List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Is Jeremy Cameron gettable? Out of sorts at GWS and out of contract.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He'll always be a villain to me for what he did to Harris. He may have expressed remorse and Harris might not hold any hard feelings over the incident, but I do. So I hope he doesn't come here.

Casboult is just as bad as McStay with his set shots. The only reason his goal accuracy stats don't look worse is because a big chunk of his shots go out of bounds on the full. He will also be 31 at the start of next year. He would be a waste of list space IMO when we have the same inaccurate contested marking player in McStay. Two of them in the same team is dangerous.

I actually worry about getting Daniher for the exact same reason. He is too unreliable set shot. He is only just a bit better than Casboult at his set shots. I think we can carry Hipwood and McStay when it comes to their inconsistency at set shots (I feel like Hipwood is a decent set shot taker actually), but I think having 3 tall forwards all with questionable set shots at times is really dangerous and we will set ourselves up for a lot of frustrating games were we kick a lot of behinds. If we were to get in an experienced key foward, I think one of the musts is to have a decent set shot ability (i.e. Brown or Cameron).

I am still a bit fan of Peter Wright actually. He fits our needs so well. He is essentially a Josh Jenkins type. That will ruck 10-20% of game time and have the ability to kick 2 goals a game. I'd happy give up one of our late first round picks for him and pay him a decent contract. I believe he is a decent set shot taker also.

Last edited:

I really hope we don’t consider Jeremy Cameron, probably the most overrated player in the league. I think Casboult could work and will cost us nothing.

We'd have to ask the question of a player that kicked 76.50 last year. 150+ marks and 13 Brownlow votes.

GWS have internal issues and he either puts his hand up to help them fix it, or he's out to win a premiership in his final 4 - 5 years of footy.

We average the most Inside 50s in the AFL...somehow GWS are 16th. Pretty tough for a CHB with a dumb coach :huh:

I think J Cameron on the way out.. been played on a wing. I assume he said he look around and Coach said ok I look at other players in your position.
Something wrong at GWS with Captain dropped.
Seems all gone south after Leon resigned as coach.

Casboult is just as bad as McStay with his set shots. The only reason his goal accuracy stats don't look worse is because a big chunk of his shots go out of bounds on the full. He will also be 31 at the start of next year. He would be a waste of list space IMO when we have the same inaccurate contested marking player in McStay. Two of them in the same team is dangerous.

I actually worry about getting Daniher for the exact same reason. He is too unreliable set shot. He is only just a bit better than Casboult at his set shots. I think we can carry Hipwood and McStay when it comes to their inconsistency at set shots (I feel like Hipwood is a decent set shot taker actually), but I think having 3 tall forwards all with questionable set shots at times is really dangerous and we will set ourselves up for a lot of frustrating games were we kick a lot of behinds. If we were to get in an experienced key foward, I think one of the musts is to have a decent set shot ability (i.e. Brown or Cameron).

I am still a bit fan of Peter Wright actually. He fits our needs so well. He is essentially a Josh Jenkins type. That will ruck 10-20% of game time and have the ability to kick 2 goals a game. I'd happy give up one of our late first round picks for him and pay him a decent contract. I believe he is a decent set shot taker also.
If he had the ability to kick 2 goals a game, he’d be in the Suns side, ahead of Day.

If he had the ability to kick 2 goals a game, he’d be in the Suns side, ahead of Day.
He has a career average of 1.3 goals a game and 5 hitouts a game, all before the age of 24. Put him in a top 4 team and i think he could go close to 2 goals a game.

I take it you disagree but I'd argue he has the talent and has shown enough to suggest he can be a 30-40 goal a season forward who can go part time in the ruck. I think that fits our needs perfectly.

I don't know the full story, but GCS do have a lot of key position depth. I think he would be getting more opportunities at other clubs.

Some good takes there, but let's put hard numbers to it. I found data for set shot percentage from the beginning of the 2018 season, including shots that missed the goals altogether:

Brown - 61% from 178 shots
Cameron - 56% from 174 shots
Casboult - 51% from 68 shots
Daniher - 39% from 28 shots
Hipwood - 49% from 145 shots
McInerney - 56% from 43 shots
McStay - 48% from 66 shots
Wright - 50% from 36 shots

I appreciate that the sample size is pretty small for Wright and Daniher. From this data alone, Wright, Casboult, McStay and Hipwood all seem to be on the same level, Brown and Cameron a bit above, Daniher well below. But, I haven't accounted for shot distance. Unfortunately I can only find that data for total shots including those from general play, but I'll post it anyway to give an indication.

Shots 0-24m:
Brown - 14% of total shots, 81% accuracy
Cameron - 16% of total shots, 73% accuracy
Casboult - 18% of total shots, 73% accuracy
Daniher - 17% of total shots, 75% accuracy
Hipwood - 11% of total shots, 70% accuracy
McInerney - 30% of total shots, 63% accuracy
McStay - 28% of total shots, 81% accuracy
Wright - 6% of total shots, 100% accuracy (but this is only 3 shots)

Shots 25-49m:
Brown - 64% of total shots, 63% accuracy
Cameron - 50% of total shots, 54% accuracy
Casboult - 45% of total shots, 57% accuracy
Daniher - 38% of total shots, 44% accuracy
Hipwood - 49% of total shots, 41% accuracy
McInerney - 60% of total shots, 56% accuracy
McStay - 53% of total shots, 46% accuracy
Wright - 38% of total shots, 53% accuracy

Shots 50+m:
Brown - 22% of total shots, 33% accuracy
Cameron - 34% of total shots, 36% accuracy
Casboult - 37% of total shots, 33% accuracy
Daniher - 46% of total shots, 18% accuracy
Hipwood - 40% of total shots, 41% accuracy
McInerney - 9% of total shots, 20% accuracy
McStay - 19% of total shots, 33% accuracy
Wright - 56% of total shots, 46% accuracy

I didn't account for shot angle, but I can't be bothered right now.

What can we determine from this? Obviously, everyone is a worse kick the further away from goal they get. Everyone except Big O is a good shot from within 25m, although Wright's 100% record is off a very small sample size.

Wright is indeed not a bad shot for goal, but his numbers suffer because more than half of his shots are from outside 50. Even so, he kicks them at a very good rate, relatively speaking. Daniher shouldn't be kicking at all from 25+. Brown is superb from midrange, and Casboult isn't too shabby either.

Looking at the men already on our list, Hipwood's competitive advantage is in kicking outside 50, McStay's is from shots in close and Big Os is from midrange. If we're looking for someone to cover the midrange areas while Oscar is rucking, Brown is elite and Casboult and Wright are both pretty good. If we're looking for a long-range kicker, Wright is the clear choice. They all seem good enough from close range.

Last edited:
He doesn't look interested this year so may want out, if motivated he'd be a great addition although I wouldn't be paying him anywhere near the dollars he reportedly wants.
I watched their last game, the commentators said a couple of times Cameron was playing, "no interest football", the press conference afterward and the coach said he would have to make more hard calls this week, he would say who or when pressed wouldn't nominate Cameron but I gathered thats who they were referring to. He really does seem to have left GWS if attitude is any gauge. Not that I'd have him I think we have other pressing needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think if we were able to get any of Jeremy Cameron, Ben Brown, or Joe Daniher, we would be absolutely over the moon.

In some form or another, we have been looking for a key forward with no luck for some time now, with no real luck due to the fact most teams are very reluctant to let their gun key forwards go and Brisbane has only very recently become an attractive option for players looking to move.

Just think of previous years and the key forwards we have been linked to and/or gone after: Tippett, McGuane, Reid, Dawes, Ryder, Josh Walker, even Jayden Post. Throw in the key forwards we have drafted who haven't worked out - Close, Schache, Freeman - and this is a mission we've been on for some time.

So to suddenly have three of the competition's elite key forwards potentially on the market is such a radically different scenario to what options have been out there before now. Any of those three would make us a significantly better side I think.

From personal preference, I'd probably say this is the order I'd have them in as a fit for us:

1. Jeremy Cameron: There's little doubt he has been one of the competition's best players in the past and has all the talent to be that again. I think under Fagan's style of coaching he might be set free a little bit to play on instinct again and we might see him return to his best form.

2. Joe Daniher: He's the type of forward we need most - contested marker, able to help in the ruck, and is the sort of player who we could build a forward line around. Also would be the best of the three in giving our small forwards more opportunity by bringing the ball to ground.

3. Ben Brown: Very solid option, but doesn't have the same sense of X-factor as those other two - just a very reliable goalkicker who would probably command less salary cap space than Daniher or Cameron which could be an advantage.

They do seem easily the three top prospects this FA/trade period to me though, and any of them would be brilliant.

Last edited:
Stephenson avoids contact at all costs. Can't have a player like that running about. Wingard looked like he was ready to repay the Hawks in the game against us this year. He killed us. Not done a whole lot since about round 4. I don't know if he struggling with a body that can't do what it use too or he loses interest quick? Neither would be any value to our team.

We have very settled club and have good depth that we can bring in the likes if Witherden and Coleman when we have players out. I would hate for us to trade a player in and unsettle things. Free agents are more desirable as they don't cost us players going the other way and draft picks.

We need to keep hitting the draft hard and stay up the top for a long period. I don't want to go back to the Voss / Leppa days. If a quality player is available and wants to come to Lions by all means have a crack but otherwise I wouldn't be talking to a million different players and unsettling our current list.

Totally agree. Stick with the draft unless a quality player is available and don't sell the farm for Fev 2.0.

The Cockatoo talk is building:

MoneyBall: All the latest AFL trade news and whispers

Nakia Cockatoo appears headed towards a multi-year deal at Brisbane as he seeks security after just two AFL games in three seasons at the Cats.

The wildly talented No. 10 draft pick has played just 34 AFL games and returned to Geelong for wrist surgery on Thursday.

His partner Grace is also expecting their first baby, with continuing talks underway between the Cats and Cockatoo about his future.

But the Herald Sun understands the security of a contract longer than a season on a base wage appears irresistible as he follows the pathway trodden by ex-Cat Lincoln McCarthy.

Last edited:
Just hope we have enough $$$ to not lose our own boys by securing others like Cockatoo.

In terms of the Daniher/Cameron/Brown debate, we'd be silly to not take any of them if available.

I think it is the notion of years which is the security for Cockatoo if true. Adams hasn’t been a ‘win’ in the we will get you back out on the park. Wait and see though.

I think it is the notion of years which is the security for Cockatoo if true. Adams hasn’t been a ‘win’ in the we will get you back out on the park. Wait and see though.

Adams seemed to have more recurring injuries while with Linc it was more a mixture of injuries or bad luck. Wonder which one applies to Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back