List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that enjoy these, have done a scenario based on trading Brown and maximising draft picks (but I still want Caldwell):

Start with picks 3, 5, 29, 59, 60 & 78

1. Trade Brown and pick 29 to Brisbane for picks 15 & 18.
2. Trade pick 15 to Port Adelaide for picks 22 & 28. (Allows Port to get a player in before a bid on Jones).
3. Trade pick 3, 28 & 60 to Geelong for picks 11, 14 & 16.
4. Trade pick 22 to GWS for Caldwell.

End with these picks and examples of who we could pick up:

5 - Phillips / Hollands / DGB / McDonald / Thilthorpe
11 - Trew / Bruhn / O'Driscoll
14 - Reid / Cox
16 - Perkins / Ford
18 - Macrae / Powell

We could also look to live trade one of those picks in the teens to Collingwood - drop a few places in this draft and extort their 2021 1st rounder out of them so that they can get a player in before McInness.
One of these years RR you will get this right on.

The above looks good.

We have more currency at the draft table this year plus in Brady we have a list manager who knows what is required to be successful.

I expect us to be aggressive - maybe not quite to your levels RR - but aggressive nevertheless.

I’m still in the two first round picks for the guy who has kicked more goals than anyone else in the league over the last three years.

One of those picks under 10.
Not actively, no.

But you’d consider it if you got overs from a desperate, think-they’re-in-the premiership-window club.

Uncontracted 28 year old (by time he's traded), coming off his worst season, going into a season where it's likely lists will be downsized and salary reduced.

Unfortunately it's not looking like the season to fleece a team with a top 10 pick and another first. If he decides to leave of his own accord, or we really don't want to keep him (which would be strange), we might get just a first rounder. If we put him on the open market but can convince him to stay (sort of let's play the field, see if we can mutually benefit ourselves and Brown, but both happy to stay status quo if the deal isn't right) might get 2 firsts but just can't see it being top 10. That'd be best case North goggles off.

Looking at 2017 to 2019 performances does paint a pretty picture but that's not the picture that will be most important at the trade table.

I very much doubt that would occur, and there's the fabric of the club to consider. It's sets a shithouse agenda if clubs traded out blokes based upon such a premise.

Ben just needs a point of difference in the forward line to get the double team off him.

I don't think players see it quite the same way as old fashioned old school fans do.

Yes this has escalated very quickly - that journo saying he was shopped a few weeks back may have been close to the mark.

Looks like a deal is done and just needs formal inking.

The rumours of 2 (albeit late) firsts from the Lions has the most credibility - both from their side and ours.

4 first rounders is what the doctor ordered for us - it will be say 4, 6, 14, 16......which will enable us to - at last - really hit the draft hard with 3 mids and a kpd.

I'd like to know a bit more about Polec though...what is the true story there I wonder.

I just think Polec has had some shocker moments and hasn't been playing head screwed on for 4 quarters. Expect that from LDU, Hayden, Scott etc but Polec as a senior player gets an example made of him, during which there's also heavy loads so rotation impact too. Not sure there's much else.

A lot is still up in the air and needs to play out in terms of coronavirus impact on finances, however what you've suggested wouldn't apply if the current rule of needing to pay at least 95% of salary cap stays. whatever size lists are cut to, we wouldn't be able to 'save money' on having a list of young players, they'd just be paid more than they might be worth at this stage of their careers.
You're right, but only if 'the current rule' of 95% of the salary cap applies - given the wage cuts in the industry that have already been applied for 2020, and clubs were prohibited from negotiating new contracts, the future is pretty clear

We need to a full list rebuild.

And we need to start now.

Within 3 years, we are going to lose Goldy, Higgo, Ben C, JZ, Tarrant, Daw.

So we need to get youth on the list now.

We need to make hard decisions. And the first one I would make is trade Brown. He is 27 and could be worth something, especially to a team on the cusp, like Brisbane.

We need to a full list rebuild.

And we need to start now.

Within 3 years, we are going to lose Goldy, Higgo, Ben C, JZ, Tarrant, Daw.

So we need to get youth on the list now.

We need to make hard decisions. And the first one I would make is trade Brown. He is 27 and could be worth something, especially to a team on the cusp, like Brisbane.

Full list rebuild is a bit over the top. We’re not that far off it. We do have a few players that aren’t taking us to glory though.

A few extremely interesting tidbits there.

> More broadly, there is an argument within the AFL industry that smaller clubs such as North, the Dogs, Port Adelaide and Melbourne must place a greater emphasis on drafting compared to teams with more resources who are better placed to land sought-after recruits from other clubs and expensive free agents, although on-field results also dictate the appeal of clubs.
P U M A

> The view internally is that the Roos' group of players aged 26 and over is not capable of taking them to contention and that the only way forward is invest more heavily in the national draft, a process that will take two or three years.
>The list regeneration strategy has been endorsed by the club's board, headed by chairman Ben Buckley and with the full support of influential director and club great Glenn Archer.

Some rather explicit details that makes you think the article isn't the usual fabricated drek.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

> More broadly, there is an argument within the AFL industry that smaller clubs such as North, the Dogs, Port Adelaide and Melbourne must place a greater emphasis on drafting compared to teams with more resources who are better placed to land sought-after recruits from other clubs and expensive free agents, although on-field results also dictate the appeal of clubs.
P U M A

> The view internally is that the Roos' group of players aged 26 and over is not capable of taking them to contention and that the only way forward is invest more heavily in the national draft, a process that will take two or three years.
>The list regeneration strategy has been endorsed by the club's board, headed by chairman Ben Buckley and with the full support of influential director and club great Glenn Archer.

Some rather explicit details that makes you think the article isn't the usual fabricated drek.

More broadly, there is an argument within the AFL industry that smaller clubs such as North, the Dogs, Port Adelaide and Melbourne must place a greater emphasis on drafting compared to teams with more resources who are better placed to land sought-after recruits from other clubs and expensive free agents

I’d put the house on that being straight out of Paul Connors mouth.

Rapt we are heading in this direction and I believe we are well placed from a list perspective to shed some dead wood and meet the new list size.

This exert from the article

"The view internally is that the Roos' group of players aged 26 and over is not capable of taking them to contention and that the only way forward is invest more heavily in the national draft, a process that will take two or three years."

The following players are 26+ and OOC at the end of the season.

Jed Anderson
Ben Brown
Majak Daw
Taylor Garner
Ben Jacobs
Jamie MacMillan
Marley Williams
Mason Wood

Id expect a decent % of these get moved on.

I agree with focusing on the draft but the right free agents should be a target - Zac Williams for example still fits an age profile we should be targeting on.

Picks however should be saved for the draft.

I agree with focusing on the draft but the right free agents should be a target - Zac Williams for example still fits an age profile we should be targeting on.

Picks however should be saved for the draft.

Zac Williams is literally the ideal player on 20 different fronts. And if he wants money we have money. And if he doesn't want money then we have even more money dear god take it, take it all.

P U M A

Sounds like one or maybe two ‘bigger’ names might be bait for early picks this year and next year..

If VDub could get on the park I think he would fit nicely into the backline depending upon Daw's progress

at this stage for 2021 the backline needs to read more

LMac Taz VDub/Daw
KH BMac Higgo

The day's of the Pittard's, JMac's, Atley's, Marley's being best 22 in the back half will be well and truly over come Round 1 2021.
Marley in the back line yesterday and Miers doesn't kick three goals in the first quarter....

Last edited:
More broadly, there is an argument within the AFL industry that smaller clubs such as North, the Dogs, Port Adelaide and Melbourne must place a greater emphasis on drafting compared to teams with more resources who are better placed to land sought-after recruits from other clubs and expensive free agents

I’d put the house on that being straight out of Paul Connors mouth.
Lets use the small clubs to develop stars the big clubs can then Po ach.

Rapt we are heading in this direction and I believe we are well placed from a list perspective to shed some dead wood and meet the new list size.

This exert from the article

"The view internally is that the Roos' group of players aged 26 and over is not capable of taking them to contention and that the only way forward is invest more heavily in the national draft, a process that will take two or three years."

The following players are 26+ and OOC at the end of the season.

Jed Anderson
Ben Brown
Majak Daw
Taylor Garner
Ben Jacobs
Jamie MacMillan
Marley Williams
Mason Wood

Id expect a decent % of these get moved on.
If Garner is cooked, and it appears that way I'd only keep the first three of those guys and maybe Williams if we have no other good lock down defenders.

But the first two of those would be worth good picks. Anderson probably late first maybe 10 - 15. Brown ... Who knows.

Giving Anderson to someone else so he could smash the * out of our young players seems like a really stupid idea to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back