List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
If lists get cut there will be many bargains up for grabs, will be an insane trade period this year.

Has Foxtel agreed to terms with the AFL yet?

Seems Caro has gone very quiet on this lately after being so bullish earlier on in the year.

News Corp tipped in around 750m and Murdoch 750m from his personal stash to keep Foxtel AUS afloat.

1.5 Billion of losses.

What will salary caps look like next year?
Spoke about it a bit on this week’s podcast. Reckons FoxSports want a couple of time slots locked in, i.e Thursday night and Saturday night as regular fixtures, and a deal will get done.

I wouldn't be getting over excited about anybody at the moment.

When is the next time you could see 80 or 100k at the MCG ? Things will have to change dramatically for that to happen.

The landscape has changed. Footy could conceivably be played in Queensland predominantly next year. Anything's possible.

If we sit back and be patient there are going to be many players to choose from in the next trade period.

Isn't Daniher out of contract this year?

So if we don't need to give up anything for him why not if we have a bit of cap space...

Theoretically if he is out of contract he could do a Jack Martin and just not sign another contract.

If the medical department can work their magic on him the way they have with McCarthy and Birchall.

I think we should be targeting 1 of the gws' 3 talls but if Daniher can get his body right he's up there with the best tall forwards in the game (big if but)
If he can’t get back on the park, you’re committing $800k per year, for four years for a player to sit in rehab, and handicapping your list management for that period.

Essendon are only letting Daniher walk for free if he nets them band 1 compensation. That means the base pay must meet band 1 requirements.

Otherwise Essendon will match and force a trade.

You can bet Dodoro will ask for McStay and Ely Smith and a first round pick.

If he can’t get back on the park, you’re committing $800k per year, for four years for a player to sit in rehab, and handicapping your list management for that period.

Essendon are only letting Daniher walk for free if he nets them band 1 compensation. That means the base pay must meet band 1 requirements.

Yeah I don't think we should be giving too much up for him either and I don't think he's worth 800k at the moment but at his best he is but as I said it's a big but.

I think essendon aren't in as strong a position as they were last year, they won't be able to "bully" a trade if he is out of contract as he could leave for nothing like Jack Martin.

Yeah I don't think we should be giving too much up for him either and I don't think he's worth 800k at the moment but at his best he is but as I said it's a big but.

I think essendon aren't in as strong a position as they were last year, they won't be able to "bully" a trade if he is out of contract as he could leave for nothing like Jack Martin.
In which case Sydney walk him through to the PSD.

We won’t have that luxury.

Do they actually have that kind of cash to match? There's a handful of clubs being mentioned as having a "war chest" and Essendon isn't one of them.

What’s he on now?

They don’t need a war chest, they just need to match a band 2 or lower offer.
Rockliff got band 2 at about $700k a year a couple of salary cap incrementing years ago, so matching band 2 or lower is already not far off the $800k you were talking about.

Usually players leave because their club wouldn't match the money on offer. If Essendon is going to match $800k and that's what others were offering anyway, he'd stay - regardless of matching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still remember how Essendon screwed us over band 1 compensation for Leuenberger.

That was a ludicrous expectation though, no idea why anyone thought we’d get anything better than a second rounder (I think it ended up as an end of second rounder). Leuy was cooked

It’s a beat up. The club is interested but haven’t spoken to him or Essendon. We are coming into silly season. Danihers are from the Riverina he wants Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I really hope we aren’t looking at Daniher. He has a paper mache groin. We already have a big $ backman Who can’t kick further than 40m injured consistently and players moving past him. Trust what we have. Just because he kicks like 🦁 from a set shot, doesn’t mean we need him. Zac Williams I’d be keen on.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lions-interested-in-bombers-forward-daniher-20200812-p55l41.html
Eric Hipwood – contracted until the end of 2023 – showed his talent on Saturday when he booted five goals in a match-winning display against the Western Bulldogs. Before that, he'd kicked 11 goals in 10 games.

Daniel McStay – who the club is very happy with and who is contracted until the end of 2022 – has only kicked seven goals from nine games this season.

If we can get him fit and keep him fit, Daniher would be a tremendous acquisition.

It’s a beat up. The club is interested but haven’t spoken to him or Essendon. We are coming into silly season. Danihers are from the Riverina he wants Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Possibly. Could be the player manager starting to create some rumours. But credit where it's due, Sam had decent mail on Lachie Neale coming to us well before anyone else. He may have a credible source within the club.

Possibly. Could be the player manager starting to create some rumours. But credit where it's due, Sam had decent mail on Lachie Neale coming to us well before anyone else. He may have a credible source within the club.
He says we haven’t spoken to Essendon or Daniher, but are watching him.

It’s a beat up story.

Phone club, “hey have you spoken to Essendon or Daniher’s manager? No, well ok. Are you monitoring his performances? Ah cool, so you’re waiting to see if he gets back out on the park.” Hangs up phone.

Goes off and writes story.

Literally everything in the article has been discussed on here and the trade board. Repeatedly.

Do not want to get into a trade scenario with essendon, i think it's either we get him as a free agent or nothing.

We could possibly make essendon over pay to match our bid, walk away and target someone else on their list like a Saad.

Seems to me if Daniher's likely to come good he'll stay at Essendon or if he moves go to Sydney.

And if he's unlikely to come good we'll be in with a shot at a cheaper price.

Do not want to get into a trade scenario with essendon, i think it's either we get him as a free agent or nothing.

We could possibly make essendon over pay to match our bid, walk away and target someone else on their list like a Saad.
Essendon won’t match a high offer, as they would get band 1 compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back