List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I hate myself for starting this thread in February, but Jake Niall's written a very interesting piece that felt like a good place for this year's conversation to start.

Why Brisbane is a better fit for Joe Daniher than the Swans

But in the event that his exit was merely postponed and he chooses to leave (using his rights as a free agent), Daniher and his management should be considering another northern club, which, on most counts, shapes as a better fit for Joe than the Swans and vice-versa.

The Brisbane Lions are closer to premiership contention than the Swans. They have a clear weakness in attack – the absence of one bona fide, quality power forward – that Daniher would redress.

Sydney's midfield will not give Daniher the kind of supply, in the short term at least, that he would receive at the Gabba, where he would be flanked by Charlie Cameron, Cameron Rayner and a still-developing 204-centimetre Eric Hipwood, who is really the game’s tallest half-forward flanker rather than a key forward.

Naturally I'm hoping we won't need the assistance with the developments of our talls over the season ahead, but this is a thought that occurred to me (and some others here) last trade period and still would seem worth thinking about. It seems a much better fit for both parties than Sydney ever has.

I hate myself for starting this thread in February, but Jake Niall's written a very interesting piece that felt like a good place for this year's conversation to start.

Why Brisbane is a better fit for Joe Daniher than the Swans

Naturally I'm hoping we won't need the assistance with the developments of our talls over the season ahead, but this is a thought that occurred to me (and some others here) last trade period and still would seem worth thinking about. It seems a much better fit for both parties than Sydney ever has.
Perfect Segway to getting rid of Mcstay who is quite obviously s**t and should be playing for the Redland Bay under 13’s

Daniher's body really seems cooked but we'll have to wait and see how he goes this year. The player I'd love to add to our list more than anyone else later this year is Zac Williams. What a force we'd be with him added to our line up.
Well that would just be a dream.

and Sydney can have Daniher.

I don’t mind the idea, a power key forward is the missing piece for mine. We have a decent draft hand to make a trade as well.

Edit: we don’t need a decent trade, he’s a free agent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m another unqualified medico who also believes Daniher’s body is “cooked”. So that’s a hard no from me.

That said, if Daniher makes a full recovery and looks to have even 3 years of decent footy left in him, then I’d be throwing a cement truck full of cash at him.

Perfect Segway to getting rid of Mcstay who is quite obviously s**t and should be playing for the Redland Bay under 13’s
My grandsons Yeronga Devils under 13s side need a tall defender... I'll pass it on to list management at Yeronga and we could have a bidding war on our hands.

Don't need or want Daniher. As others have said, probably cooked. By seasons end Connor Ballenden will fill that role.

Last edited:
Daniher is an AA quality key forward. No brainer to go after him if all boxes are ticked. We got some weird hopeful thoughts in these threads of the past few years. McStay will be this, Hipwood will be elite, Ballenden will be a gun.... none of that has happened. Daniher makes us a 2-3 goal a game better team. If we had a decent key forward last finals we would have defeated the GWS.

Daniher is an AA quality key forward. No brainer to go after him if all boxes are ticked. We got some weird hopeful thoughts in these threads of the past few years. McStay will be this, Hipwood will be elite, Ballenden will be a gun.... none of that has happened. Daniher makes us a 2-3 goal a game better team. If we had a decent key forward last finals we would have defeated the GWS.
Who across the AFL is better than Hipwood comparing like for like, position and age. He might not be "elite" but he is bloody good for a young gun at this stage of his career.

Elite is a big call but IMO Hippy is on track to be a very good KPF, still only 22 years of age so another couple of years before he reaches the start of his prime years, on the other hand Dan is 25 this year so we might be seeing peak Dan now ie. serviceable.

Connor reminds me of Jono Freeman in that he lacks a vital ingredient for a KPF, aggression/mongrel, IMO it is hard to manufacture that, it's an innate quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I didn’t see Daniher out there at the end of last season for Essendon.

The big “if”, which many posters have mentioned, is if Daniher can get over his injuries and return to the field as the same player he was before injury.

The thing is, and I’m not the only person here to have said it, Hipwood isn’t a KPF. He’s a 203cm forward flanker.

He generally doesn’t play a traditional KPF’s game.
I am not sure that there is such a thing as a traditional key forwards game anymore.
All need to be able to get up and back down the ground these days which “traditionally” was not the role of the KPF.
Sometimes I think a stay at home forward would once again be a good move.
How many times do we see teams break the lines and then have to stop and wait because there is no one at home?

He is a 26 year old, injury prone player who is going to demand top dollar. If we pay him we prevent ourselves paying other players. With the question marks over him I am more than happy for us to let someone else take the risk.

Who across the AFL is better than Hipwood comparing like for like, position and age. He might not be "elite" but he is bloody good for a young gun at this stage of his career.

A big power forward would allow Hipwoof to play a true high half forward role, which when all things are considered, he is and if we could play him there it would be ace.

Daniher will be playing at the Bombers in 2020, if he plays a full and good season he'll be out of our price range IMO, with our young guns like McCluggage, Berry, Hipwood, Andrews, Rayner reaching their prime years we'll need salary cap space for them, and if he has another injury riddled season we wont want him anyway.

We need one of Skinner, Ballenden, Wooller or Fullarton to come on in the next year or 2.

Ideal players to target this trade window are Zac Williams, Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore.... De Goey probably just as expensive as Daniher would be though.......... but wouldn't it be sweet to steal a gun from the Pies after we took them to the cleaners in the Beams trade.

Daniher will be playing at the Bombers in 2020, if he plays a full and good season he'll be out of our price range IMO, with our young guns like McCluggage, Berry, Hipwood, Andrews, Rayner reaching their prime years we'll need salary cap space for them, and if he has another injury riddled season we wont want him anyway.

We need one of Skinner, Ballenden, Wooller or Fullarton to come on in the next year or 2.

Ideal players to target this trade window are Zac Williams, Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore.... De Goey probably just as expensive as Daniher would be though.......... but wouldn't it be sweet to steal a gun from the Pies after we took them to the cleaners in the Beams trade.

Would De Goey be a free agent end of 2021?

They've said that plenty of times about Buddy too
Buddy built up his frame year on year.
Hipwood's body looks like it won't get anywhere near his size.
Anyhow Buddy is once in a generation type forward.

Best we can hope for Hippy is he gets stronger each year so he can hold his position when he finds himself under a high ball.
Up until then he will be leading up, coming in from behind, or from the side.
If he could regularly hold chest marks that would increase his influence on games.

He has so much upside and i hope 2020 is the year everything clicks for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back