Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Was driving past today and I ducked in just cos....

Happened to see Weiters, Fish, Walsh and I think Plow.....playing NFL.

Weiters was quarterback. The other three playing wide receiver / cornerback. Weiters seriously has a cannon of an arm. He looked huge.

But I post because of Fish. He looked...thicker. Much thicker. I dare say he and the coaching staff agreed he really can’t continue to get rag dolled like he did last year. He looked borderline powerful out there today.

Oh....and Walsh. My first report on him for the summer: he has put on maybe 3kg I think. Looks a real man now. Moved as beautifully as ever. Just graceful in all he does. I’m so proud. ❤️
Yeah I must admit he looks a hell of a lot bigger in the few pictures I’ve seen, let’s hope it allows him to get more time in the guts where he belongs. Go Fish

2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

3. Murphy.PNG

Player Name: M. Murphy

Guernsey #: 3

Nickname/s: Murph, Skip, Junk (see 2014 Driving with Sam Pang)

2019 Senior Games: 19

Key Stats: Disposals: 483 (25.4) Marks: 88 (4.6) Contested possessions: 162 (8.5) Tackles: 65 (3.4) Clearances: 64 (3.37) Metres gained: 7333 (386)

Height: 180

Weight: 80

Injury concerns: Nil

Primary Role: Midfield/Wing

Best 22 Status: Key Player, Leader

Strengths: Class, clutch finisher, leadership, consistency, high-production

Weaknesses: Can occasionally go missing when team is doing poorly, fan whipping boy, just way too nice a guy

What they said: “The main things I tried to instil in the younger players was preparation, lifting the standards across the group and getting young players to understand the professionalism they needed to apply in all areas of life”.

“‘Murph’ was one who was always on board that train, he jumped on really early. It’s one of the reasons he’s played 250 games and also be able to play them at such a high level.” – Chris Judd ahead of Murphy’s 250th game.

The 411: The former skipper was back to his best in 2019, finishing the season in exceptional form. Murphy ranked equal first for goal accuracy at the Blues – kicking 12 goals for the season (8th overall) and also finished equal 4th for goal assists, proving his importance to the team’s attacking mindset – a key focus for Teague’s blueprint going forward. He also topped the charts for inside 50s in 2019 – 4 more than any other player despite playing just 19 games. Regardless of age, Murphy will continue to be a key pillar of our midfield – providing delivery to a young forward line and leadership at key moments. Expect another good year for a veteran starved of success.

Bigfooty best case: After seeing Murphy excel under Teague in the second half of the year (following a return from broken ribs no less), we will all be expecting another great year for Murph. His body seems in great nick and no longer needs to carry the midfield, so can drift forward with a bit more freedom and enjoy his footy more in 2020. If he can keep his production similar to last year and kick a few more sealers like he did against Freo this year, we’ll be a far better side for it.

Next up: Lochie O’Brien

CARLTON will take to the track this Friday morning at Ikon Park for the first open training session of the pre-season.

The session will begin at approximately 9am and conclude at 11:30am.

kze0XsEo

2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

View attachment 775731

Player Name: M. Murphy

Guernsey #: 3

Nickname/s: Murph, Skip, Junk (see 2014 Driving with Sam Pang)

2019 Senior Games: 19

Key Stats: Disposals: 483 (25.4) Marks: 88 (4.6) Contested possessions: 162 (8.5) Tackles: 65 (3.4) Clearances: 64 (3.37) Metres gained: 7333 (386)

Height: 180

Weight: 80

Injury concerns: Nil

Primary Role: Midfield/Wing

Best 22 Status: Key Player, Leader

Strengths: Class, clutch finisher, leadership, consistency, high-production

Weaknesses: Can occasionally go missing when team is doing poorly, fan whipping boy, just way too nice a guy

What they said: “The main things I tried to instil in the younger players was preparation, lifting the standards across the group and getting young players to understand the professionalism they needed to apply in all areas of life”.

“‘Murph’ was one who was always on board that train, he jumped on really early. It’s one of the reasons he’s played 250 games and also be able to play them at such a high level.” – Chris Judd ahead of Murphy’s 250th game.

The 411: The former skipper was back to his best in 2019, finishing the season in exceptional form. Murphy ranked equal first for goal accuracy at the Blues – kicking 12 goals for the season (8th overall) and also finished equal 4th for goal assists, proving his importance to the team’s attacking mindset – a key focus for Teague’s blueprint going forward. He also topped the charts for inside 50s in 2019 – 4 more than any other player despite playing just 19 games. Regardless of age, Murphy will continue to be a key pillar of our midfield – providing delivery to a young forward line and leadership at key moments. Expect another good year for a veteran starved of success.

Bigfooty best case: After seeing Murphy excel under Teague in the second half of the year (following a return from broken ribs no less), we will all be expecting another great year for Murph. His body seems in great nick and no longer needs to carry the midfield, so can drift forward with a bit more freedom and enjoy his footy more in 2020. If he can keep his production similar to last year and kick a few more sealers like he did against Freo this year, we’ll be a far better side for it.

Next up: Lochie O’Brien
How great was it seeing Murph back at his explosive best in the second half of the year, running the lines with freedom and kicking clutch goals, you sometimes forget just how good he is when up and running, his poise and skill is something we dearly missed in the first half of the year and last year for that matter. Let’s hope he stays fit for the whole of next year and really gets to enjoy playing some great footy with his young protégés, a vital cog for us again next year and would love to see some more classy clutch goals to win the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doc is an absolute professional. He seems to be moving nicely. Fingers crossed it will be a successful comeback. I’d be happy for him to take more time strengthening the knee if it was going to improve his chances of a successful return. Poor bugger is probably dying to get out and play footy.

Doc is an absolute professional. He seems to be moving nicely. Fingers crossed it will be a successful comeback. I’d be happy for him to take more time strengthening the knee if it was going to improve his chances of a successful return. Poor bugger is probably dying to get out and play footy.
yep

Detailed observations.....sounds like you could be a physio yourself
Interested you said LOB has bulked up?....he is typically lean and a natural distance runner[a very good one]...LOB has quite a high ceiling in fact.
Kennedy i also have concerns,he lacks pace.Dow is still young but obviously will be no Walsh type at any stage,and will have to work a lot to improve,i dont want to rehash the usual,but he has been a little slow in his development even considering his age and the amount of opportunity he has already cost us.
I think Dow needs more Mongrel..in his game :thumbsu:
I'm referring to their legs, particularly their thighs and hamstrings. Heaps of bulk there, just need to make sure they're conditioned well to do something with it all.

Doc conquering the trampoline with ease this time (4 clips)

Good pre-season work from Doc.

I'm liking him for the strong safety position in our new 4-3 defence, but it's great that he could flex to play situational half-back if called upon, because we've been really struggling to convert on third down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back