List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live for this thread every year but there’s bigger waste of bandwidth than our discussions in it.

But seriously I like Sam Weideman and he might be gettable.

You must be joking - he’s their only decent forward.
Cost a lot

For those that enjoy these, have done a scenario based on trading Brown and maximising draft picks (but I still want Caldwell):

Start with picks 3, 5, 29, 59, 60 & 78

1. Trade Brown and pick 29 to Brisbane for picks 15 & 18.
2. Trade pick 15 to Port Adelaide for picks 22 & 28. (Allows Port to get a player in before a bid on Jones).
3. Trade pick 3, 28 & 60 to Geelong for picks 11, 14 & 16.
4. Trade pick 22 to GWS for Caldwell.

End with these picks and examples of who we could pick up:

5 - Phillips / Hollands / DGB / McDonald / Thilthorpe
11 - Trew / Bruhn / O'Driscoll
14 - Reid / Cox
16 - Perkins / Ford
18 - Macrae / Powell

We could also look to live trade one of those picks in the teens to Collingwood - drop a few places in this draft and extort their 2021 1st rounder out of them so that they can get a player in before McInness.

Yes this has escalated very quickly - that journo saying he was shopped a few weeks back may have been close to the mark.

Looks like a deal is done and just needs formal inking.

The rumours of 2 (albeit late) firsts from the Lions has the most credibility - both from their side and ours.

4 first rounders is what the doctor ordered for us - it will be say 4, 6, 14, 16......which will enable us to - at last - really hit the draft hard with 3 mids and a kpd.

I'd like to know a bit more about Polec though...what is the true story there I wonder.

Hmm I've got some doubts on that, going the full rebuild and trading him out for picks sounds appealing for the long term, but would we really go into next season with Larkey as our only recognised key forward? I guess it could work if we put Daw or Walker up forward with Larkey, they seem to be better defenders than forwards though...

If we were looking to get someone in to replace him, it'd cost us dearly to find someone to replace a bloke who kicked 60+ goals last three years. Albeit, so far this year, he hasn't been very effective

Hmm I've got some doubts on that, going the full rebuild and trading him out for picks sounds appealing for the long term, but would we really go into next season with Larkey as our only recognised key forward? I guess it could work if we put Daw or Walker up forward with Larkey, they seem to be better defenders than forwards though...

If we were looking to get someone in to replace him, it'd cost us dearly to find someone to replace a bloke who kicked 60+ goals last three years. Albeit, so far this year, he hasn't been very effective

If we were looking to trade him, that is the exact reason that we would be doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m still in the two first round picks for the guy who has kicked more goals than anyone else in the league over the last three years.

One of those picks under 10.

You just wouldn't trade him unless he was asking for OTT coin.

Not actively, no.

But you’d consider it if you got overs from a desperate, think-they’re-in-the premiership-window club.

I very much doubt that would occur, and there's the fabric of the club to consider. It's sets a shithouse agenda if clubs traded out blokes based upon such a premise.

Ben just needs a point of difference in the forward line to get the double team off him.

I very much doubt that would occur, and there's the fabric of the club to consider. It's sets a shithouse agenda if clubs traded out blokes based upon such a premise.

Ben just needs a point of difference in the forward line to get the double team off him.

I think we need to move past the ‘one club player’ and try to make the absolute most of what you have. Brown is a star, albeit a limited one.

Not saying be as ruthless as American sport, but be more open to trading players than we currently are.

I think the factor that we need to consider in this thread is the financial one. Revenue is down, and debt is up. In that environment - and given we're rebuilding anyway - assuming we could get two draft picks for BBB, we take quality kids from the draft, at a cost of (plus or minus) a third of what BBB's 700-800k in the first year (presumably of a min. 3 year deal). On the same logic, even if we had to pay half of Polec or Goldy or Higgins' contracts, second or third rounders for each would have to be considered (preferably for picks in 2021, which would push the wages cost out another year). With list sizes being cut, you then top up with moneyball options where you see a structural gap in the list.

People mightn't like it, but I bet Brady and Amarfio are having this conversation

I think the factor that we need to consider in this thread is the financial one. Revenue is down, and debt is up. In that environment - and given we're rebuilding anyway - assuming we could get two draft picks for BBB, we take quality kids from the draft, at a cost of (plus or minus) a third of what BBB's 700-800k in the first year (presumably of a min. 3 year deal). On the same logic, even if we had to pay half of Polec or Goldy or Higgins' contracts, second or third rounders for each would have to be considered (preferably for picks in 2021, which would push the wages cost out another year). With list sizes being cut, you then top up with moneyball options where you see a structural gap in the list.

People mightn't like it, but I bet Brady and Amarfio are having this conversation

A lot is still up in the air and needs to play out in terms of coronavirus impact on finances, however what you've suggested wouldn't apply if the current rule of needing to pay at least 95% of salary cap stays. whatever size lists are cut to, we wouldn't be able to 'save money' on having a list of young players, they'd just be paid more than they might be worth at this stage of their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back