".
There was another bloke who had his first game for St Kilda that day, of the name Ian Stewart. Stewart copped a heavy bump early in the match and in today's football he probably would have come off the field, but he played on. I remember watching the replay later that night (black and white television of course) and kept noticing this Ian Stewart getting plenty of the ball despite his earlier heavy knock.
I was also at the "G" in 1966 and not far away actually, from Barry Breen's wobbly point which everyone remembers for obvious reasons. Breen's point was not the only reason we won of course. Another was the fact that in the second semi final against Collingwood which they won, their captain Des Tuddenham kicked 7 goals from the half forward flank. In the grand final he only kicked 2 goals from memory, mainly due to a player of the name John Bingley who stuck to Tuddenham like glue all day. Bingley only played a few games for St Kilda but it could be argued that he played a big part in us winning the premiership in 1966, which incidentally was Bingley's last game for the club.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hope this is only a guess and not fact , what if the kid turns out to be a gun , Ben has really proven nothing yet
Yes, mostly a guess but my view is that it's all pointing that way.

.Bing is OOC in 2022, so is Matt.

.GC will rightly require something other than our 2 firsts, they being picks 15 or over by then. Matt is a very similar type to Bing.

.Snake and Chip are committed for 2 more years, all be it with triggers.

.We have littke to no justification for a project KPF based on our list needs.

I'm not suggesting it's all set in concrete.
More to do with positioning and preparation.

On another note, your boy had better come good this year. We can ill afford another expensive KPD at trade time.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I was at Moorabbin when Carl played in his first game against Melbourne. He bobbed up everywhere and it was if he was marking his own kick at times. He was a sensation in the media for the rest of the week, where he first earned the nickname the "Blonde Bombshell".
There was another bloke who had his first game for St Kilda that day, of the name Ian Stewart. Stewart copped a heavy bump early in the match and in today's football he probably would have come off the field, but he played on. I remember watching the replay later that night (black and white television of course) and kept noticing this Ian Stewart getting plenty of the ball despite his earlier heavy knock.
I was also at the "G" in 1966 and not far away actually, from Barry Breen's wobbly point which everyone remembers for obvious reasons. Breen's point was not the only reason we won of course. Another was the fact that in the second semi final against Collingwood which they won, their captain Des Tuddenham kicked 7 goals from the half forward flank. In the grand final he only kicked 2 goals from memory, mainly due to a player of the name John Bingley who stuck to Tuddenham like glue all day. Bingley only played a few games for St Kilda but it could be argued that he played a big part in us winning the premiership in 1966, which incidentally was Bingley's last game for the club.
Great player and a sensation on debut, but it was at the junction oval.

I hope this is only a guess and not fact , what if the kid turns out to be a gun , Ben has really proven nothing yet

He kicked 25 goals in a shortened season with shortened matches while suffering from the second year blues. Not a bad effort I reckon.

He kicked 25 goals in a shortened season with shortened matches while suffering from the second year blues. Not a bad effort I reckon.
Yeah I’d say he’s proven he’s going to be every bit as good as his brother.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was so pissed because was nervous af and had recently quit smoking so was deleting beers like a mad campaigner that I fell off my barstool right before BJ took that grab. In my haze I believed that I couldn't move from that spot lest something bad happen. well fmd, should've sat there for 8 days.
i couldnt eat or drink all game .... i had a beer but i dont think i drank any of it cause of the nerves coupled by the fact my seats were three rows from the very back row of the MCG so i was feeling a bit light headed

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

.GC will rightly require something other than our 2 firsts, they being picks 15 or over by then. Matt is a very similar type to Bing.

On another note, your boy had better come good this year. We can ill afford another expensive KPD at trade time.
Interesting take. I think we still need at least one KPP and what that position is depends on where we end playing Marshall.

If he is seen as the first ruck, then we still need a KPF, if he plays forward/ruck we need a ruckman.

Given we've traded up to get Allison, it seems that they think we need a KPF.

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't get too attached to this kid.

He's Bing bait, as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.
We must hang on to Matt as History proves his Family has success.
His Father played in 2 premierships in the VFL.
Brett Allison played in 2 premierships at North Melbourne.
Peter Busustow played in 2 premierships at Carlton.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
St Kilda obviously rated him so why wouldn’t we.

All this talk of bing is just noise at this stage and this isn’t draft day, you can’t just ship players off at will. Quite aside from the fact that if Matt was good enough to interest GC it would make no sense for st Kilda to trade him.

Also if we put the kid on the table having shown something I’d imagine everyone else would be straight on to his manager, can’t see it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes

Not that I doubted you, but just read the write up in the Age on Dec. 12th.
Certainly has got good breeding & hopefully it shines at the Saints.

So you think Bing is worth Two firsts plus Matt ? If so that's a pretty interesting way to look at it considering you haven't even seen Matt play , and when you say my boy , do you mean Clav , if so yes he needs to step it up this year or it will be good bye for sure

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
So you think Bing is worth Two firsts plus Matt ? If so that's a pretty interesting way to look at it considering you haven't even seen Matt play , and when you say my boy , do you mean Clav , if so yes he needs to step it up this year or it will be good bye for sure
Bing's value isn't easy to gauge, but by modern standards 2 late firsts probably isn't gonna be enough.

From GC's position I'd be wanting a top 10 pick and a replacement player.

Of course there's much water to flow under the bridge still, but l did say it's about positioning rather than any definites.

TBH I'm not fussed. Our list is almost assembled now and Bing would be a luxury.

Another clean out this year, another FA and 3 list spots to pluck talent from state the leagues.
We'll be roaring along very soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back