Status
Not open for further replies.

We need to get a third first rounder and Ben brown is the guy to get us it

I want a draft haul like suns and port lukosios,rankine, king
Butters, duursma, rozzee

and all 6 happened to be the same draft

1) Wrong.
2) What you want, isn't important.
3) You have no clue about the draft. None.

2016 - 10 players gone.
2017 - 8 players gone.
2018 - 12 players gone.
2019 - 7 players gone.

37 players in four seasons is nearly a full list.

In that time our tradeable players were who?

Taz, Brown the last season or two, Ziebell as we made him captain, Goldy, Cunners, Higgo, who else? Maybe Jed after his one break out year (2018). As a 24 year old. When you'd think he'd be part of a rebuild.

Dunno what else we could have done.

Last year everyone was on board for a shot at a flag and wanted to give Shaw a run at a full season so obviously wouldn't have traded anyone but before that what could we have seriously done in 2017 and 18 to aid a "proper rebuild?"

Or who else should we have dumped in 2016?

It’s not that. You can’t just get rid of every over 27. My issues is with the recruitment of the Tyson’s and etc. we all get a bit sucked in, but we all knew that we were signing the polecs and pittard to squeak a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that for the first time in a long time we have a whole brace of young players who could be our top five as early as 2022. Scott definitely and I think we have seen enough of TT, LDU, Taylor, Hayden, Larkey, and Will Walker to know they will be contesting that status by then. Jy is already there and all three of Mahony, Perez, and Comben give me a sense of optimism.

Scott yes, Larkey, TT and Taylor maybe but for those 3 it might yet be hard climb up from exciting youngster to the demands of consistently contributing, relied on senior player.

The others have talent but for mine haven't shown enough yet to be considered sure things to form our top 5 within 18 months.

Scott yes, Larkey, TT and Taylor maybe but for those 3 it might yet be hard climb up from exciting youngster to the demands of consistently contributing, relied on senior player.

The others have talent but for mine haven't shown enough yet to be considered sure things to form our top 5 within 18 months.

Agree. None of them sure things. What I am saying is they all could be challenging in the next two years. That says two things to me:
1. We have an exciting brace of youngsters. It is probably the early 90's since we had this many under 23 players that look like they will go an and become be consistent best 22 players at a minimum.
2. Our middle age range of players has really disappointed. Our top five has probably been pretty static for several years now; Cunnington, Higgins, Goldy, Tarrant, Brown. They are all 28 plus and will be replaced in that group by guys that are currently 22 and younger and not any of our 25, 26 year old players. Simpkin already moved into the top 5 and on this year Brown has dropped down a bit.

Agree. None of them sure things. What I am saying is they all could be challenging in the next two years. That says two things to me:
1. We have an exciting brace of youngsters. It is probably the early 90's since we had this many under 23 players that look like they will go an and become be consistent best 22 players at a minimum.
2. Our middle age range of players has really disappointed. Our top five has probably been pretty static for several years now; Cunnington, Higgins, Goldy, Tarrant, Brown. They are all 28 plus and will be replaced in that group by guys that are currently 22 and younger and not any of our 25, 26 year old players. Simpkin already moved into the top 5 and on this year Brown has dropped down a bit.

All true.

We have discussed elsewhere on here that the 2010-2015 recruitment flameout torched us severely.

The lost 2016 Queensland obsessed 2nd round really stopped us in our tracks too. Swap Williams for Stewart, Watson for Battle or Ratugolea and our young group really starts rounding out. :(

Take out 2013 and all we have Atley and McKay (on his royal total of 8 games) in our best 22 to show for 5 years of drafting.

Tyson, Hall, Polec, Walker, Williams at least fill out that demographic but only 2-3 of them truly justify a best 22 spot in any given week.

If our gameplan was really turning heads and just looked short of personnel then maybe we scramble for more numbers in that list portion for the rebuild.

But it isn't so yeh, we basically hold on to our Over 28s crew you mentioned plus the kids with potential then hope like heck we milk another 5+ high yield youngsters out of the 2-3 years.

Unfortunately the real challenge will present circa 2023 imo when the Over 28s crew (each with AA claims for their position over their career) are on their last legs and someone needs to replace them, pronto. Not just for cameos but fulltime and at a high level out output.

No mean feat.

KC's gone all emo on us :p;)

All true.

We have discussed elsewhere on here that the 2010-2015 recruitment flameout torched us severely.

The lost 2016 Queensland obsessed 2nd round really stopped us in our tracks too. Swap Williams for Stewart, Watson for Battle or Ratugolea and our young group really starts rounding out. :(

Take out 2013 and all we have Atley and McKay (on his royal total of 8 games) in our best 22 to show for 5 years of drafting.

Tyson, Hall, Polec, Walker, Williams at least fill out that demographic but only 2-3 of them truly justify a best 22 spot in any given week.

If our gameplan was really turning heads and just looked short of personnel then maybe we scramble for more numbers in that list portion for the rebuild.

But it isn't so yeh, we basically hold on to our Over 28s crew you mentioned plus the kids with potential then hope like heck we milk another 5+ high yield youngsters out of the 2-3 years.

Unfortunately the real challenge will present circa 2023 imo when the Over 28s crew (each with AA claims for their position over their career) are on their last legs and someone needs to replace them, pronto. Not just for cameos but fulltime and at a high level out output.

No mean feat.
All true.

No mean feat.

At the moment we have 3 first-round selections (circa 4 and 10 this year and probably top 5 next) and a second-round in both those years as well. How can we get another first and maybe two more seconds in that period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back