List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I agree that we are in our window but I don't think it is fully open yet, just ajar, IMO our peak premiership window years will be when the likes of McCluggage, J.Berry, Rayner, Andrews, Bailey, Hipwood, Witherden, Starcevich are in the 24-29 age bracket, hopefully backed up by a few younger players yet to prove themselves at the level eg. Answerth, T.Berry, Payne, Coleman, E.Smith, Robertson. Of our older(28+) players the only 2 that could be difficult to replace are Zorko and Rich. Hit the draft as usual and a couple more clever trades and I think our fully open window will be 2022 to 2026 or thereabouts.

I have the feeling that Witherden/Brock Smith are our replacements for Rich and Deven Robertson/Rayner are our Zorko replacements.

I agree that we are in our window but I don't think it is fully open yet, just ajar, IMO our peak premiership window years will be when the likes of McCluggage, J.Berry, Rayner, Andrews, Bailey, Hipwood, Witherden, Starcevich are in the 24-29 age bracket, hopefully backed up by a few younger players yet to prove themselves at the level eg. Answerth, T.Berry, Payne, Coleman, E.Smith, Robertson. Of our older(28+) players the only 2 that could be difficult to replace are Zorko and Rich. Hit the draft as usual and a couple more clever trades and I think our fully open window will be 2022 to 2026 or thereabouts.
Answerth and Payne are the same age as Rayner, Bailey and Starcevich. Payne was from the same draft. Answerth should have been as well, but was injured his draft year, and was drafted the year after as an over ager.

Other than that, I agree with what you’re saying.

I have the feeling that Witherden/Brock Smith are our replacements for Rich and Deven Robertson/Rayner are our Zorko replacements.
Brock is more of a Darcy Gardiner when he plays on medium forwards, or closer to a Ryan Lester type defender with a hard edge.

Jaxon Prior is the draftee who is a very good left kick, and can run as well.

I’d say Zac Bailey can do a pretty good Zorko impersonation running through the midfield.

Deven is more like a cross between Joel Selwood and Brad Crouch. The hardness and leadership of Selwood, with a game somewhat similar to BCrouch.

2022-26
I would take 5 premierships.
Thank you 🙏

Brock is more of a Darcy Gardiner when he plays on medium forwards, or closer to a Ryan Lester type defender with a hard edge.

I’d say Zac Bailey can do a pretty good Zorko impersonation running through the midfield.

Deven is more like a cross between Joel Selwood and Brad Crouch. The hardness and leadership of Selwood, with a game somewhat similar to BCrouch.

Got Prior and Smith mixed up :p

I think you would be surprised about Birchall only getting 1 year. He wants more years than just 1 and if his body holds up for the season then l reckon Fagan would keep him around for longer. Doubt he would have moved his family over for only 1 year here
Certainly hope not. Keeping good young guys out to keep a 33 year old who is not Hodge, harms our chances in the next couple of years. Have a look at the 3rd Q last Thursday against the cats and just before Rohen runs down the side line pass Lester you will see Birchall attempting to waddle across to get the ball. Didn't think Answerth did too much wrong last year. Rich has over 200 games Andrews over 100 and Gardner close to that so we have enough experience.

Dev seems more like a Sloane than Crouch imo.

Yeah, I’m happy with that. Having not seen Dev since the Hawthorn game, I’m not sure how his kicking is progressing.

Looked a step up from Mitch Robbos kicking based off JLT and round 1 so am confident he'll be fine in that area. Mighty Lions thoughts?

I hope we're chasing Smith or Laird this offseason. Both would really fit in well with our style and would be a big improvement on Birchall or Ah Chee.

Smith the slightly better fit imo though ideally he'd be two years younger. Laird would be great but would still leave us needing some speed in defence if he were replacing Ah Chee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked a step up from Mitch Robbos kicking based off JLT and round 1 so am confident he'll be fine in that area. Mighty Lions thoughts?
Never stop being amazed by the knockers when we dont get a win on the board. Dev is definetely one of our future "best 22" for sure. We are lucky to finally have depth and choices rather than desperation like 5 years ago.

Never stop being amazed by the knockers when we dont get a win on the board. Dev is definetely one of our future "best 22" for sure. We are lucky to finally have depth and choices rather than desperation like 5 years ago.
I think you need to read the chain of the conversation. We weren’t really knocking anyone. And had nothing to do with Thursday nights game.

I hope we're chasing Smith or Laird this offseason. Both would really fit in well with our style and would be a big improvement on Birchall or Ah Chee.

That would leave Witherden and Answerth further down the pecking order. I think we’re flushed for half backs. Does Answerth move to the wing? Where does Witherden end up?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That would leave Witherden and Answerth further down the pecking order. I think we’re flushed for half backs. Does Answerth move to the wing? Where does Witherden end up?

I'd be retiring Birchall and running something like:

Rich Andrews Gardiner
Smith Adams Witherden

Bench: Starcevich

Ah Chee I genuinely feel will end up on the wing long term. I just can't see him becoming a consistent back flanker but could easily imagine him doing so on the wing when McCluggage becomes more of a full time mid.

I'd be retiring Birchall and running something like:

Rich Andrews Gardiner
Smith Adams Witherden

Bench: Starcevich

Ah Chee I genuinely feel will end up on the wing long term. I just can't see him becoming a consistent back flanker but could easily imagine him doing so on the wing when McCluggage becomes more of a full time mid.

Answerth? Mid as well?

Answerth? Mid as well?

I think he'll have to wait for Rich to retire tbh. Could go on the wing but I'd be preferencing Tom Berry to replace Mitch Robbo and Ah Chee to take Hughes spot. Answerth can also play HFF so who knows where he'll end up - I just think he's been overtaken by a few too many and will have to add more to his game to get back in.

I actually think Ah Chee's got a lot of potential . The polish to his game will come once they think he's been taught defensive skills for long enough and he gets more of the ball.

Answerth I'm just not sure about but he's still very young and hasn't had enough footy . One thing I do like is that he has long arms and can match up on taller opponents ,especially as he gets stronger.

I love what I've seen of Ely Smith but it hasn't been enough to form any judgement ,especially against the lower competition, but he looks the type of player that would step up in a higher tempo game. It's a shame some of these guys aren't getting much competitive action this year.

Charlie confirmed that he has had some offers from other clubs in latest lions video.

And seemed to laugh it off in the process. Won't be going anywhere.

Here's a more positive spin on Charlie contract speculation. Obviously leaked by the club, and we still can't re-sign anyone due to COVID so who knows.

THE Brisbane Lions are poised to re-sign star forward Charlie Cameron in the face of lucrative offers from at least three Victorian clubs.

Cameron is contracted to the Lions until the end of next season but reports earlier this month suggested he could be tempted to accept a big-money offer from a Victorian club.
However, it’s understood the Lions are extremely confident of keeping the 26-year-old small forward at the club long-term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back