List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no indication either kelly or whitfield will be gettable because GWS has afl backing to keep their foundation superstars. Collingwood on the other hand is vulnerable and will have to make a decisions on the big 3. Grundy and Moore are key position structural player that are very difficult to replace. De Goey as good as he is does not have the same value. He is not as a consistent match winner like Martin. We can swoop in with a 5 x 1.5 offer and it's a done deal. At a new club, he is no longer a luxury player but a hired top gun, he has to perform to justify his price tag. Humans are funny creature, quite often greatness is achieved when you are forced to do something and not being too comfortable.
Gws always loses at least 1 best 22 player each year

With the amount of blokes out of contract again that are in their 22 it is bound to happen again

Question is do they lose a few in the lower part of their 22 or just lose 1 superstar like Kelly, Whitfield or Williams

Is Kelly/Whitfield finally ready to come home and set themselves up for the rest of their lives

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Gws always loses at least 1 best 22 player each year

With the amount of blokes out of contract again that are in their 22 it is bound to happen again

Question is do they lose a few in the lower part of their 22 or just lose 1 superstar like Kelly, Whitfield or Williams

Is Kelly/Whitfield finally ready to come home and set themselves up for the rest of their lives

How boogie are you gunna get next year tZ?

2 x 1st rounders, guns coming OOC and star kids in the draft.

I'm looking forward to it.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d be keeping a close eye on Jye Caldwell, Xavier O’Halloran and Jackson Hately from GWS, with Ward returning from injury and then picking up Green there will be even more competition for spots.

Hately in his first year was particularly impressive, strong bodied inside/outside mid that was ultra consistent in the NEAFL. (He was actually one of the reasons why Bonar wasn’t getting midfield time)

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I’d be keeping a close eye on Jye Caldwell, Xavier O’Halloran and Jackson Hately from GWS, with Ward returning from injury and then picking up Green there will be even more competition for spots.

Hately in his first year was particularly impressive, strong bodied inside/outside mid that was ultra consistent in the NEAFL. (He was actually one of the reasons why Bonar wasn’t getting midfield time)

Aaand they’ll be traded for more early picks and this ****ed up carousel will just keep on spinning.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst I hope Rhyce can get the best out of every single one of our players next year, chances are that some will not meet the required standard and will be out the door at the end of 2020. And it might be players that we wouldn't expect, so I won't be surprised if our 2020 trade period ends up being far different to what anyone expects 10 months out.

FWIW, my hope for best case next year is Melbourne give us a top 4 pick, then we package up our first (pick 19 after winning the flag :) ), Essendon's second and other picks as required (which might include picks for players we've traded out) for another top 10 pick. Supplement that with a few picks in the 40s/50s - with all the academy & F/S picks next year, the clubs with those will stockpile picks in the 20s - 40s, so picks in the 50s will probably end up in the 30s anyway after bid matching occurs.

But I think it's more likely that Melbourne will be not far off the 8 next year, so we might trade our two firsts for an established player, then try to use Essendon's second and other picks to trade back into the first round. IMO it's going to be which pick Melbourne gives us that will ultimately determine our plans for end of next year.

On the free agents, the one I think we should chase hard is Zac Williams. We should chase Whitfield too, but GWS haven't lost too many players they really want to keep. So we should shake the tree, force up Whitfield's price, then snag a free player lower down the tree that would still fit really well into our team.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The final ladder positions in 2020 is going to have a huge bearing on what we can get out of our draft hand. Not only where north and melbourne finish but also the other teams with academy picks. I don't want us trading picks for players. Get 2 picks in the top 10 and try to snag what ever free agents we can.

Caldwell would be nice to add to our young gun mids

Hoping he doesn’t get games this year and we can get him home relatively cheap

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
GWS is a ticking bomb waiting to explode. It's AFL's little face project. In their quest to save face to keep all the foundation players, they have set up GWS in an untenable position that will force out a lot of the lesser known players. Aidan bonar, ahern are just the first two of many. We need to keep a tap on the GWS as in the years to come there will be an exodus and we need to be ready to cheery pick the best of them. I still think josh kelly coming to us is a forgone conclusion evident with his repeated short 2 year contract extension stint. He is doing this as he is sussing us out as a viable club while at the same time keeping his options open by gradually making his way to free agency. I think his latest extension will be his last before RFA, by then we will be a club if not in contention for flag would be at least a finals campaigner. We still lack a genuine ready made out and out A grade superstar. Josh kelly has north pedigree due to family connection. Also JK is at a stage of career where he will need to entrench himself with a godfather offer. GWS has given a whole bunch of massive offer to the others, no more dosh in the tank. Also in terms of legacy, JK will want to remembered to have played a big part of an established club instead of an AFL funded upstart that got their proverbial ripped apart on the biggest day of the year. We can swoop in with a 1.5 x 5 to grandfather someone like kelly to his twilight years. Of course this could be used on De Goey as well pending the development of players like Bonar, LDU, Thomas, Zurhaar. If we get a cluster of youngsters all stepping up then we need a match winning finisher, if they still need a bit of development then we need a Kelly to lead the engine room.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
GWS is a ticking bomb waiting to explode. It's AFL's little face project. In their quest to save face to keep all the foundation players, they have set up GWS in an untenable position that will force out a lot of the lesser known players. Aidan bonar, ahern are just the first two of many. We need to keep a tap on the GWS as in the years to come there will be an exodus and we need to be ready to cheery pick the best of them. I still think josh kelly coming to us is a forgone conclusion evident with his repeated short 2 year contract extension stint. He is doing this as he is sussing us out as a viable club while at the same time keeping his options open by gradually making his way to free agency. I think his latest extension will be his last before RFA, by then we will be a club if not in contention for flag would be at least a finals campaigner. We still lack a genuine ready made out and out A grade superstar. Josh kelly has north pedigree due to family connection. Also JK is at a stage of career where he will need to entrench himself with a godfather offer. GWS has given a whole bunch of massive offer to the others, no more dosh in the tank. Also in terms of legacy, JK will want to remembered to have played a big part of an established club instead of an AFL funded upstart that got their proverbial ripped apart on the biggest day of the year. We can swoop in with a 1.5 x 5 to grandfather someone like kelly to his twilight years. Of course this could be used on De Goey as well pending the development of players like Bonar, LDU, Thomas, Zurhaar. If we get a cluster of youngsters all stepping up then we need a match winning finisher, if they still need a bit of development then we need a Kelly to lead the engine room.

Kelly isn’t an RFA until the end of 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back