List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
With Jeremy Cameron going to the Cats Esava Ratugolea may want to get out for more opportunity, if we still want to go with 2 rucks Esava and Big O would be a pretty good combo.

I assume GWS will enquire about him, though I'm pretty iffy on him.

Was just thinking that someone would suggest we trade Neale next and goddamn it, you’ve already gone and done it. Gotta love this thread, full of nouse, left field thinking and the sort of ballsy nonsense that sends me laughing all the way to the fridge.
Think outside the square . Neale's currency is never going to be higher. We could get Polec back. Go hard for Treloar and get a year out of Higgins.

3 for the price of 1.

Think outside the square . Neale's currency is never going to be higher. We could get Polec back. Go hard for Treloar and get a year out of Higgins.

3 for the price of 1.
I know a certain poster who would do the deal but for Josh Walker and Tom Cutler, those 2 could tip us over the edge for a flag.

I assume GWS will enquire about him, though I'm pretty iffy on him.
Yeah, agree. Can't establish himself in a team with a weak ruck lineup. Think I'd prefer to run with just Big O & Daniher / McStay for the chop out.

This has nothing to do with your post but it made me think of something I saw. Random segue I know.

Was having a lurk on the Cats forum after our loss & one of their posters suggested they should do a trade of Cockatoo for Payne. They really liked the look of him lol. I love bigfooty.

I’m aware of that, for you to think he came to us from the Bulldogs for well under the league average wage is highly unlikely.
I wouldn't call $60k well under... With incentives $400k is what the average 4 to 5 year player earns if they play every game, I would say that's a reasonable salary range for him considering we offered him 4 years.

The original comment was in response to someone suggesting that we trade him because we need salary cap space. Even if he's on 2mil over 4, he's not causing any salary cap issues.

He isn't a gun. He is not even close. And if you think he's kicking is below par than he certainly isn't a gun. Dangerfield field kicking can let him down at times but he can also bang a goal on the run from 50+ or kick a goal from the boundary. Oliver can't. Dangerfield can burst from a stoppage half a dozen times in a game - Oliver doesn't and if does he turns it straight over. Danger can take a pack mark - Oliver can't.

I fell into trap of believing the hype when he burst onto he scene but the more I watch him the more I'm unconvinced. If he works on his kicking he can be a good player but every second kick either goes to opposition or the ground. I would much prefer Jarryd Lyons.
He's a gun simple as that not all midfielders have to have the Martin or danger traits to be considered a gun. Our own latest brownlow medalists is perfect example. Oh and only 23.

He's a gun simple as that not all midfielders have to have the Martin or danger traits to be considered a gun. Our own latest brownlow medalists is perfect example. Oh and only 23.
Absolutely - two best and fairests (one in his second year of footy). #1 in the comp for clearances this year (4th last year) - absolutely elite in an integral aspect of the game.

Would be an amazing addition. As you point out still only 23. Would love to have that pick 2 over again!

Bringing in Daniher and Cockatoo but other than that trusting the kids to come through in our midfield, with CEY and Robinson getting a bit less playing time, and Zorko becoming predominantly a forward.

Also forgot to mention this yesterday but Mitch Cleary was claiming on AFL Exchange that Dodoro is mad we reportedly enquired about Jordan Ridley[/PLAYERCARD] before he re-signed.

I'm sure Tim Watson will want us to be investigated for contract tampering in a couple of weeks once he gets his late mail from the bombers - he's been a bit too critical recently to get timely dumps.
[/B]

We did a lot more than enquire ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing in Daniher and Cockatoo but other than that trusting the kids to come through in our midfield, with CEY and Robinson getting a bit less playing time, and Zorko becoming predominantly a forward.

I'd like to see CEY improve and cement his spot. From the way I see the game he does so much right, reads the game, gets in great positions, just isn't a great one touch player & can obviously improve composure & disposal. He should start practicing the juggling two tennis balls & one football drill for starters ;) maybe get Diesel on the phone for a bit of mentoring too.

I think that Witherden had a bath water problem, in that he was drinking too much of his own. It is interesting that when Dayne Zorko was describing Ryan in a media piece recently (I posted it in Lester’s player thread) he talked about his character, support for team mates and leadership at the club. I contrast this with the unedifying spectacle of Witherden giving Bastinac an obvious serve during the North Melbourne game in Melbourne last year. I know which of the two I would prefer to have at the Lions if it came down to a choice between Lester and Witherden.

Witherden is widely respected as a young leader / organiser at the club. I remember hodge saying he was an obvious choice as a future organiser. He is a limited footballer - but he is a good team mate and locker room guy, that's not in question.

Who is Zorko pushing out of the forward line?
More of an adjustment to rotation and more minutes in forwards instead of midfield because people like Berry, Rayner, Zorko, McCarthy, McCluggage, all rotate through both anyway.
One part of Zorko's game that is underrated is his tackling and that would be really important in our forward line. He is a horrendous set shot though (join the club).

Last edited:
Lester great club man, on little money, was one of the most consistent players this year - no trade value as he can go for nothing, so no upside but huge downside in him leaving the club
Robinson great club man, on little money, will provide great back up if he's not in the best 22 - no trade value, has 1 more year left on contract and probably career
Adams just traded to the club, not on huge money to be an issue, was selected round 1 Fagan likes what he brings, if not in the best 22 also provides great depth - no trade value has 2 years to go on his contract and no one would give anything for him

As i posted not against keeping them, but they have to realise that they are not locks for 2021, just my opinion.
Average ALF salary is around $380k (likely less next year) When you say Adams, Lester and Robbo not on big money, How do we know that a couple of them Robbo and Adams are not around the AFL average?
Robbo signed a two year extension in 2019 after some good form so would not be surprised for 2021 and 2022 he is close to the AFL average.
I think cause Payne broke down in his fist year (2018), club was keen to get a lock down defender and signed Adams to four years and I would suspect he is earning in excess of the AFL average. A couple of posters have stated he is earning over $400K but we are all speculating about player contracts. What I could say with some confidence Payne, Ballenden, Fullerton, Coleman etc etc would be earning significantly less than the AFL average.

Yeah, agree. Can't establish himself in a team with a weak ruck lineup. Think I'd prefer to run with just Big O & Daniher / McStay for the chop out.

This has nothing to do with your post but it made me think of something I saw. Random segue I know.

Was having a lurk on the Cats forum after our loss & one of their posters suggested they should do a trade of Cockatoo for Payne. They really liked the look of him lol. I love bigfooty.
probably because i am retired, too much time on my hands, I have been looking at a couple of other club boards also, and Witho is attracting a bit of attention from some Melbourne clubs, as is Payne and even bombers talking about trades involving McStay. Agree love bigfooty

Can someone actually teach hipwood how to kick a set shot in front of the goals? I have never seen a player who struggles with their set shots as much as him. During the mid-season when our entire team was going through the kicking yips, they all managed to overcome it except for hipwood. He has turned into a liability when he's in the forward 50, which is a shame because his downfield work is actually quite good.

Can someone actually teach hipwood how to kick a set shot in front of the goals? I have never seen a player who struggles with their set shots as much as him. During the mid-season when our entire team was going through the kicking yips, they all managed to overcome it except for hipwood. He has turned into a liability when he's in the forward 50, which is a shame because his downfield work is actually quite good.

Our second highest goal kicker for two years running despite being 22 is a liability?

Okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back