List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Seen it mentioned a few times that Birchall is keeping Witho out of the team and stopping him from developing, I don't think we are a developing team who needs to give young players a go. If the coaches think Birchall is in the best 22 he plays, gone are the days of playing young players to gain experience we finished 2nd playing Birchall. Another way to look at it is why would we change a defence that finished 2nd on the ladder to bring someone younger in and if Birchall is keeping him out of the side then so is Ah Chee, Starc and Answerth.

I'm not a Birchall fan and I would like to see Witherden stay at the club and think he can be a good player but there's a reason the coaches pick Birchall in front of Witherden, we are picking the team on who is the best 22 to win the game on the weekend not who's going to be in our best 22 in 2-3 years. AFL is a tough game and top teams lose fringe players all the time look at Richmond, they lost Ellis and Butler last year and probably Markov this year.
</RANT>
If we feel we are going to be contenders for a flag we have to make some tough decisions without jeopardising the culture and togetherness that we've created.

Forgive the intrusion, but if we were to do a deal for Witherden what would you guys be expecting in return?
Jared Cameron + Jack Redden = Alex Witherden + Cedric Cox

Thoughts?

Jared Cameron + Jack Redden = Alex Witherden + Cedric Cox

Thoughts?

46848427-00B8-41AD-92BA-429D6CBBEDCF.gif

I meant in terms of a draft pick(s). Can’t see us trading either of those guys unless they ask for it, and Cox will probably be a DFA or rookie draftee.

Forgive the intrusion, but if we were to do a deal for Witherden what would you guys be expecting in return?

It's hard to tell what our motives are.

If we want to keep him it'd probably have to be a top 25 pick. If we want to remove his salary then he'd probably form part of our plan to use our first rounders, draft Coleman, trade for Cockatoo and upgrade Fullerton.

It's hard to tell what our motives are.

If we want to keep him it'd probably have to be a top 25 pick. If we want to remove his salary then he'd probably form part of our plan to use our first rounders, draft Coleman, trade for Cockatoo and upgrade Fullerton.

Would Sydney’s 2021 second rounder do the job, do you think? I’m guessing they’re not going to climb the ladder much next year.

Are you in a position where next year’s picks are attractive? I don’t know what your academy situation is.

Future first plus some shuffles?

Pretty sure we’re blocked from trading our future first, we haven’t taken enough first rounders recently. Courtesy of the Kelly trade and some other moves.

Would Sydney’s 2021 second rounder do the job, do you think? I’m guessing they’re not going to climb the ladder much next year.

Are you in a position where next year’s picks are attractive? I don’t know what your academy situation is.

Yeah it could force our hand

WCE trade Hickey and our future third to Sydney for their future second.

WCE trade a future second (preferably ours, at a push Sydney’s) to Brisbane for Witherden.

Means we get Witherden (and preferably a likely upgrade in the 2021 second round) for Hickey and a future third.

Sydney get Hickey for a likely downgrade next year from the 20s to the 40s or 50s.

Brisbane get a likely pick in the 20s, or preferably 30s, for Witherden.

I’m assuming that Sydney finish bottom four again and we make the GF :D

WCE trade Hickey and our future third to Sydney for their future second.

WCE trade a future second (preferably ours, at a push Sydney’s) to Brisbane for Witherden.

Means we get Witherden (and preferably a likely upgrade in the 2021 second round) for Hickey and a future third.

Sydney get Hickey for a likely downgrade next year from the 20s to the 40s or 50s.

Brisbane get a likely pick in the 20s, or preferably 30s, for Witherden.

I’m assuming that Sydney finish bottom four again and we make the GF :D
Can’t see Sydney finishing bottom four next year. They‘re likely to make the 8 again at least. They were solid this year in most games, like we were before we finished 2nd in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see Sydney finishing bottom four next year. They‘re likely to make the 8 again at least. They were solid this year in most games, like we were before we finished 2nd in 2019.

That's a massive call. The only team I'm confident the Swans will finish ahead of next year is North Melbourne. Beyond that, who knows. They might finish ahead of Crows, Hawks, Suns, Essendon & Freo, but wouldn't be betting the farm on it.

Edit: I'd be giving Freo & the Suns a greater chance of finals next year than Sydney.

I would argue he slowish for the position he plays. It's a real run and gun position that is increasingly having an big impact on games.
Agree, I also think the impact on his game as a result of the 6-6-6 is huge.

People need to get their heads around the fact that we aren't going to get what we feel is correct value for Witho. He was drafted at around pick 23, and he hasn't been able to force his way into the team (which is why he is being targeted).

Swan's 2nd rounder next year probably gets it done. Unders for how the club probably values his talent, but this is how it works. Just as we will get Cockatoo cheaper then his value or talent most likely is.

Whilst it would be good to keep witho, he isn't in the team for a reason. We got Birchall and Ah Chee in and both are keeping him out. Lester, Starc and Answerth also playing well enough to compete for spots.

The challenge for him was to lift his game, and that Bombers game I thought he had, I thought the penny had dropped, but he slowly sank back to his previous form. Having the benefit of watching him live in a few games this year, he gets caught ball watching a lot. As fast as he is, he isn't quick on mind, and nearly every other one of our defenders look quicker.

In the right set up, he can probably be used to great effect, but that isn't us. And it doesn't matter how much talent the guy has if he isn't playing every week. If we don't plan on using him, we should get some trade value for him before his worth drops any lower. If we are aiming at good use of our salary cap we also shouldn't have a player on his money not pushing the best 22.

I don't see him being traded as a salary dump, we would clearly be happy for him to stay and keep trying to improve. He is eyeing off better opportunity elsewhere, and this won't be the last time we lose a player who has some talent that we wouldn't mind retaining.

We have all gotten use to being that young developing team for the past 15 years, where the focus is all about getting games into the kids. That's not how it works when you are finishing top 2 and in flag contention.

That's a massive call. The only team I'm confident the Swans will finish ahead of next year is North Melbourne. Beyond that, who knows. They might finish ahead of Crows, Hawks, Suns, Essendon & Freo, but wouldn't be betting the farm on it.

Edit: I'd be giving Freo & the Suns a greater chance of finals next year than Sydney.
Be interesting to see how many teams that are given no chance have made the eight over the past 5 years. I think it would be at least one a year. Lions, Bulldogs and Demons spring to mind in the past few seasons. Saints this year. And Port Power? Don’t have time to do the research, but I think the days of certainties are gone. Just a hunch about the Swans from watching them this year a few times. I don’t think it’s a massive call at all, what’s massive is correctly predicting the entire eight a year out.

Be interesting to see how many teams that are given no chance have made the eight over the past 5 years. I think it would be at least one a year. Lions, Bulldogs and Demons spring to mind in the past few seasons. Saints this year. And Port Power? Don’t have time to do the research, but I think the days of certainties are gone. Just a hunch about the Swans from watching them this year a few times. I don’t think it’s a massive call at all, what’s massive is correctly predicting the entire eight a year out.

I think Carlton, Melbourne and GWS would be more likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back