List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skill, decision making and dare off half back is one massive need.
I’d be offering Zac Williams a big front loaded contract.
I’d also be in the ear of Jordan Clark, not sure why he’s out of favour at Geelong, but he’d walk into our team. Highly unlikely being a high pick and a WA boy, at least ask the question.
Yeah can’t see Jordan Clark coming to us but he would be nice as a cheaper type

Witherden someone brought up earlier who would be more attainable I think to bring home

You’re right sold me on trading Brown for a first, Goldy to GWS, Ziebell our for a 2nd, dumping Jacobs, Dom, McMillian, Atley, Garner, Pittard, Daw and a few more for good measure.
Sure some of that ten deserve to be gone, but you replace that with ten kids and we’re cooked..cutting the fat from the list is a couple of year process.
I’m not saying don’t hit the draft, I’m saying unfortunately we’ve gotta he patient.
hopefully we’ve got the right people in place now, cause a full rebuild over one season could be disastrous.
This will need to be a 3 season process - nothing will get us into contention in one year.

I know it looks formidable but you have to see it - we are already 'cooked' - even with the mature bodies we are using. We might finish 13th instead of 16th but we are still cooked.

Supporters will be far more resilient if we are placing our future in good young draft picks rather than the slow unskilled plodders filling our list.

There is nothing worse than being old and shite - and that's where we are - we have no option but to pursue an alternative path.

And btw I am not in the trade Goldy or Taz camp - they are in the few busting a gut for the club - the rest of the over 26's - meh.

This will need to be a 3 season process - nothing will get us into contention in one year.

I know it looks formidable but you have to see it - we are already 'cooked' - even with the mature bodies we are using. We might finish 13th instead of 16th but we are still cooked.

Supporters will be far more resilient if we are placing our future in good young draft picks rather than the slow unskilled plodders filling our list.

There is nothing worse than being old and sh*te - and that's where we are - we have no option but to pursue an alternative path.

And btw I am not in the trade Goldy or Taz camp - they are in the few busting a gut for the club - the rest of the over 26's - meh.
I think most of us are on the same page, just the time frame is in question. Dumping all at the end of the year would be crazy.
personally I’d take a leaf out of Rhyces book and pick the ones who are ‘committed’ to being there.
pick the older guys who are the good trainers, who do all the extra sessions and start phasing out a few more before the end of the year.

Last edited:

So is the public story that Brad wanted a total rebuild but the board didn't think this was necessary actually true?

Surely the board could see what's we can and just didn't think Brad was the man to stay on?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So is the public story that Brad wanted a total rebuild but the board didn't think this was necessary actually true?

Surely the board could see what's we can and just didn't think Brad was the man to stay on?

I think that was obvious, he had been there close to a decade, if he couldn’t imprint his name on the list in that time, why give him another shot?

Can't it be a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B?

It’s fair to say no one was mentioning rebuilding after GWS.

Three weeks later, we need to raze the club down to the ground and piss on the ashes.

Larkey back, Cunners uninjured and we will look a different side.

LDU added to the mix also.

How do we get the third pick?
We'd have Melbournes 1st round pick which based upon the current ladder is pick 2. We keep that (Melbournes pick) and then offer to trade our first round pick (currently pick 6) to any club who can provide us 2 top 20 picks in return? Maybe offer our 3rd/4th rounder as well??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne finish bottom two, this will be one of the all time greatest trades.
Based upon ours and Melbourne current trajectory is going, we both might end up near the bottom of the ladder and might see us with 2 picks inside the first 5 this year!

We'd have Melbournes 1st round pick which based upon the current ladder is pick 2. We keep that (Melbournes pick) and then offer to trade our first round pick (currently pick 6) to any club who can provide us 2 top 20 picks in return? Maybe offer our 3rd/4th rounder as well??

What is the quality of the draft like? Is it strong to 20 or does it start to tail of earlier?

What is the quality of the draft like? Is it strong to 20 or does it start to tail of earlier?
I'ii leave that to the likes of Pykie to talk about. With murmurs that Rawlings is looking at some major list changes post this season, I wouldn't be suprised to see some gutsy trading/drafting occurring.

Based upon ours and Melbourne current trajectory is going, we both might end up near the bottom of the ladder and might see us with 2 picks inside the first 5 this year!

" Pick 2, North Melbourne;
. player 1369 - Paddy Dow ( wild cheering, clapping ) "
" Pick 4, North Melbourne;
. player 2490 - Richard Tambling ( wild cheering, clapping ) "

Ahem, cough......

It’s fair to say no one was mentioning rebuilding after GWS.

Three weeks later, we need to raze the club down to the ground and piss on the ashes.

Larkey back, Cunners uninjured and we will look a different side.

LDU added to the mix also.
I think its fair to say that the GWS we played then is probably not the same GWS we would come up against now, so swings and roundabouts. Each year the lay of the land becomes clearer after the first 7 or 8 rounds, with surprise results, and form lines developing early season that simply don't carry through. The cream rises, and the s**t that they make Vegemite from sinks to the bottom, congeals and stinks. We look more like a spreadable each week.

Pretty soon we are going to have to replace a bunch of key players because the end of their careers beckons. We also have a collection of potatoes on the list that we need to send back to Gembrook. We do seem to have a nice collection of young players coming through but they will take a few years to get to the required level to compete, and anyone we draft this year will take a few years as well. Blind Freddy can see that this season is shot, and this crazy season is probably the most appropriate time to go all shite, given reduced games, no crowds, no corporate sponsorship $$$ etc.

Send Cunners to the farm to get his back right, give Higgo a month to get the knee right, Polec is carrying, JZ needs to take two months off, sit Taz out if he is sore. Finish bottom four, get two top 5 picks (hopefully) and reset for 2021 and beyond.

I think with two top 10 picks very likely.

I think we can afford to be creative.

I think if the Melbourne's pick is top 4, given Adelaide and Fremantle are likely below us, I think Elijah Hollands home is shaping more and more by the week as Arden St.

Adelaide have barely taken a top SA prospect this decade, they will take Thilthorp I think no matter where they finish imo.

Freo will take DGB or O'Driscoll imo as well.

That might not please people given he is coming off an ACL, however he's a very mercurial midfielder, he will bring fans through the gates. He's got even more flair than someone like Simpkin and (despite the knee) has the pace to be even more dynamic, can play forward and kick bags too.

Leaving us with Bruhn/O'Driscoll/Phillips as our second pick imo.

I think these latter 3 (particularly Phillips) are safe picks, we are best place of any club this year to take the risk/reward that is Hollands.

With no NGA and no injury, Hollands would of gone #1 ahead of Ugle-Hagan imo.

I think its fair to say that the GWS we played then is probably not the same GWS we would come up against now, so swings and roundabouts. Each year the lay of the land becomes clearer after the first 7 or 8 rounds, with surprise results, and form lines developing early season that simply don't carry through. The cream rises, and the sh*t that they make Vegemite from sinks to the bottom, congeals and stinks. We look more like a spreadable each week.

Pretty soon we are going to have to replace a bunch of key players because the end of their careers beckons. We also have a collection of potatoes on the list that we need to send back to Gembrook. We do seem to have a nice collection of young players coming through but they will take a few years to get to the required level to compete, and anyone we draft this year will take a few years as well. Blind Freddy can see that this season is shot, and this crazy season is probably the most appropriate time to go all sh*te, given reduced games, no crowds, no corporate sponsorship $$$ etc.

Send Cunners to the farm to get his back right, give Higgo a month to get the knee right, Polec is carrying, JZ needs to take two months off, sit Taz out if he is sore. Finish bottom four, get two top 5 picks (hopefully) and reset for 2021 and beyond.

I’m always of the opinion that the outlook is never as bad as it seems, yet never as good as it seems either.

For mine, you need at least 6 A grade players spread over the field. The rest can be reliable ‘role-players’ that you know are going to give consistent effort each week.

We have four consistent A grade players. Taz, Goldy, Cunners and Brown. Jy is getting there, but needs to do it for longer.

Cunners is injured. Brown is suffering from a major form slump and not having another quality tall to take some heat off.

Higgins, for all his positives, let’s himself down with his complete lack of defensive application and is a cherry on top of a team that can control a game.

Pykie in retrospect would you have used our 2019 first rounder at the time based on who was available?

I wanted Young from a long way out. I think he filled a few needs for us both off of half back initially then as a class user through the midfielder.

He only went 1 pick higher in reality, it could of been done if we wanted.

I think we wanted Flanders and I think he's one of those types that's good to start building a solid midfield base on. Similar to Rockliff, a powerful, versatile type, that might not necessarily be an AA type midfielder, but will take games away from sides pretty easily.

It's hard to judge until we know what we will get in 2020.

I'd take Hollands over anyone other than Rowell and Anderson though, a recovered Hollands I would take over Anderson.

I think our biggest mistake of the last 5 years has probably been the Polec trade. Polec is a good player, I have no issue with what we paid etc. However we had a golden opportunity to leverage ahead of only pick #8 (Thomas) into what may be the strongest draft of the last 15 years.

This was brought up at the time on this board, but everybody dismissed that notion because we 'had a free hit'. With a little bit of trading, we probably could of got Ben King AND Tarryn Thomas as an example. No different to how Fremantle have set up their rebuild in the 2019 draft.

We don't get Curtis Taylor in that scenario, however B.King is probably the best young tall in the league.

Last edited:
I think with two top 10 picks very likely.

I think we can afford to be creative.

I think if the Melbourne's pick is top 4, given Adelaide and Fremantle are likely below us, I think Elijah Hollands home is shaping more and more by the week as Arden St.

Adelaide have barely taken a top SA prospect this decade, they will take Thilthorp I think no matter where they finish imo.

Freo will take DGB or O'Driscoll imo as well.

That might not please people given he is coming off an ACL, however he's a very mercurial midfielder, he will bring fans through the gates. He's got even more flair than someone like Simpkin and (despite the knee) has the pace to be even more dynamic, can play forward and kick bags too.

Leaving us with Bruhn/O'Driscoll/Phillips as our second pick imo.

I think these latter 3 (particularly Phillips) are safe picks, we are best place of any club this year to take the risk/reward that is Hollands.

With no NGA and no injury, Hollands would of gone #1 ahead of Ugle-Hagan imo.
Any chance of getting another early pick this year?

Would you think Sydney would be open to a first round pick swap with ours from next year for theirs this year? They have an NGA likely to go early so maybe a swap of second rounds too.

So North give 2021 first and 2020 2nd

for

Syd 2020 1st and 2021 2nd.

Leaving us with 3 of the first 8 picks this year.

Syd benefit by getting to use a bunch of later picks for an NGA and get a first round pick next year.

I’m always of the opinion that the outlook is never as bad as it seems, yet never as good as it seems either.

For mine, you need at least 6 A grade players spread over the field. The rest can be reliable ‘role-players’ that you know are going to give consistent effort each week.

We have four consistent A grade players. Taz, Goldy, Cunners and Brown. Jy is getting there, but needs to do it for longer.

Cunners is injured. Brown is suffering from a major form slump and not having another quality tall to take some heat off.

Higgins, for all his positives, let’s himself down with his complete lack of defensive application and is a cherry on top of a team that can control a game.
I agree that we don't need starts all over the line. What we do need is a group of skilful, athletic midfielders who can execute under pressure, and to replace 3 of the 5 A graders you list who will be gone within 24 months more than likely. We currently need pretty much all our u/22s' to come on to be good AFL players to fill the gaps in our list that are being exposed, and that rarely if ever happens. We need to bite the bullet.

Any chance of getting another early pick this year?

Would you think Sydney would be open to a first round pick swap with ours from next year for theirs this year? They have an NGA likely to go early so maybe a swap of second rounds too.

So North give 2021 first and 2020 2nd

for

Syd 2020 1st and 2021 2nd.

Leaving us with 3 of the first 8 picks this year.

Syd benefit by getting to use a bunch of later picks for an NGA and get a first round pick next year.

I don't think we need to.

I think it would be irresponsible to trade next years pick into a draft with so much uncertainty, also considering we already have 2 x first rounders.

Like I said, 2021 and 2022 are shaping as strong ones, we should keep currency for those in tact at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back