List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Where is Ely Smith at? He hasn't debuted at senior level yet has he?

He did play in the pre-season games, but not sure if he has just fallen away now.
Just too many in front of him for the role he plays at the moment, may get a run if CEY gets omitted or Neale/J.Lyons gets injured.

Of all the names mentioned I'd be most keen on Shaun Atley to provide some run and carry off half back.

Would offer a decent contract and a late first

A late first ?? Kangaroos would bite your hand off. I think they would be happy with a 3rd round pick.

Cunnington is the Kangaroos best player by a long way. But he now has a bad back and was never quick to start with - superb clearance player and vision as good as Simon Black in close.

Looks like Polec in for a few lean years.

A late first ?? Kangaroos would bite your hand off. I think they would be happy with a 3rd round pick.

Cunnington is the Kangaroos best player by a long way. But he now has a bad back and was never quick to start with - superb clearance player and vision as good as Simon Black in close.

Cunnington would be perfect fit for Bombers, if he could overcome the injuries.
Good luck to North negotiating with Dodoro.

He did play in the pre-season games, but not sure if he has just fallen away now.
Probably a ways away too.

Since he was drafted, not once has he been named am emergency, which could you have some indication.

This may sound harsh, but I get the impression some players don't necessarily care either and get to a certain stage of their careers, irrespective of whether they've experienced success or not, where extracting as much money out of the game is their primary objective.

The key is just ensuring your club stays well away from such players, but Polec's move to North certainly reeked of a player solely interested in stacking his bank account as much as he could.

Just too many in front of him for the role he plays at the moment, may get a run if CEY gets omitted or Neale/J.Lyons gets injured.
Not to mention he appears to be behind Mathieson and Robertson as well.

Ely was always considered a long term prospect.

He has a lot of the physical tools, but was very raw football wise.

This may sound harsh, but I get the impression some players don't necessarily care either and get to a certain stage of their careers, irrespective of whether they've experienced success or not, where extracting as much money out of the game is their primary objective.

The key is just ensuring your club stays well away from such players, but Polec's move to North certainly reeked of a player solely interested in stacking his bank account as much as he could.
I wouldn't call your post harsh - I agree, and I think you see the same thing in every sport. The harshness comes when people demand players love what they do because the people love it.

Kyrgios comes to mind in tennis. Polec and Preuss in AFL, and I'm sure there's more. League has many every year. There have been plenty of examples in American sport, where they are a lot more transactory to their sports - we're less so, because player movement is a lot more restrictive. Players who sign that big contract, don't love it, but still put in the effort that saw them earn it - I can respect that, because isn't that basically what I do each day in my job?

OTOH the players who play well in a contract year and then basically slack off after signing their big contract (Albert Haynesworth is a notorious example in American sports) is definitely more frustrating and worth ridicule, as much as anyone doing their job is.

Not sure how he's going this season but at reserves level last year he looked like he was too heavy. Not saying he's unfit, he is naturally a big guy but just seemed a little cumbersome. If he can trim down and get that zip back then I think it would greatly benefit his game.

Probably a ways away too.

Since he was drafted, not once has he been named am emergency, which could you have some indication.
From memory he was in the probables in the preseason. I remember thinking he wasn't quite showing the presence that we were saying he could provide to protect Neale in the MF, as was the talk back then. Having seen nothing since other than all of our young guys bulking up, and no doubt hungry for opportunity, I expect to see him get a run at some point and impress.

Of all the names mentioned I'd be most keen on Shaun Atley to provide some run and carry off half back.

Our kicking is poor enough already. Agree great pace, but turns it over quite a bit.

You are enjoying throwing around 1st rounders like confetti, 2 meter P & now Atley. Would be a disaster to give up both of our 2020 1sts for these two guys, let alone the $$$ you would consider paying each. ;)

Our kicking is poor enough already. Agree great pace, but turns it over quite a bit.

You are enjoying throwing around 1st rounders like confetti, 2 meter P & now Atley. Would be a disaster to give up both of our 2020 1sts for these two guys, let alone the $$$ you would consider paying each. ;)

Disaster?

Picks outside the top 20 are going to be worth bugger all this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disaster?

Picks outside the top 20 are going to be worth bugger all this year.
The people valuing it like that will end up looking silly, I predict. Yes, it's harder to properly rate the talent given the disruptions to the NAB League, but there will still be plenty of good players to emerge from this draft.

The people valuing it like that will end up looking silly, I predict. Yes, it's harder to properly rate the talent given the disruptions to the NAB League, but there will still be plenty of good players to emerge from this draft.

There will be but good luck choosing them.

Disaster?

Unfortunately Yes, on two fronts.

We will have many far superior players already on our list that will need upgraded contracts in the next few seasons. We can't afford to 'entice' limited types with inflated contracts.

Why would anyone mention a guy that can't get a game at GC & 1st rounder in the same conversation? GC & North would both bite our hand off, & it's a little beyond my own comprehension that some would see that as smart play.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/willem-drew-ooc-2020.1245177/

Reckon he would be worth a punt. Injuries have kept him out of Port's best 22 but is a good player. Better than CEY and if fit IMO is best 22. Does everything well with no real weakness outside injuries. Is fairly athletic too with some good pace for a inside-outside midfielder. Not an A grader but a very good role player who would offer more than a few list cloggers at the Lions.

Reckon he would be worth a punt. Injuries have kept him out of Port's best 22 but is a good player. Better than CEY and if fit IMO is best 22. Does everything well with no real weakness outside injuries. Is fairly athletic too with some good pace for a inside-outside midfielder. Not an A grader but a very good role player who would offer more than a few list cloggers at the Lions.
Can’t believe you didn’t mention the Berry & Clugga link.
C6EAA4A3-5B0D-4235-BE82-1576606A3936.jpeg

Curious as to who our current list cloggers are?

Unfortunately Yes, on two fronts.

We will have many far superior players already on our list that will need upgraded contracts in the next few seasons. We can't afford to 'entice' limited types with inflated contracts.

Why would anyone mention a guy that can't get a game at GC & 1st rounder in the same conversation? GC & North would both bite our hand off, & it's a little beyond my own comprehension that some would see that as smart play.
If you go by this theory Jarryd Lyons would be a bit of a loss.

Mates with Clugga and Berry.
We tried to trade for him from memory.

If you go by this theory Jarryd Lyons would be a bit of a loss.

At what point did we give up a 1st rounder for Jarryd?
In fact he is one that is deserving of an payment increase & part of the point I was making.

I really should just read & move on, but if you want to quote please be remotely accurate to the point being made.
Enjoy.

You haven't watched many North games this year if you think Atley is worth a look. Have alook at any, and I mean any, North thread and you will see a truck load of negative comments on Atley. He is a bruise free footballer. Try and find a tough tackle.

Most North supporters would love to get anything for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back