List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I get that you don’t gift games just for the sake of it but I still think we can do better in terms of exposing some of our fringe players to the AFL. It’s my only (very small) complaint of Fagan. I know we’ve been extremely lucky with a fantastic injury record, but it seems like we rely on the same 25-26 players.

It seems it would have been a perfect chance to rotate blokes like Wooller through a stable team just to see what they’ve got at the top level. Some players just go to another level when challenged.

There’s a fine line between making people really work for a spot in the team, and giving them a sniff at the top level.

I realise we’ve done it with guys like Coleman and Payne - and look at the results.

Personally I’d rather blokes like Witho or Hinge on the list than Birchall or CEY.

Even before Daniher joined Brisbane, I know people at the club who weren't at all complimentary of his attitude and unprofessional work ethic, particularly off-field when it came to rehabilitation and do everything it took to get back on-field.

when was this said?

If it was in the past 18 mths, then that view is irrelevant, given Daniher had asked to leave Essendon and forced to stay

I get that you don’t gift games just for the sake of it but I still think we can do better in terms of exposing some of our fringe players to the AFL. It’s my only (very small) complaint of Fagan. I know we’ve been extremely lucky with a fantastic injury record, but it seems like we rely on the same 25-26 players.

It seems it would have been a perfect chance to rotate blokes like Wooller through a stable team just to see what they’ve got at the top level. Some players just go to another level when challenged.

There’s a fine line between making people really work for a spot in the team, and giving them a sniff at the top level.

I realise we’ve done it with guys like Coleman and Payne - and look at the results.

Personally I’d rather blokes like Witho or Hinge on the list than Birchall or CEY.
Good points, but I think Coleman debut due to suspension and payne got his 5 games because of injuries. I wonder if either of them would have played under normal circumstances, I don't think either of them would have got an opportunity, and therefore we would not have seen the potential both possess.

Still couldn't be worse than that Collingwood runner that gave up a 50m penalty in the 18 GF resulting in a WCE goal at a crucial time of the game.

Same can be said for the likes of Luke Hammond, Jarrod Wright, Pat Garner throughout our premiership era that just couldn't crack games when we were a decent team.

Conversely, players in the same position as C Lyons and Wooller surely would've got games as the likes of say Scott Clouston, Broc McCauley, Josh Dyson, Leigh Ryswyck, Sam Michael, Jordon Bourke, Josh Clayton did when we were quite poor, particularly Corey who I know was on the verge of a senior game once or twice. No doubt there were other players too I've forgotten.

But then again, some guys just don't catch a break i.e. Cal Bartlett, Bart McCulloch, Patrick Weareden, Matt Tyler etc., which you could definitely add Toby and Corey to.

Just putting it out there for those objecting to Dylan12 only ever being cynical etc that both of these posts were not so (plenty of examples but these are recent and relevant and in this thread) ... sure he isn't Pollyanna and his general tone is often negative/contrarian but there have been far far worse and he is not only one of us but one whose utterances come from a loyal heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally from Mundulla - half way between Adelaide and Melbourne. Hardly home.

FWIW my old man used to play with his grandfahter.

Ok, so he's going to head "home" to Geelong ala Cameron.

Disappointed to lose Mitch Hinge, really feel like he offers something for the future, I'm expecting him to have a Ben Keays type impact at the Crows in 2021 and cement a spot in their best 22.

Disappointed to lose Mitch Hinge, really feel like he offers something for the future, I'm expecting him to have a Ben Keays type impact at the Crows in 2021 and cement a spot in their best 22.
I expect Keays to overtaken by their draftees in two to three years.

He’s still the same player he was for us. He just got to play in a weaker midfield, and his 100% effort every week got him a game ahead of a number of players who basically mailed in their year.

He’s still the same player he was for us. He just got to play in a weaker midfield, and his 100% effort every week got him a game ahead of a number of players who basically mailed in their year.
I thought they played him a bit as tagger in some games which I think helped him. My son played with him through juniors you can be sure he will fight for every game he is a tough little bugger.

I think he definitively improved his game. Had a fantastic year. Wouldn't replace any of our mids with him but still, good to see him elevate his craft to another level.

I think he definitively improved his game. Had a fantastic year. Wouldn't replace any of our mids with him but still, good to see him elevate his craft to another level.

I agree. One major thing that used to affect Ben was fumbling. Saw a fair bit of him this year and he was a lot cleaner picking up the ball. Still not overly damaging by foot, but his value looks to be in-and-under. Crouch going will help his job security.

Had a dip into the Collingwood website and they were very interested in Ballenden.Is he now safe from predators on the rookie list?

Had a dip into the Collingwood website and they were very interested in Ballenden.Is he now safe from predators on the rookie list?
We don’t know if he’s on the rookie list yet. Clubs could move two players straight to the rookie list. However we delisted three, and specifically mentioned redrafting them in the rookie draft.

We might be dangling a carrot, and seeing if another team bites.

I wonder if the Collingwood interest is driven by Knightmare, as he has a fixation of turning Ballenden in to a KPD.

I agree. One major thing that used to affect Ben was fumbling. Saw a fair bit of him this year and he was a lot cleaner picking up the ball. Still not overly damaging by foot, but his value looks to be in-and-under. Crouch going will help his job security.
Benny has this funny little habit when he kicks and he had it all through juniors. He looks down in that split second when the ball is about to hit his foot, it's like he is trying to get extra distance ny looking down the flicking his head up. Someone like Neale you will see charging away from a pack and his head stays up looking at the target even as the ball is delivered to his foot. Benny looks down then up. In the games he played for us, I think this has a tiny effect on his disposal by foot but he seems to be working on it and maybe its not as pronounced as it was. He was always made to play 2 age groups above with his older brother and his dad coached the brothers team and couldn't be at 2 games. That made 'Little Benny' tough but cant help thinking the extra effort to get the distance of the older boys developed that head flick. What ever its great to see him going well and he will have a career with the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back