May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He is obviously one of the best forwards in the game, but I honestly don’t think I could cheer for the bloke. Have zero love for Cameron after his dog act on Harris and seems like a bit of a knob head. Great footballer, but I won’t be forgiving him any time soon after his dirty actions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We'd forgive him pretty quick. Look at what Browny dished out early in his career.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
We'd forgive him pretty quick. Look at what Browny dished out early in his career.

True mate, but how forgivable would you be if Harris had sustained serious and long term injuries? Was one of the biggest dog acts of the modern era IMO. Can certainly see your point though and fully admit that I have a personal bias against him. I’ll never be a fan

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As much as everyone else, I would love a straight kicking, contested marking full forward to round out our forward line.

Unfortunately there really aren’t any that appear to be attainable via trade (or draft for that matter).

So I would rather look towards other avenues to goal.

Improve and increase our depth of small forwards and flankers who can kick goals and also rotate through the midfield.

And look to add midfielders who can kick goals from the midfield and rotate forward.

If we’re going to persist with Hipwood, McStay and a ruck forward, because we are unable to improve this part of the list, we need to add to the likes of Cameron, McCarthy and Rayner.
Sensible if we can't get anyone .If you look at the current crop available there's really no one we would be in the hunt for imo . Or mortgage the house on someone 3 or 4 other clubs might want.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
True mate, but how forgivable would you be if Harris had sustained serious and long term injuries? Was one of the biggest dog acts of the modern era IMO. Can certainly see your point though and fully admit that I have a personal bias against him. I’ll never be a fan

Yeah it would be weird. I'm still not too keen on Mitch Clark for the friendly fire on Browny.

Hodge also finished Nigel Lappins career but we forget.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As much as everyone else, I would love a straight kicking, contested marking full forward to round out our forward line.

Unfortunately there really aren’t any that appear to be attainable via trade (or draft for that matter).

So I would rather look towards other avenues to goal.

Improve and increase our depth of small forwards and flankers who can kick goals and also rotate through the midfield.

And look to add midfielders who can kick goals from the midfield and rotate forward.

If we’re going to persist with Hipwood, McStay and a ruck forward, because we are unable to improve this part of the list, we need to add to the likes of Cameron, McCarthy and Rayner.
Our game plan is already centered around our small forwards. Has been for nearly 2 seasons and is now pretty predictable with good sides being able to counter without too many problems.Think we should change focus to be more versatile depending on the opposition we play week to week. Good sides seem to have our measure.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If we are after a big strong contested marking KPF Tom Hawkins may be worth a go at with a 2 year contract while we are in our window and Ballenden and Skinner develop as replacement options.

He is 32 but has been very durable, hardly missed a game through injury over the last decade, Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of this season.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our game plan is already centered around our small forwards. Has been for nearly 2 seasons and is now pretty predictable with good sides being able to counter without too many problems.Think we should change focus to be more versatile depending on the opposition we play week to week. Good sides seem to have our measure.

Agreed think the forward line is good, would prefer adding another A grade mid. Hopefully we already have one in E Smith Robertson or Joyce

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
If we are after a big strong contested marking KPF Tom Hawkins may be worth a go at with a 2 year contract while we are in our window and Ballenden and Skinner develop as replacement options.

He is 32 but has been very durable, hardly missed a game through injury over the last decade, Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of this season.

I wouldn’t be totally against this Jas, but Tommy seems Geelong through and through and I know his wife is big into the social scene. They are also still in the premiership window. In saying that, a couple of years in the sun may be nice for them!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I wouldn’t be totally against this Jas, but Tommy seems Geelong through and through and I know his wife is big into the social scene. They are also still in the premiership window. In saying that, a couple of years in the sun may be nice for them!
Spot on. An ex-colleague of mine that was married to a Geelong player that was also a father / son to Geelong was and is very close to Hawkins and his wife and 100%, they are Geelong / Bellarine Penisnula people through and through. Obviously Tom and is old man are from Finley, NSW but given his old man playerd close to 200 games with the Cats, Tom spent a large part of his youth in Geelong and his wife and her family are a prominent and entrenched Geelong family that are very much in the Geelong / Bellarine Penisnula social scene. Personally, just don't see it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I know our game plan is centred around our small forwards.

Because we don’t have the quality talls for a different game plan.

What I was saying, is if we can’t trade or draft quality KPF that’s good enough to change our style, let’s improve upon what we already have.

We might not be able to add a quality KPF, but we might be able to add another Rayner type, or Zorko type. Maybe a Shia Bolton or Jack Ziebell type. Or the forward version of James Sicily.

Jeremy Cameron is a tool. He doesn’t belong with our boys. Check out his Instagram, he reeks of tosser
Could have said the same about Mitch before he came to us though...

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's obvious we need a stronger key forward to give us more variety in our gameplan and hopefully someone we can rely on to kick goals if opportunities are there . But the competition has been riddled for decades with 'promising' key forwards or recycled proven ones who have passed their use by date by the time you get them ,that have ended up being rank failures.

If we can't get anyone decent in the right age bracket with the better phase of their careers in front of them I wouldn't even bother. Surely we learnt with Fevola that thinking you're in a premiership window is flawed . How many clubs have fallen for that over the years.

In the meantime try to really improve the players that we have and strengthen the rest of our list. If someone who fits the bill pops up well and good.

It's obvious we need a stronger key forward to give us more variety in our gameplan and hopefully someone we can rely on to kick goals if opportunities are there . But the competition has been riddled for decades with 'promising' key forwards or recycled proven ones who have passed their use by date by the time you get them ,that have ended up being rank failures.

If we can't get anyone decent in the right age bracket with the better phase of their careers in front of them I wouldn't even bother. Surely we learnt with Fevola that thinking you're in a premiership window is flawed . How many clubs have fallen for that over the years.

In the meantime try to really improve the players that we have and strengthen the rest of our list. If someone who fits the bill pops up well and good.

If Fagan and Co. Want our key forwards to be the focal point and our highest scorers then we'd need to change the way we go forward. It's not as simple as adding a KPF and things will magically change.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If Fagan and Co. Want our key forwards to be the focal point and our highest scorers then we'd need to change the way we go forward. It's not as simple as adding a KPF and things will magically change.
I imagine if we had such a key forward, then the game plan would change to suit such a player.

ULittleBeauty

Debutant
Mar 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jon Ralph just floated the idea of Franklin to the Lions.... I doubt we could afford all of his $1.5m salary next year but maybe Fagan /Birchall/ Hodge could get in his ear

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jon Ralph just floated the idea of Franklin to the Lions.... I doubt we could afford all of his $1.5m salary next year but maybe Fagan /Birchall/ Hodge could get in his ear

Franklin is in the Daniher category for me.

Damaged goods.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Franklin

200.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back