List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I reckon he would be on a base of around a maximum $300,000. Maybe more with incentives, so max $400,000.

Would another team want him? If so, say they only want to pay $200k for him, we'd still have to pay ~$100-$200k to save $200k. I don't get the feeling from the club we are super desperate for cap space.
So you don't know what he's on, but you seem very confident it isn't huge money. You might be right since I don't know the figure either, but since you thought Adams was just traded to us and was a first round pick, I'm not sure you're on top of the facts here.

We should be throwing everything into getting Treloar at the club. If Collingwood can cover a part of his wage while we give them some good draft picks, we both will win from that scenario.

He’s not what we need. Not a coal face guy. We need ball winners to support Lachie. Not peacocks running around the outside like Treloar.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hipwood averaged 1.7 goals a game in 2018, 1.5 goals a game in 2019, and 1.3 goals a game in 2020. Even if you argued if he's a liability or not, he's not exactly heading in the right direction.

Fantastic example.

Except.

He had more scoring shots in 2019 than he did in 2018 and this year is shortened quarters + a slightly different role.

It's almost as if those stats don't align with "he's a liability up forward"???

Fantastic example.

Except.

He had more scoring shots in 2019 than he did in 2018 and this year is shortened quarters + a slightly different role.

It's almost as if those stats don't align with "he's a liability up forward"???

I said he's a liability kicking up forward. He's a great contested marker. And the stats that I gave you were averaged out in the entire year; therefore a shortened season had no effect on those stats. Hipwood's biggest knock is his kicking, but the great thing is if he fixes that he can actually reach his potential. And I hope he does, but right now I'm nervous everytime he goes for a set shot.

I said he's a liability kicking up forward. He's a great contested marker. And the stats that I gave you were averaged out in the entire year; therefore a shortened season had no effect on those stats. Hipwood's biggest knock is his kicking, but the great thing is if he fixes that he can actually reach his potential. And I hope he does, but right now I'm nervous everytime he goes for a set shot.

The quarters were shortened...

Can someone actually teach hipwood how to kick a set shot in front of the goals? I have never seen a player who struggles with their set shots as much as him. During the mid-season when our entire team was going through the kicking yips, they all managed to overcome it except for hipwood. He has turned into a liability when he's in the forward 50, which is a shame because his downfield work is actually quite good.
Dan McStay

Hipwood averaged 1.7 goals a game in 2018, 1.5 goals a game in 2019, and 1.3 goals a game in 2020. Even if you argued if he's a liability or not, he's not exactly heading in the right direction.
Pretty sure if you look at the stats of all forwards this year you will see the same trend.

Witherden is widely respected as a young leader / organiser at the club. I remember hodge saying he was an obvious choice as a future organiser. He is a limited footballer - but he is a good team mate and locker room guy, that's not in question.

Everybody loves Witherden

He does have one elite trait his kicking when he's allowed to be creative.

Witherden is widely respected as a young leader / organiser at the club. I remember hodge saying he was an obvious choice as a future organiser. He is a limited footballer - but he is a good team mate and locker room guy, that's not in question.

Witherden is close with all the players that we want to keep. Berry, Rayner, Mcluggage, Hipwood, Etc. By virtue we should keep him if it means we can keep those players. He's also a great player who I know can bounce back and prove the doubters wrong.

Buddy was the same. As a young player and left footer he'd nail them on the run from 60m out and couldn't land a close in set shot to save himself.

Until he learnt to swing into the natural arc of his left foot as if he were in play.

I've brought this up several times. Still a bit dumbstruck that no one's given Hipwood ,or McStay for that matter , the heads up.

We're asleep at the wheel on this one.

And if people are going to tell me trust the coaches they know what they're doing ,well sometimes they're stubborn and don't.

I would Keep McStay for one more year, but make it clear to him he needs to have a real crack as the roaming 3rd tall forward, otherwise will be let go at end of 2021. Hopefully it might be the making of him. Has played 120 AFL Matches. No doubt he has kept his spot at times because there was little pressure from Skinner, Ballenden, Fullerton (although showed promise in 3rd Q of first game).
Lester maybe one more year, but again let him know that Payne will likely get first crack. I think we need to install some confidence in Payne and stick with him as he will very likely continue to improve, and be a long term player for the Lions. Lester had arguably his best year and could be some value to the Suns.
Would try and trade Robinson but if not, let him know that likely his position is not a weekly lock. Would look at maybe moving Starc to wing and possibly bringing in Answerth or Lester into the back 7 for 2021.
Based on his riddled injury career at dogs and lions, and (apart from a couple of games), form was ordinary in 2019. Let Adams know others are in front and perhaps he might seek a trade. Again could be some value to the Suns who have a youngish backline, and he could assist Collins with a lockdown role.

Wow. Do you really think the players don’t know exactly where they stand?

During interviews players laud Fagan for being up front and saying it like it is, while reinforcing the ways they can improve. And the coaching style is a teaching environment not an old fashioned, out dated bollocking. Go to the lions website and read the articles about the number of teachers that are coaches and how they work with the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you don't know what he's on, but you seem very confident it isn't huge money. You might be right since I don't know the figure either, but since you thought Adams was just traded to us and was a first round pick, I'm not sure you're on top of the facts here.
It was pick 32 in the 2018 trade period and I am confident he's not on huge money (huge money to me would be 650k plus). I would be shocked if he's on that much and I think that it would of been huge news if we offered him that much.

No one knows what all the players are on but based on this article (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ill-they-change-the-game-20200401-p54fzz.html) the average 4 to 5 year player who plays nearly every game is on 400k, so I think that's a reasonable estimate.

My original point was in regards to him being traded and that I don't think that he's creating salary cap pressure but even if he is on huge money he has no trade value and other teams wouldn't be willing to take on his contract, so he's not going anywhere. All just fun speculation, but the 1 thing I'm sure is that he'll be a lion in 2021.

It was pick 32 in the 2018 trade period and I am confident he's not on huge money (huge money to me would be 650k plus). I would be shocked if he's on that much and I think that it would of been huge news if we offered him that much.

No one knows what all the players are on but based on this article (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ill-they-change-the-game-20200401-p54fzz.html) the average 4 to 5 year player who plays nearly every game is on 400k, so I think that's a reasonable estimate.

My original point was in regards to him being traded and that I don't think that he's creating salary cap pressure but even if he is on huge money he has no trade value and other teams wouldn't be willing to take on his contract, so he's not going anywhere. All just fun speculation, but the 1 thing I'm sure is that he'll be a lion in 2021.

Forcing out contracted players who want to stay is also bad form and a poor message to send. We won't be trading out anyone who doesn't genuinely want to leave.

Wow. Do you really think the players don’t know exactly where they stand?

During interviews players laud Fagan for being up front and saying it like it is, while reinforcing the ways they can improve. And the coaching style is a teaching environment not an old fashioned, out dated bollocking. Go to the lions website and read the articles about the number of teachers that are coaches and how they work with the players.
You think Nick Robetson after playing in the GWS QF last year and keeping Whitfield quite, knew that a week later he was gone. A week in footy is a long time and no doubt most (but not all) who played in the Prelim will be around next year, but not all. Suppose players will all know where they stand this week and next, after the end of season interviews and hopefully next week when the AFL decide on list sizes.

Also forgot to mention this yesterday but Mitch Cleary was claiming on AFL Exchange that Dodoro is mad we reportedly enquired about Jordan Ridley before he re-signed.

I'm sure Tim Watson will want us to be investigated for contract tampering in a couple of weeks once he gets his late mail from the bombers - he's been a bit too critical recently to get timely dumps.
What goes around comes around....we owed them for making inquires into Cam Rayner

For Oliver? Would you accept 2 late firsts for Neale?
I don't think I could put them in the same paddock just yet.....that's not to say Oliver can't get there ......Neal has sublime skills by foot and hand.....Oliver still has work to do on that IMO

You think Nick Robetson after playing in the GWS QF last year and keeping Whitfield quite, knew that a week later he was gone. A week in footy is a long time and no doubt most (but not all) who played in the Prelim will be around next year, but not all. Suppose players will all know where they stand this week and next, after the end of season interviews and hopefully next week when the AFL decide on list sizes.
Yes right after the Club champions dinner tonight (Thursday 21st) the announcements will start. I remember Beams saying at the dinner in his last year Clay Beams was going and it hadn't been announced so some might even know now.

Wow GWS are asking for alot for Cameron.

This can only give Dodo more impetus to drive a hard bargain. I honestly believe that we are one of the better clubs to deal with IMO but in regards to the Daniher situation I hope we sit. Sadly I believe this will hold up any other possible trades if we are having discussions with players but I hope not. Do I believe that GWS is right in what they are asking? No, but I also believe that this is a bit reactionary to the number is players leaving this year and their annual turnstile.

Yes right after the Club champions dinner tonight (Thursday 21st) the announcements will start. I remember Beams saying at the dinner in his last year Clay Beams was going and it hadn't been announced so some might even know now.
They started the "yearly reviews" yesterday and continue into today. Some have already been given the news but the club would like to wait until tomorrow at the earliest (if possible) when everyone has had their review.

They started the "yearly reviews" yesterday and continue into today. Some have already been given the news but the club would like to wait until tomorrow at the earliest (if possible) when everyone has had their review.
Mighty Lions - do you know who does the "reviews" and how long they last?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back