List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I think Ely Smith has plenty of potential on anything I've seen. Looks a real footballer , just an A Grade build for a tough midfielder.

He's only played , what, 15 games in the NEAFL. Obviously needs to adjust to the tempo and build his fitness and tank. Could be a while before he's ready , no idea how he's traveling this year , but he's one guy on our list I'd be persevering with.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/willem-drew-ooc-2020.1245177/

Reckon he would be worth a punt. Injuries have kept him out of Port's best 22 but is a good player. Better than CEY and if fit IMO is best 22. Does everything well with no real weakness outside injuries. Is fairly athletic too with some good pace for a inside-outside midfielder. Not an A grader but a very good role player who would offer more than a few list cloggers at the Lions.

We’ve targeted him in the past. I think he’d be a reasonable addition.

Drew would be ahead of best 22 CEY and obviously the likes of Mathieson, Smith, C.Lyons, McFadyen all who are inside mids. Drew is as clean as they come. Make it happen Lions. Cheap pickup with great potential.

Connor McFayden will be a gun as a 70/30 hybrid third tall forward/mid mix. He’s hugely undervalued on this board.

Our list cloggers pretty obvious IMO: Skinner, A Smith, Wooller, Christensen, J Allison, and probably Tom Joyce (like Joyce, but no need for about undersized 182cm mid), and Corey Lyons,

You haven't watched many North games this year if you think Atley is worth a look. Have alook at any, and I mean any, North thread and you will see a truck load of negative comments on Atley. He is a bruise free footballer. Try and find a tough tackle.

Most North supporters would love to get anything for him.

players have bad years and North fans are fickle.

Charlie Cameron went about 3 months without kicking multiple goals in a game in the season before we picked him up.

Don’t worry the north fans will be pumping him up once he’s on the trade table.

I think Ely Smith has plenty of potential on anything I've seen. Looks a real footballer , just an A Grade build for a tough midfielder.

He's only played , what, 15 games in the NEAFL. Obviously needs to adjust to the tempo and build his fitness and tank. Could be a while before he's ready , no idea how he's traveling this year , but he's one guy on our list I'd be persevering with.
I agree with all of the above, having watched all last years NEAFL games. I think he may get frustrated soon as a few of them are, with the lack of opportunity in this condensed season. I would play Ely and WOOLLER a couple of games. Dev also.

Connor McFayden will be a gun as a 70/30 hybrid third tall forward/mid mix. He’s hugely undervalued on this board.

Our list cloggers pretty obvious IMO: Skinner, A Smith, Wooller, Christensen, J Allison, and probably Tom Joyce (like Joyce, but no need for about undersized 182cm mid), and Corey Lyons,
Joyce is what, 4 or 5 centimetres taller than Neale.

I’m willing to give Joyce a year or two more, if he can get over his injuries, to see if he has what it takes.

Was highly regarded after his bottom age year, before hip issues caused him to miss his draft year.

I’m willing to give Joyce a year or two more, if he can get over his injuries, to see if he has what it takes.

Was highly regarded after his bottom age year, before hip issues caused him to miss his draft year.
We have pretty similar type of mids on our list. Ely, Dev, Matho, T.Berry, Lyons etc. With list reduction, spots are coming at a premium. Joyce doesn't offer any point of difference compared to some of the players listed. We probably need players with speed and good kicking skills to complement guys like Lyons and Neale.

We have pretty similar type of mids on our list. Ely, Dev, Matho, T.Berry, Lyons etc. With list reduction, spots are coming at a premium. Joyce doesn't offer any point of difference compared to some of the players listed. We probably need players with speed and good kicking skills to complement guys like Lyons and Neale.

He looked quick in his draft video.

As a keen follower of the Neal last year I'd be giving Joyce every opportunity. He seems to me to be one of those lucky footballers who just seems to be in the right place at the right time. Footy iq.

McFadyen is a similar player. For his size, a ridiculously good pack mark.

The guy I'm pleading to the footy gods about is the boy Madden. His first 6 strides are incredible. If he can get his tackling up to scratch he'd be a super dangerous defensive forward.

He looked quick in his draft video.
He would of been 70 odd kg in his draft year, now he's listed at 86kg on the club website. You tend to lose your speed when you pack on 10kg, specially for a inside mid. Sam Mayes was a great example of these.

I rather take a gamble on someone like a Nakia Cockatoo (as a example), then give Joyce a contract extension. Their are far better players with higher ceiling out there, that would warrant a list spot then Tom Joyce.

Last edited:
I hope the constant chat in this thread/ board around KPFs and who we should target is put in to perspective after our performance last week/ GWS' insipid output over the last couple weeks - after the weak performances Cameron, Himmelberg and Finalyson continue to dish up when it comes to contested marking and competing, i personally feel much more content with our own stock - in particular McStay, especially after a couple contests last week.

I think a high pressure crumber should be high on the list this off season - as good as Charlie is he's playing more as a small full forward quite often this year, with McCarthy much the same, and Rayner also an aerial threat (though great pressure forward when switched on).. is there any other Dan Butler types/pure crumbers out there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I saw of Tom Joyce last year, he has got something IMO.
He is definitely worth persisting with.

He would of been 70 odd kg in his draft year, now he's listed at 86kg on the club website. You tend to lose your speed when you pack on 10kg, specially for a inside mid. Sam Mayes was a great example of these.

I rather take a gamble on someone like a Nakia Cockatoo (as a example), then give Joyce a contract extension. Their are far better players with higher ceiling out there, that would warrant a list spot then Tom Joyce.

There is no point making calls on guys when you have no idea what you are talking about. He is in no way comparable to Mayes.

Just because he has bulked up which is natural for a boy becoming a man, doesn't make him suddenly slow. Look at Mccluggage, he actually seems quicker now and he has put on heaps of weight.

He is quick and good at getting the ball in tight and off the ground. Reminded me of Bailey when i've watched him in the NEAFL. Was really coming on late last season.

There is no point making calls on guys when you have no idea what you are talking about. He is in no way comparable to Mayes.

Just because he has bulked up which is natural for a boy becoming a man, doesn't make him suddenly slow. Look at Mccluggage, he actually seems quicker now and he has put on heaps of weight.

He is quick and good at getting the ball in tight and off the ground. Reminded me of Bailey when i've watched him in the NEAFL. Was really coming on late last season.
Jeezus, come down. All i said was you "tend to lose your speed" when gaining bulk, I never called him slow, but he's not fast either. Hence the Mayes reference. When we drafted Mayes he was athletically gifted and was a point of difference, but over the pre-season as he put on bulk, he lost his athlete edge. By all means he wasn't the slowest player, but wasn't fast either. He lost his point of difference. That's all I was stating, wasn't comparing apples for apples and honestly you say he's quick on the bases of watching NEAFL games. There is a big gap between playing at the speed of a AFL game vs the NEAFL.

I hope the constant chat in this thread/ board around KPFs and who we should target is put in to perspective after our performance last week/ GWS' insipid output over the last couple weeks - after the weak performances Cameron, Himmelberg and Finalyson continue to dish up when it comes to contested marking and competing, i personally feel much more content with our own stock - in particular McStay, especially after a couple contests last week.
The modern game really isn't designed to their advantage, is it.

On a few of those mentioned:

Joyce - looked pretty good when he got a chance to play onball early last season. Lots of competition for inside spots in that NEAFL team but he showed some promise. More so than Smith for mine who has consistently disappointed me in the games I have watched him play. I give him another year.

McFayden - if he was going to make it it was going to be as a forward who could play in the midfield. He has been building his tank since he has arrived and has not gotten much midfield time yet. He has shown he is a very capable mark of the ball. As a bid bodied mid who can go forward and be a dangerous forward he has a fair bit of potential that has barely been scratched yet. He is one I would also be giving another year.

Madden - I would love to see him get a game this year. I like him behind the ball but if they introduced him up forward I would have no issue. He is lightning quick and really offers something different for the team. I think he is for the chop at the end of the year but he is one I really hope we keep and is one who if he came good he changes the dynamic of the team.

Atley - we are overloaded for HBFers and he adds little to our team. He has pace but that is about all. If we chased a HBFer I would hope we went after one with a higher ceiling.

no NEAFL makes it hard to judge those we brought in and if anyone developed.
Be nice a 2 min highlight package or just something :)
Last 2 years our main team been the same week in and out apart from injuries mainly.
So very hard for anyone to get a look in.
we also have a few players who fringe and just miss out.
Makes it harder again for someone like Joyce, E Smith, Dev, Cox etc to get a game

How highly regarded? Was he considered a potential top 10/20 pick?
Potential first round, top 30.

A lot of kids outside the top group are like that. There are always kids in that 10 to 30 range who can bolt up or slide back, depending on their top age year.

Bit of media talk that Saints are chasing Caldwell from GWS, with a second round pick being mentioned.

I hope we throw our hat in the ring, and offer the later of our two first round picks.
Harry Perryman, Xavier O'Halloran and Jackson Hately are 3 other young players from the Giants OOC this year who could be forced out to clear cap space for Jeremy Cameron and Zac Williams.

I'm not sold on Hately but like the other 2 at the right price if we can't tempt Caldwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back