List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Do any of you guys think Noble would put a bid in for Coleman?
North's first 2 selections are 2 and 11, no way I can see them bidding on Blake Coleman that high, their 3rd selection is pick 30 which wouldn't affect us as it is after our 1st pick at 25 so we would get an open draft selection in before that bid.

I consider myself reasonably intelligent ( some may disagree ) but honestly, this pick swapping stuff is beyond me. I read people explaining it and my eyes glaze over and my brain shuts down.
For the life of me I cannot see why clubs like ours which I know is professionally run are forced by an arcane system to do this sort of stuff.

For the life of me I cannot see why clubs like ours which I know is professionally run are forced by an arcane system to do this sort of stuff.
I am pretty sure that the club has made a decision about the pick swaps not forced.
But I am with you in that only ‘God Knows why’.
And I guess that we will never really know, other than to think that we wouldn’t be using those pick this year? So moved a pick to next.

I am pretty sure that the club has made a decision about the pick swaps not forced.
But I am with you in that only ‘God Knows why’.
And I guess that we will never really know, other than to think that we wouldn’t be using those pick this year? So moved a pick to next.
I realised a couple of years ago that trade week or month, free agency and the draft need to be looked at on an overall basis and in some clubs cases looking at the current and next year to come.

It’s almost impossible to know what the club is thinking in terms of planning for the next few years around academy or father/son picks.

I consider myself reasonably intelligent ( some may disagree ) but honestly, this pick swapping stuff is beyond me. I read people explaining it and my eyes glaze over and my brain shuts down.

We've elected to move one of our late picks to next year - I'm guessing we don't think we'll need to use it, but possibly might next year. I'm guessing Collingwood plan to.

North's first 2 selections are 2 and 11, no way I can see them bidding on Blake Coleman that high, their 3rd selection is pick 30 which wouldn't affect us as it is after our 1st pick at 25 so we would get an open draft selection in before that bid.

Thanks Jason, I couldn't be stuffed chasing the info to inform myself, I knew others here are way more into that side of things than me and would give an intelligent answer.

Pick swaps before draft day are stupid.
Its like playing poker (or any card game) and putting your cards on the table so everyone can see at the start of the hand.
We would have got much better value if we waited until the day when clubs panic to get the player they have fallen in love with who is still there.
Now we have blown that opportunity.

I honestly don't understand the level of angst for the loss of Witherden. He struck me as a solid citizen type. I think he has great kicking for that 15-30m range. However, I've found left wanting for accuracy/placement when he kicks around that 50m range. He doesnt have that bullet style 50m kick that Rich/Suckling/Short (Richmond have that can obliterate a line). His 50m tends to be loopy/aired out which advantages opposition defenders. He doesn't have that burst speed so he can take 10-15m of territory before kicking (which makes the likes of Crisp/JJ/Daniels etc very dangerous). Since his debut I've preferred Answerth due to his shutdown ability combined with his burst pace. His kicking over shorter distances isnt as good as Withos but that burst pace can help him get the ball over a defensive line with a long kick better than Witho. I've liked Ah Chee's intercept/jumping ability as a contrast. Starc is also a well-rounded defender. Withderden would be looking to supplant Rich as that long kicker. Rich would have 2 seasons+ left in him you would assume. In that time we could give someone touted like J Prior a good run or look to trade in a half back flanker in 2 years for a late first round pick. Half back players are a dime a dozen and every year there is quality players moving around as free agents etc. If Witho was a KPF/KPD/top 10 inside mid I would agree. The spine and engine room is where you want your cap space.

I personally hope its Madden that replaces Birchall through the course of the year. Someone with that pure acceleration working in tandem with a fast and mobile forward line will cause significant damage.

Having said the above, I feel Witherden could potentially be in for a career best year if the Eagles use him well combined with the new rule change. The lateral mark movement rule could let teams zigzag 15m passes up the ground and Witherden could shine in this role. West Coast does implement this kick mark style ball movement so I would not be surprised if Witherden gets 20+ possessions a game and 100+ fantasy points. I look forward to the boilovers if this occurs. I personally don't like this slow style of ball movement as it relies on S-tier key forwards timing their leads perfectly to find space in a slow congested forward line. It also doesn't let teams really mount quick pressure by hitting a few quick goals back to back. I'd rather have quick direct fast ball movement to really benefit the pressure we can generate from a mobile forward line.

Having said the above, I feel Witherden could potentially be in for a career best year if the Eagles use him well combined with the new rule change. The lateral mark movement rule could let teams zigzag 15m passes up the ground and Witherden could shine in this role. West Coast does implement this kick mark style ball movement so I would not be surprised if Witherden gets 20+ possessions a game and 100+ fantasy points. I look forward to the boilovers if this occurs. I personally don't like this slow style of ball movement as it relies on S-tier key forwards timing their leads perfectly to find space in a slow congested forward line. It also doesn't let teams really mount quick pressure by hitting a few quick goals back to back. I'd rather have quick direct fast ball movement to really benefit the pressure we can generate from a mobile forward line.
I was saying the same about Geelong who use the kick and mark style as well. 💥

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick swaps before draft day are stupid.
Its like playing poker (or any card game) and putting your cards on the table so everyone can see at the start of the hand.
We would have got much better value if we waited until the day when clubs panic to get the player they have fallen in love with who is still there.
Now we have blown that opportunity.
All our trades outside the trade period is basically shuffling fourth rounders. I'm not sure that's really tipping much of anything given how it really is the fairly meaningless end of the draft.

Yes the trades we are making are pointless for this year but not for next. I am gearing myself for the reality that we won't be big players come draft night. Daniher was our major recruitment objective this year and we are clearly more focused on next year's draft. I don't see us making a bid for a slider given we basically traded out of the first round, presumably as part of the longer term plan. The major interest will be where and when a bid will come for Coleman, although you would think we will match regardless.

Haha fantasy points . That’s all witho will do chip it back and forth and go nowhere rack up possessions in the pie stands . Tough decisions had to be made and he is surplus to our needs. His kicking lacks penetration and he can’t run out of sight on a dark night . Won’t be surprised to see hom
Delisted from west coast in a couple of years .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back