List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit.

AFL football brings in all the money and its the only thing that needs protecting.

None of that crap exists without it.
Umm, you've been Arden street recently? Like to the state of the art football facility that only got built because a corporate sponsor insisted that it have a community facility in it?

Umm, you've been Arden street recently? Like to the state of the art football facility that only got built because a corporate sponsor insisted that it have a community facility in it?

Yes, I put my hand in my pocket last year.

Stop fabricating history to suit your personal politics, and stop looking backwards to promote issues that need addressing looking forward.

ICGAF about what happened whenever, my entire premise is based upon going forward through difficult times in order that the club may survive. We need to unhitch the "klingons".

Maybe, but I would have thought the opposite; AFL has borrowed $500m, essentially to bail out the clubs. When you borrow, you have to cut costs and in a labour intensive industry, that's the wages bill. Cut list sizes by 9, and assume the fringe players bear the brunt (ie, the lowest paid) - let's say the average is $250k, by 18 clubs, that's a saving of $40.5 million (ie you repay the money in 10-11 years, which for a once in a generation event, is manageable)

I didn't think they'd borrowed $500M - just had a line of credit now to cover it (semantics I know in some ways) - they may not need anywhere near that much depending on how things go.

Personally I'm not huge on reducing list sizes but I do think stupid policies like high minimum Salary Cap's now look as stupid as they are. That's not entirely on the AFLPA either - I mean let's be honest, if they hadn't had their hand out for the money the AFL would have just pissed even more of it away on their own internal do nothing staff.

I didn't think they'd borrowed $500M - just had a line of credit now to cover it (semantics I know in some ways) - they may not need anywhere near that much depending on how things go.

Personally I'm not huge on reducing list sizes but I do think stupid policies like high minimum Salary Cap's now look as stupid as they are. That's not entirely on the AFLPA either - I mean let's be honest, if they hadn't had their hand out for the money the AFL would have just pissed even more of it away on their own internal do nothing staff.
That extra game in Tassie really affected impacted you, didn't it? ;) It's like it was a nail in the coffin of your enjoyment of the sport.

Which is fine, by the way, I'm just observing a more cynical tone nowadays.

All the best Shinte

That extra game in Tassie really affected impacted you, didn't it? ;) It's like it was a nail in the coffin of your enjoyment of the sport.

Which is fine, by the way, I'm just observing a more cynical tone nowadays.

All the best Shinte

Ha, maybe ;)

To be honest I'm not on here as much anymore because I'm flat out at work 99% of the time for a bit. Love the sport but my tolerance level for AFL nonsense has gone into negative now. NMFC usually do fine by me but the Tassie games (and extra one) rub me the wrong way. It wasn't that they made the decision, it was that they clearly tried to downplay and not flag the decision with the members too much in advance - and then tried to spin it as a great thing. If it was so great they wouldn't have been very carefully trying to spin it for the members and downplay before hand. I don't like hypocrisy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha, maybe ;)

To be honest I'm not on here as much anymore because I'm flat out at work 99% of the time for a bit. Love the sport but my tolerance level for AFL nonsense has gone into negative now. NMFC usually do fine by me but the Tassie games (and extra one) rub me the wrong way. It wasn't that they made the decision, it was that they clearly tried to downplay and not flag the decision with the members too much in advance - and then tried to spin it as a great thing. If it was so great they wouldn't have been very carefully trying to spin it for the members and downplay before hand. I don't like hypocrisy.

Buttering people up with "Keep North South" the week before didn't help much did it.

Buttering people up with "Keep North South" the week before didn't help much did it.

Cynical, very cynical stuff. I get annoyed so much about this kind of thing because I'm in it for the long haul. This kind of action has real, long term repercussions on the long term / hard core base. It's undeniably damaging.

Hypothetical - if Jeremy Cameron was on the market and interested in North but would command a Dustin Martin grade of wage, would we entertain it?
No question he's a gun, but not sure I'd be wanting to tie up that much salary cap on a "nice to have".

It'd be hard to say no though.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

No question he's a gun, but not sure I'd be wanting to tie up that much salary cap on a "nice to have".

It'd be hard to say no though.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

That's my point. Not a list need and a huge opportunity cost.

Conversely, an elite player and big PR value for attracting other players to the club.

That's my point. Not a list need and a huge opportunity cost.

Conversely, an elite player and big PR value for attracting other players to the club.
It’s funny if I had the pick of their players that would suit our needs it would probably be,
1. Toby Greene - we desperately need a smart goal sneak.
2. Tim Taranto - genuine star midfielder in the making, would slot nicely into our midfield.
3. Josh Kelly - see above
4. Whitfield - running player with a nice kick, would solve a lot of our issues at moving the ball forward.
5. Zac Williams - Genuine HBF pace and skills.

Although Cameron would probably win you a GF off his own boot, we’ve gotta get there first.

Last edited:
Hypothetical - if Jeremy Cameron was on the market and interested in North but would command a Dustin Martin grade of wage, would we entertain it?
I think it would be irresponsible to do it and to keep both of Brown and Larkey. If you were going to put 1.1-1.3m into Cameron or whatever ridiculous contract he would require then we would need to look seriously about moving value from the forward line into the midfield or backline for a premiership assault.

I don't think it's our time for a flag so I probably wouldn't bother messing with the culture of the club that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back