List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Hunter has 4 years left on his contract. Something seriously wrong if he wants out now. Not a free agent and can't see how we could do a trade that would satisfy the Dogs or we would be prepared to pay.

Hunter has 4 years left on his contract. Something seriously wrong if he wants out now. Not a free agent and can't see how we could do a trade that would satisfy the Dogs or we would be prepared to pay.

Clearly something is given what happened earlier in the year

I have heard the Bulldogs players partying too hard rumour as well. Hard to believe they would be open to trading Bailey Smith who is star already and only going to get better, but the rumour was that the Suns are after him and he is good mates with Rowell and Anderson.

Last edited:
Interesting:

ALEX WITHERDEN

After 44 of a possible 46 games across 2018-2019, the 22-year-old has managed just six this year. The arrival of Grant Birchall and Callum Ah Chee and emergence of Brandon Starcevich have forced Witherden out of Chris Fagan's best side and it has the Lions open to outside offers. The Victorian has two years to run on his contract.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/515946
The garbage written around trade period is always full of stuff like this. Its almost like they sit down & think about which "made up" story will get the most interest and then run with it.

dogs have been known to make some massive calls before. Trading out Griffith for Boyd is one of them. Not out of the question that Smith could be seen as gettable by opposition clubs.

I wonder if they would've traded Griffen (their captain at the time) if it wasn't for him requesting a trade though.

I wonder if they would've traded Griffen (their captain at the time) if it wasn't for him requesting a trade though.
I'll pre-face this by saying I think there's legitimately 0% chance Hunter is leaving this year. Caro is a career liar and s**t-stirrer, and both Bevo and Hunter have already rubbished this rumour.

When it came to Griffin, we already had Bont who had a massive first season, Macrae who had statistically one of the best seasons from a second year player in the games history, even becoming the youngest player to hit 40 disposals in a game, when he got 43 touches and kicked 2 goals as a 19 year old. We also had Matty Boyd still playing well, Libba having a career best season in 2014, plus Wallis and Hrovat playing reasonably well at the time too. We were overstocked for midfielders at the time, and while losing your captain is never a great thing to happen, he was far from irreplaceable and arguably not in our 3 most important mids going forward at that point (Bont, Macrae and Libba).

With Hunter, we don't really have suitable replacements on the wing. Hayes is okay as depth, but not best 22. Vandermeer looked really good this year, but is very injury prone and accumulation is a serious weakness. Lipinski is too slow and a one-way runner. Unlike Griffin, we really couldn't immediately replace Hunter, so I seriously doubt we'd entertain a trade unless there were serious off-field matters that aren't already publicly known (in that case, why would Brisbane want to touch him anyway).

We've been aggressive with trades in the past, but Hunter is not the type we'd do that with. Also any rumours including Smith are just laughable. Dude considers footy his religion, is over-committed to his training and is too much of a good boy to get involved in the kind of crap included in the rumour. Including Smith in the rumour was a mistake by the person who created it, because it completely invalidates everything else. Should've made it Hunter + Libba if they wanted something believable.

Of all the criticisms to make of Hunter, this is probably one of the most inaccurate I have read. He is one of the best two way runners in the AFL and constantly getting our boys out of trouble by gut running into defence.

If he had one major weakness, it's lack of penetration in his kicking. Has a habit of kicking high rather than long

We generally prefer the hack it forward type kicks from our wingers. Well, one of them anyway. But that's ok, the rest of his game makes up for it :D

Zorko and Ely Smith don't see eye to eye that's why he hasn't played since round one I am sure Ely will be traded at the competition of his current contract.

If this is the case, then I would rather lose zorko than Ely Smith. Zorko only has a couple of years left and will likely retire once Ely Smith's contract is up anyways.

Zorko and Ely Smith don't see eye to eye that's why he hasn't played since round one I am sure Ely will be traded at the competition of his current contract.

I doubt Zorko has that level of overarching influence over both Fagan and selection committee to keep someone out.

If this is the case, then I would rather lose zorko than Ely Smith. Zorko only has a couple of years left and will likely retire once Ely Smith's contract is up anyways.

You would rather delist our captain than a player who hasn't debuted or shown much in the reserves?

Ely Smith is no guarantee to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apparently stems from end of 2019 footy season trip. Smith had a few of the boys down at his families pub and they didn't give them discount/freebies at the bar.

I think you, like a lot of supporters, seem to overrate the depth we have.

You would rather delist our captain than a player who hasn't debuted or shown much in the reserves?

Ely Smith is no guarantee to make it.

No, I would rather keep Zorko until the end of 2022 (where he will be 33/34) and let him retire and keep Ely Smith afterwards. Zorko has battled through an injury all season, and at his age that doesn't bode well. Likewise, I think he only has a couple of years left in the senior squad until he is replaced. You can't keep our young guns out forever. Martin knows this too, and will likely be replaced roughly at the same age that zorko would be retiring. It's part and parcel of AFL football.

I think you, like a lot of supporters, seem to overrate the depth we have.

Alex Witherdern, Dev Robertson, Cedric Cox, Noah Answerth, Payne, Allen Christensen, Tom Berry, Ely Smith, and Hinge are all genially good players. I personally think we have the best depth in the entire competition.

Alex Witherdern, Dev Robertson, Cedric Cox, Noah Answerth, Payne, Allen Christensen, Tom Berry, Ely Smith, and Hinge are all genially good players. I personally think we have the best depth in the entire competition.

Is this a counterpoint to what I wrote?

If Ely was banging down the door he would’ve been selected at some stage this year when someone like Berry was out.

I think if anything happened between Zorko and Smith, then Fagan would’ve made sure it wasn’t an issue going forward.

His girlfriend is based in Brisbane. I think he works his backside off in the pre season and tried to force his way in.

If they didn't see eye to eye and that's the only reason why he's kept out, how on earth did Ely Smith play in the pre-season games?

Don't feed the trolls.

Fagan is quite good in weeding out the toxicity of any environment. If Zorks and Ely really were at odds, he would find a way to circumvent the issue or trade one of them out; i.e., like rockliff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back