List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t think so.

Most of the talk will be around if clubs survive, what the league looks like on the other side.

I think you can rip up almost all existing sponsorships contracts, the media rights contracts. Almost anything that has generated income will change, because we don’t know which companies will survive this, and what companies will look like on the other side.

Rip up the tpp, it’s out the window. We’ll see what the new tpp and contracts look like on the other side.

I heard from someone at the AFL that one of the considerations being looked at to help clubs is to reduce list sizes to 35 players.

Try to doing that (reduce our current list by 12-14 players) with our current list whilst also factoring in bringing an extra player or two from u/18 levels.

Last edited:
I heard from someone at the AFL that one of the considerations being looked at to help clubs is to reduce list sizes to 35 players.

Try to doing that (reduce our current list by 12-14 players) with our current list whilst also factoring in bringing an extra player or two from u/18 levels.

I wonder if those 12-14 would play for free or part time wages

BRISBANE
Big fish – Stefan Martin

Seventh in the club’s best-and-fairest award in 2019, the number one ruck option for the Lions will be 34 at year’s end. Tore his PCL in round one this year and is set for an eight-to- ten week stint on the sidelines. Will be interesting to see how he recovers. Only clubs after a one-year ruckman would consider a play for the restricted free agent.
Minnows – The Lions look good on a 2020 front, but 2021 looms as a monster year for the Lions. Cam Rayner, Charlie Cameron, Daniel Rich, Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage and Jarryd Lyons just some of the names out of contract.

What worries me is that in these uncertain times is that the bigger clubs will be able to market themselves to players who are able to move. They can find 'other income streams' like sponsorships/jobs through coteries etc to make their players look better protected and looked after during the crisis. The times they are a changing.

Last edited:
What worries me is that in these uncertain times is that the bigger clubs will be able to market themselves to players who are able to move. They can find 'other income streams' like sponsorships/jobs through coteries etc to make their players look better protected and looked after during the crisis. The times they are a changing.
That they are.

I actually think times will change for fans too.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people's priorities change and their fanaticism to the AFL / their club will reduce drastically as a result of the lockdown / loss of jobs etc. I also think attendances will be a lot lower whenever AFL recommences with fans in attendance.

As for players, I agree. Times like this will no doubt reiterate to some the importance of family and their own priorities, so unfortunately the landscape will change and we'll just have to adapt given our club employs players (probably more than any other club) from outside its home state.

That they are.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people's priorities change and their fanaticism to the AFL / their club will reduce drastically as a result of the lockdown / loss of jobs etc. I also think attendances will be a lot lower whenever AFL recommences with fans in attendance.

As for players, I agree. Times like this will no doubt reiterate to some the importance of family and their own priorities, so unfortunately the landscape will change and we'll just have to adapt given our club employs players (probably more than any other club) from outside its home state.

I kind of mentally scoffed when I read this but lets face it, a hard rains gonna fall.

That they are.

You could be right - it's near on impossible to predict the effect this will have long term on our society.

I'm a little more hopeful though. The money will return to the game - maybe not exactly as much, but not far off it. Foxtel and Seven barely have functioning business models without AFL. And even when those broadcasters fall away, times like this are seeing massive booms for the streaming services who will be bidding for the rights - so they'll be able to offer more money.

I also think that on the other side of this, people are so desperately going to want the escape of football. The biggest threat to the game has probably been the increasing busyness of the world - with so many other options of ways to fill the time, footy was up against it. I don't think that's likely to be the case anymore.

Who knows though. Maybe I'm just talking myself into thinking everything will be as close to normal as possible for my own peace of mind.

I will say though that the potential vulnerability of our club among many others right now has given me, for the first time really, some sense of understanding of how Fitzroy fans must have felt for so long.

Smaller lists are inevitable ,especially if the AFL wants to keep 18 clubs or anywhere near it.

Let's face it sponsorships are gone until sponsors see what the competition looks like when they're able to put together a proper season. Likewise the stronger clubs with cash or access to it and a larger supporter base are likely to find good players more amenable to offers and the weaker clubs less resilient in keeping them.

Maybe it won't turn out the way it looks , we need to wait to see how deep this crisis cuts, but I'm not overly hopeful of us coming back in 2021 in anywhere near as strong a position as we entered 2020. Sadly.

Backing up what Dylan12 mentioned last week, Jimmy Bartel on The Age Real Footy podcast said the AFL are looking at 35 player lists.
I don’t envy those that would have to cut our list by 12 plus another one or two to account for bringing in a couple of draftees. The first to go would be whoever isn’t contracted beyond 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From listening to Jimmy Bartel today, sounds like the Giants are trying to negotiate some form of rookie list to be kept beyond the 35 player senior list.

From listening to Jimmy Bartel today, sounds like the Giants are trying to negotiate some form of rookie list to be kept beyond the 35 player senior list.
What did he say?

What did he say?
That the AFL is looking at reducing club lists to 35 players.

That the Giants would like to see some form of rookie list kept. Otherwise there’s no incentive for clubs to look for players outside the traditional pathways and invest 3 years of development in a player before they see a return.

It’s likely to mean clubs won’t recruit Irish or other international sports people, such as Mason Cox.

Think about it. If playing lists are only 35 players, most clubs are only going to draft 2 kids each year. Maybe 1 high pick kid, and a 20 or 21 year old out of the SANFL or VFL who’s more ready to go.

Will kids like Cedric Cox get 4 years on a list any more? If a kid hasn’t shown they’re a player by the end of their 3rd year, they are probably gone.

Will clubs still be eager to re-sign draftees to two year contracts before they have played a game?

Not a real fan of smaller lists to be honest. Unless you were going to create full reserves teams that you could call players up and down from
One of the main arguments to reduce list sizes is that the bottom quarter of a list requires the most resources such as assistant coaches and wellbeing people etc, so by reducing the list by a quarter a club could probably cut close to 20 people from the organisation.

As you point out though, I’m not sure what that does to the second tier and what input say the Lions would give to that second tier. Bloody disappointing as many enjoy our reserves and given that we thought a Lions reserves team would play out of Springfield there is also that repercussion too.

Article from Caroline Wilson.

View attachment 849830
List of players who would be feeling very anxious about being out of contract at the end of 2020:

Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison (R)
Toby Wooller
Stefan Martin
Grant Birchall
Mitchell Hinge (R)
Ryan Lester
Allen Christensen
Sam Skinner (R)
Corey Lyons (R)
Matt Eagles (R)

The club may need to pay out a couple of contracts to get to a list of 35.

Can’t imagine there will be too much trading going on this year either.

List of players who would be feeling very anxious about being out of contract at the end of 2020:

Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison (R)
Toby Wooller
Stefan Martin
Grant Birchall
Mitchell Hinge (R)
Ryan Lester
Allen Christensen
Sam Skinner (R)
Corey Lyons (R)
Matt Eagles (R)

The club may need to pay out a couple of contracts to get to a list of 35.

Can’t imagine there will be too much trading going on this year either.
That list alone only gets us to 36.

Of that list, I'd be looking to re-contract Martin, Skinner, Lester, Cox and Christensen That brings me back up to 41.

To then get to say 34 players, accounting for one solitary draftee, I'd then pay out (every club will have pay out some players) the following seven players: Ah Chee, McFadyen (or Ellis-Yoleman), Joyce, Madden, Archie Smith, Prior and Fullarton. You'd obviously ask the question of whether any guys would like to move on for more opportunity and I think someone like Mathieson may do it, so if they did, and let's assume Mathieson did, I would keep McFadyen.

Would be a tough exercise nonetheless.

Surely it'd be 35 plus some sort of supplementary list which we could move players instead of paying them out.

Surely it'd be 35 plus some sort of supplementary list which we could move players instead of paying them out.
This would be my thoughts too.
They can’t cut the list that much in one year and think it would work?
Otherwise all clubs will be paying out contracts with money they don’t have unless if the AFL are going to pay these contracts out then I just can’t see it working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back