List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
On Geelong prelim game
Dunkley replace Martin
Daniher replaces Ellis Yolmen
Where's the Dunkley to the Lions coming from, plenty of info was saying Daniher to us and Cockatoo likely but I haven't seen one bit of info linking us to Dunkley..... or is it just wishful thinking S5?

Pick 43 would be enough I think and fair for cockatoo . Geelong and is seem to do fair deals. I would then look to somehow upgrade our 2 picks for an early teens pick and enough to match bids for Coleman. I think our work would be pretty good - In Daniher , Cockatoo , elite talent in teens (Maybe another mid or young ruck ) and Blake Coleman.

I know what you are saying. It would take a different Lions forward structure to get the extra mid. New forward structure 3 talls, 3 smalls.
Daniher/Mcstay stay forward pinch hit in ruck. Normal structure for a lot of clubs
Extra mid on bench
New bench - Fwd,Mid,Mid,Def
Instead of - Fwd,Mid,Ruc,Def

Our official interchange for the Geelong final - AhChee ,Berry, MARTIN, Bailey
It would/could be - AhChee, Berry, DUNKLEY (example)- Bailey
Or have it this way- AhChee, Berry, McStay, Bailey (with Dunkley on field)

The extra mid gives us more mobility around the ground which we sadly lacked against Richmond & Geelong
Problem is you are talking about dropping a tall, which i doubt we are going to do. We play a ruck with 3 tall forwards, 1 of which takes the back up ruck duties. Daniher comes in to replace Big O, Big O replaces Stef. That is how it will work.

Whilst Big O has been great in the ruck, we have missed that big clunking target up forward. Daniher will give us this back.

I know what you are saying. It would take a different Lions forward structure to get the extra mid. New forward structure 3 talls, 3 smalls.
Daniher/Mcstay stay forward pinch hit in ruck. Normal structure for a lot of clubs
Extra mid on bench

The extra mid gives us more mobility around the ground which we sadly lacked against Richmond & Geelong
I’m confused since when have we been linked with Dunkley and in what world do we have the picks to make it happen?

would love to get him but this is real world and not SuperCoach

Go back and read the first few pages of this thread. Boy oh boy, wowee. A few posters have changed their tune re Daniher.:D

That said, he elevates us to a real chance, if it all works.

On the ruck situation - although he will never be an A grader, Archie showed enough in his last game or two for me to think maybe he could play that in emergency role if needed. He is contracted, so we don't have much option, IMO.

On the second ruck/forward role, it is plain my belief in Tom Fullarton. He must get games as he has the potential to be a real weapon. Coincidently they came to the AFL through the same pathway, but IMO Tom will have the same impact that Blicsavs gives the Cats.

Where this leaves Dan McStay I do not know. I would not play him in defence in front of Payne, Gardiner or Lester. Whilst he gives his all, he is a typical "get games in a lower team, but to truly contend an upgrade is needed" player. I feel he would admit that he has had ample opportunity, but is just not up to the quality needed to win a flag.

edit: read the post that first mentions Dunkley purely an example.Calm down, kiddies.

Where's the Dunkley to the Lions coming from, plenty of info was saying Daniher to us and Cockatoo likely but I haven't seen one bit of info linking us to Dunkley..... or is it just wishful thinking S5?
I just used Dunkley as an (example) post 5423. Substitute Cockatoo/Menegola/Jack Redden (mentioned by J Brown) Higgins (mentioned by G Lyon)+ Others

It could be anyone from another club or someone else from the Lions.
I just believe an extra mid is more valuable than a 2nd ruck. When our 2nd rucks are not producing.

Problem is you are talking about dropping a tall, which i doubt we are going to do. We play a ruck with 3 tall forwards, 1 of which takes the back up ruck duties. Daniher comes in to replace Big O, Big O replaces Stef. That is how it will work.

Whilst Big O has been great in the ruck, we have missed that big clunking target up forward. Daniher will give us this back.
I am not dropping a tall at all. Although Ellis-Yolmen is not short
See post 5426

I just used Dunkley as an (example) post 5423. Substitute Cockatoo/Menegola/Jack Redden (mentioned by J Brown) Higgins (mentioned by G Lyon)+ Others

It could be anyone from another club or someone else from the Lions.
I just believe an extra mid is more valuable than a 2nd ruck. When our 2nd rucks are not producing.

But the choice is between 2 rucks and 2 key forwards or 1 ruck, 2 key forwards and 1 ruck/forward.

They don’t plan on playing an extra mid

Extra mid on bench

Our structure has tended to be 7 defenders, 6 midfielders, 2 ruckman and 7 forwards (included Bailey is a forward in this scenario). Against Geelong, we dropped a forward to bring in a midfielder, but the midfielder that came in (CEY) predominantly played forward.

I reckon what will happen next year is that we'll drop a ruckman to play a forward/ruck (Daniher), and the likes of Bailey or Rayner (or Cockatoo) will end up playing more through the middle (to fill another midfield spot), leaving us with 7 defenders, 7 midfielders, 7 forwards and 1 ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the choice is between 2 rucks and 2 key forwards or 1 ruck, 2 key forwards and 1 ruck/forward.

They don’t plan on playing an extra mid
Last year they did not play an extra mid. I am quite aware of what was done last year.
No reason why 2021 can't have a change in structure

Last year they did not play an extra mid. I am quite aware of what was done last year.
No reason why 2021 can't have a change in structure

Noble said it wouldn’t so I don’t see it happening

Our structure has tended to be 7 defenders, 6 midfielders, 2 ruckman and 7 forwards (included Bailey is a forward in this scenario). Against Geelong, we dropped a forward to bring in a midfielder, but the midfielder that came in (CEY) predominantly played forward.

I reckon what will happen next year is that we'll drop a ruckman to play a forward/ruck (Daniher), and the likes of Bailey or Rayner (or Cockatoo) will end up playing more through the middle (to fill another midfield spot), leaving us with 7 defenders, 7 midfielders, 7 forwards and 1 ruck.
Pretty much what i have been saying
Just a matter of do we go after a best 22 mid that may be available. I used Dunkley as an example
Or use someone else

Playing 1 ruck and 3 key forwards instead of 2 rucks and 2 key forwards doesn’t give us an extra midfielder.
All three key forwards are not going to be sitting inside 50 all game. One of the big positives of getting Daniher is we can get him to sit up forward all game like we were doing with Hipwood earlier. This frees Hipwood and McStay to play more in the middle of the ground, where they can use their contested marking and field kicking to good effect. Playing either of them as a linking utility in the middle who sometimes roams forward, is effectively playing another midfielder.

Pretty much what i have been saying
Just a matter of do we go after a best 22 mid that may be available. I used Dunkley as an example
Or use someone else

I reckon we'll potentially push Bailey up to a wing (slowly taking over from Mitch) and use Rayner +/- Cockatoo (or similar) to provide a different look in the midfield. I could potentially then see someone like Robertson pushing for Mitch's spot in the side.

Not sure if we have the salary cap space, or potentially the trade pieces, to bring in a best 22 midfielder.

Basically from the bench you listed against Geelong, it'd be bringing Daniher to replace Martin, and then playing Bailey more on the wing. Then on field, swapping another forward in (e.g. Coleman) for a midfielder (CEY).

I wonder how he's going pace wise with those lower leg injuries. His acceleration and breakaway pace is definitely a feature of his highlights.

Yeah it's a huge highlight of his game, but even if he isn't as fast as he used to be, I think his ability to be a 'one touch' player and a player able to get the ball out of contested ball situations is very, very good. If he can keep his pace, that'll be a huge bonus.

Think people have forgotten how we do actually set up with our rucks/forwards. Previous to this year, Stef takes the big ruck minutes and Big O played as a forward with some ruck cover for Stef. We still played Hippy and McStay there as well. This is the structure we have been playing for years, and nothing looks like changing.

Big O takes number 1 ruck duties, Daniher comes in to take over Big O's previous forward position, pinch hitting in the ruck for him to have a rest. Hippy and McStay are use to playing in the same forward line as another big tall. This was the strength of getting Daniher over some of the other forwards available, he can take ruck minutes like Big O used to.

I reckon we'll potentially push Bailey up to a wing (slowly taking over from Mitch) and use Rayner +/- Cockatoo (or similar) to provide a different look in the midfield. I could potentially then see someone like Robertson pushing for Mitch's spot in the side.

Not sure if we have the salary cap space, or potentially the trade pieces, to bring in a best 22 midfielder.

Basically from the bench you listed against Geelong, it'd be bringing Daniher to replace Martin, and then playing Bailey more on the wing. Then on field, swapping another forward in (e.g. Coleman) for a midfielder (CEY).
Any of those changes you mentioned are possible.
The bench i mentioned was used as it was our last game.
You can change the names on the whiteboard but you end up with 1 defender on the bench the rest are mids or Fwd/mids
Still end up as you suggested 7 forwards-7 midfielders (mixture of Mid/Fwd) - 7 defenders - 1 Ruck

I think the club will have plans a,b,c,d,e going into the next few weeks trade & draft period including finding salary cap space for a best 22 player if one becomes available and suitable to the clubs needs

I’m confused since when have we been linked with Dunkley and in what world do we have the picks to make it happen?

would love to get him but this is real world and not SuperCoach
Take it to the bank...him & his brother will be playing at Essendon in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back