List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Somehow I think this is going to be the silliest of all silly seasons, given it is starting in June. By September Neale will be as good as signed by Collingwood, McCluggage will be house hunting around Geelong, both Berrys will be keen to get to Essendon on the cheap and North will be flinging money at everyone on our list.

I think a few clubs will be desperate to fix the state of their lists and the two Queensland clubs will seem to them to be filled with ripe low-hanging fruit ready for picking. Other than that it will come down to picking through the carcasses on Adelaide’s list to see if anyone has a heartbeat or snagging an Eagle or two that decide to jump now in case they slide down and stay down.

Unfortunately for the Vic clubs, Queensland clubs might be seen as a pretty good place to be over the next few years. We won’t retain everyone but we will keep most of our key players.

Regarding the Eagles I wonder if we'll have a crack at Cameron junior? Would make three sets of bros at the Lions.

Wonder if some would have written off Hodge in 2001 comparing his slow start to that of Judd or Ball?

Particularly difficult for Hodge were the constant comparisons with the second and third picks of the 2001 draft, Luke Ball and Chris Judd.

All three went on to become genuine AFL stars but Judd’s fast development – coupled with Hodge’s slow start, exacerbated by groin injuries – made things tough for the Hawks’ ex-skipper.

I'm assuming those already judging and lauding a four gamer that also was a no 1 pick that would no doubt already have 9 Brownlow votes is jumping the gun too?
Rowell could blow a knee in his next game and never really recover to be the player he is now.
He has had a fantastic start to his career as did Marcus Adams after his first few games in the AFL, injury has derailed him since.
There are no certainties, and to judge any player definitively at an early stage of their career can very easily back fire.

Rowell could blow a knee in his next game and never really recover to be the player he is now.
He has had a fantastic start to his career as did Marcus Adams after his first few games in the AFL, injury has derailed him since.
There are no certainties, and to judge any player definitively at an early stage of their career can very easily back fire.
I'm not the one judging anyone definitively as some seem to allude that I have marked Rayner's card. I've not done that at all and really do hope he turns into one of the elite players in the comp, like we all do. I just wish he'd be doing it sooner like any one of Rowell, McGrath, McCluggae, Walsh, Roxzzee, Duursma etc. etc.

I'm not the one judging anyone definitively as some seem to allude that I have marked Rayner's card. I've not done that at all and really do hope he turns into one of the elite players in the comp, like we all do. I just wish he'd be doing it sooner like any one of Rowell, McGrath, McCluggae, Walsh, Roxzzee, Duursma etc. etc.
Perhaps be a bit more patient. Not all players develop at the same rate. We have Rayner, not Rowell, and Rowell wasn't available at our pick either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%.

GC are a bit of a force now and Rowell is seen as a key factor so he's going to have to cope with some things he mightn't be used to . No one's doubting that he looks an absolute gun but it's a weird season and nothing's guaranteed . There have been many players who started their careers like a house on fire and never really went on with it for one reason or another. Fitzroy had a little guy, Mark Dwyer , who started his career half way through 1986 and polled Brownlow votes in 6 consecutive games and 3 votes in the 7th. Cost Roos the Brownlow . He only played 2 games in the next season and that was it.

With the Eagles and Elliot Yeo struggling this season, could he be tempted back to finish business at his original club and seek a fresh start again?

I actually think Yeo could be a great forward half player for us. I’d trade both firsts this year for him, or a mix of one first & Witherden (probably traded for a 2nd/3rd rounder), and maybe next years second rounder

I actually think Yeo could be a great forward half player for us. I’d trade both firsts this year for him, or a mix of one first & Witherden (probably traded for a 2nd/3rd rounder), and maybe next years second rounder
Yeo's been carrying an injury I suspect. I'd absolutely love to have him back but not a hope in the world I would've thought.

Is he any good at the moment?
It's too hard to tell. The club seems to have dropped any semblance of organisation or culture. He's been there a long time , maybe he's had enough.

His form was very good in 2019.

If we have him in the frame just as happy to see him have an ordinary year this year.

I'd prefer Rory Laird over Brodie Smith if we had the luxury of a choice, both free agents at the end of next season but they may want to get out of Dodge early, Laird a couple of years younger than Smith.

If Birchall plays out the season uninjured he will play on and we wont need either of them anyway, IMO Birchall is improving every game which you would expect after 8 games in 3 years because of injury, easy to forget at his best he is an elite player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back