Aim high
Kelly AND Whitfield
What’s stopping us?
We have the trade currency / picks and we have the cash
I’m sure the warchest is still stashed away for a rainy day
And that day is coming quickly
Be audacious North

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
just need to put together a decent year so those players aren't coming for just money but also a team on the rise.
on top of them coming home too.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Our 2020 Crows & Port negotiating hand just got weaker:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Eyes on 2020 a must for recruiters as compromised AFL draft awaits

By Peter Ryan
November 27, 2019 — 4.52pm

On grand final day, the All Stars match involving next year's top draft prospects such as Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Errol Gulden was played as a curtain-raiser to the AFL decider between Richmond and Greater Western Sydney.

The 48 players among the most likely to be selected in the 2020 national draft strutted their stuff in front of AFL recruiters, but some clubs were watching certain players more closely than others.

That's because 17 of the players in the game are already tied to specific clubs in 2020 via the academy, next generation academy (NGA) and father-son concepts that effectively give clubs the last right of refusal over a player if another club tries to draft them.
If nothing else, it made the curtain-raiser a pointer to one thing for certain: next year's draft is heavily compromised.

That won't change either – unless the form of every second All Star player dramatically drops off between now and then – because the AFL review of the flawed NGA system and the percentage discount clubs receive when they pluck a player under those rules won't result in any changes until 2021.

Add to that equation the fact Gold Coast can also sign their own academy graduates without having to put them through the draft as a result of generous concessions the AFL made to see the Suns rise, and the 2020 draft is diluted even further.

All that is relevant now, because it has dictated the decisions of many clubs since the end of the season in trading of picks and players. It could also help make sense of live trading of picks during the AFL's draft extravaganza, which now stretches through free agency, trades, pick swaps, draft nights one and two, pre-season and rookie drafts, the pre-season supplemental selection period and mid-season drafts in a never-ending peddling of hope.

The Giants, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and West Coast traded out their first round pick for next year while Collingwood and Hawthorn were prepared to as well if there were any takers.

Take the Eagles out of the conversation, as the trade to get Tim Kelly from Geelong was always going to cost them, the other five clubs did so knowing that a top-10 pick is more valuable to them this year than next, with all five having potential academy, NGA or father-son prospects to bid on in 2020.

It also informed the offer Sydney was prepared to make for Essendon's Joe Daniher, as they ideally wanted to get a top-10 pick from this year's broad pool in the door knowing Gulden and Braedon Campbell were to graduate from their academy in 2020. The Bombers had future defensive prospect Cody Brand in their thinking too when contemplating their future needs.

On the other hand, Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions, Geelong and North Melbourne have taken advantage of the situation to get an extra 2020 first-rounder in the door at a relatively cheap price, with the Cats and the Kangaroos not having obvious academy or father-son prospects on the immediate horizon.

The Western Bulldogs have hung on to their first-round pick for next season, but you can bet they will be keeping it for a possible trade between now and this time next season, as they have the most exciting NGA prospect yet in Ugle-Hagan ready to roll their way at a discount price in 2020.

All of this means that whatever happens in the next few days is not the end but the mid-point of an ongoing story that delivers hope – or compromise – at every turn.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What that article and most people are overlooking is the fact that the picks don't get compromised until draft night, during the draft.

They aren't pushed out beforehand and like we saw this year, clubs will pay tooth and nail to potentially get picks before their scheduled bids. Pick 6 is still pick 6 before draft night and is just as valuable for those with NGA and Academy selections.

What if Melbourne's potential pick ends up prior to one of Sydney's scheduled bids?

Doesn't it make sense for Sydney to try and get their 2 top 10 kids AND another one of the main pool kids?

The same with the WB and everyone else?

The first rounds picks will have a lot of leverage from that sense.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Are there any sort of 1st round seedings available for this draft yet?

A very rough one I did a few months ago to display some potential bids:

1. Elijah Hollands - Vic Country
2. Riley Thilthorpe - South Australia
3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Vic Country *WB NGA
4. Will Phillips - Vic Metro
5. Braeden Campbell - Sydney Academy *Sydney Academy
6. Denver Granger-Baras - Western Australia
7. Connor Downie - Vic Metro - *Hawthorn NGA
8. Nathan O'Driscoll - Western Australia
9. Luke Edwards - South Australia *Adelaide FS
10. Ollie Henry - Vic Country

With the following also probably inside the next 10.

Errol Gulden - Sydney Academy
Reef Mcinnes - Collingwood NGA
Taj Schoefield - Port FS
Alex Davies - Gold Coast Academy

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Okay, based upon

Taj Schoefield - Port FS

Cheers.

There's dozens of machinations for us to exploit here.

1574898465823.png

The challenge will be to utilise out two 1st round picks to get in to the pick zone for the following types:

We can assume that Gold Coast will get one of them.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
If we end up with picks ~8 and 12, then I could see us trading up in to the top 4.

Pykie, how do you rate this batch at this stage?

The top 10 is really really good.

As good as 2018 imo.

The *******s up in Sydney are getting a star in Campbell, he reminds me of a young Nathan Buckley at Port Adelaide. He just drips class in that prototypical powerful smooth moving midfielder.

Much has been written about Ugle-Hagan, he's probably the best aboriginal tall prospect since Franklin.

Ollie Henry just about breaks the NAB league tackle record every game. He's a defensive midfield phenom.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Taj Schoefield - Port FS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Gold Coast just get Davies for free because of the atrociously over the top concessions?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I reckon we got pick 26 back tonight.

I can't see the scum making the finals next year.

It’s hard to see how they’ll improve, let alone avoid dropping down the ladder. Aside from lack of talent to do so, they’ve got a coach who’s effectively been sacked already and a couple of important players who don’t want to be there.

Hopefully they stink just a little less than Melbourne do next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope we bid on the highly rated players and hold other teams accountable. I am puzzled how GWS got away with Green this year.
The Swans guy said they wanted to call out the player they actually wanted, and not "play games".

Maybe clubs are worried their top recruits will feel like they're "2nd choice"?

I don't get it myself, the system is there to ensure that those unfair bargains don't happen.

The Swans guy said they wanted to call out the player they actually wanted, and not "play games".

Maybe clubs are worried their top recruits will feel like they're "2nd choice"?

I don't get it myself, the system is there to ensure that those unfair bargains don't happen.
I suspect it’s handshake agreements behind the scenes which we seem to be terrible at working in our favour. I love that Carlton made the bids. When we are on the other side (LMac and Tarryn) other clubs have made us pay up. If Melbourne had forced GWS to take Green using pick 4 they improve the rest of their own draft as well as everyone else aside from the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back