Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Puts a lot of pressure on our 16 players to not have any rotations for the whole game, i hope it doesn't make any more susceptible to injuries. I really hope LOB or Stocker keep putting pressure on Simmo and Newnes
I'd imagine they'd just reduce the on-field numbers. Last week it was 14.

Honey and Philp look very very good

2nd goal by philp was a ripper, great sidestep and finish in one motion. The last qtr seemed a training drill - players looked buggered.

Stocker looks ready to go and philp and honey will get their chance - at least one of them must be close. A bloke like cuningham needs to do more in the coming weeks to keep his spot i would think

Henderson in the 2's makes me happy

Honey and Philp look very very good

I was so encouraged by this vision.
Admittedly the 16 a side format does open up the space a lot more, but the skills on display in this video are really pleasing to see.
Comparisons to elite or almost elite players are unfair, but Honey really does remind me of a Dusty/De Goey type player. A long LONG way off that level, but the physical attributes are there.
O’Brien’s sequence at around the 1:00 mark is EXACTLY what he needs to bring to AFL level. Nice long kick from the HBF, gut running to provide an option and a thumping kick for goal on the run.
Stocker looking promising right where he needs to be - at the centre bounce and at the stoppage.

I know it’s a scratch match - but a lot to take from that footage.

Its a bit like draft threads and the video's, everyone looks good on the highlights etc. depends what they did for the rest of the game. Buit agree, some of them did some nice things. I didnt take much out of the last minute, it had stopped to a walk.

Its a bit like draft threads and the video's, everyone looks good on the highlights etc. depends what they did for the rest of the game. Buit agree, some of them did some nice things. I didnt take much out of the last minute, it had stopped to a walk.

This is true but when qualities are on offer through the pre-season and then show up through these games, there's often something there to work with.

I did put forward that on my viewing, Honey was more impressive than either Philp or Ramsay through the pre-season and some of his exiting out of stoppages was eye-catching. Goal-kicking and creativity around goals was also of an unexpected standard.
It was evident what Philp may bring, but it was a Honey-type, that we just don't have. Pretty sure I said it recently, but Honey reminds me of Papley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2nd goal by philp was a ripper, great sidestep and finish in one motion. The last qtr seemed a training drill - players looked buggered.

Stocker looks ready to go and philp and honey will get their chance - at least one of them must be close. A bloke like cuningham needs to do more in the coming weeks to keep his spot i would think

Henderson in the 2's makes me happy
So it looks like Philp can play? SOS was rinsed over that pick iirc.

Henderson - what an absolute bust that trade turned out to be for them.

Agree, handpicking 4 minutes of positive highlights out of an 80 minute contest can be misleading - but from what I’ve seen there are definitely positives to take.
Team selection is definitely going to be interesting in the coming weeks. I really hope we continue to have these informal matches - I understand it’s no certainty to happen every week.

This is true but when qualities are on offer through the pre-season and then show up through these games, there's often something there to work with.

I did put forward that on my viewing, Honey was more impressive than either Philp or Ramsay through the pre-season and some of his exiting out of stoppages was eye-catching. Goal-kicking and creativity around goals was also of an unexpected standard.
It was evident what Philp may bring, but it was a Honey-type, that we just don't have. Pretty sure I said it recently, but Honey reminds me of Papley

Quick question re Honey as I have really only seen snippets - you have likened him to Papley, is he more of a lead-up or crumbing, pressure forward? I suppose he could be a combo, but from what I’ve seen he looks more of a mid-size, contested mark player than a ground level type.
Others have mentioned his speed, is it burst from stoppage speed or out in the open pace?
Not wanting to pigeon hole him as one type of player, just trying to get a mental picture of how he’d fit in the side.

Thanks in advance.

I was so encouraged by this vision.
Admittedly the 16 a side format does open up the space a lot more, but the skills on display in this video are really pleasing to see.
Comparisons to elite or almost elite players are unfair, but Honey really does remind me of a Dusty/De Goey type player. A long LONG way off that level, but the physical attributes are there.
O’Brien’s sequence at around the 1:00 mark is EXACTLY what he needs to bring to AFL level. Nice long kick from the HBF, gut running to provide an option and a thumping kick for goal on the run.
Stocker looking promising right where he needs to be - at the centre bounce and at the stoppage.

He's got that speedy short legged wobble ala Dusty and Rayner.

Quick question re Honey as I have really only seen snippets - you have likened him to Papley, is he more of a lead-up or crumbing, pressure forward? I suppose he could be a combo, but from what I’ve seen he looks more of a mid-size, contested mark player than a ground level type.
Others have mentioned his speed, is it burst from stoppage speed or out in the open pace?
Not wanting to pigeon hole him as one type of player, just trying to get a mental picture of how he’d fit in the side.

Thanks in advance.

I'm saying Papley because from I've seen -

He can play midfield and has the power burst.
He does kick goals but also has that awareness to create goals.
He likes to take the game on. He's instinctive.

Watch Papleys game from the weekend and it's similar.
That handball over his shoulder is in Honey's bag of tricks.

This view may change as things go along, but everything I saw of Honey this year, just reminded me of a mini-Papley.
He's doing something even if he can't get into the game. I like that.

I'm saying Papley because from I've seen -

He can play midfield and has the power burst.
He does kick goals but also has that awareness to create goals.
He likes to take the game on. He's instinctive.

Watch Papleys game from the weekend and it's similar.
That handball over his shoulder is in Honey's bag of tricks.

This view may change as things go along, but everything I saw of Honey this year, just reminded me of a mini-Papley.
He's doing something even if he can't get into the game. I like that.

Thanks for the reply.
He’s certainly an intriguing prospect.
And a rookie draft selection to boot!
Will be fascinating to see if he forces his way into the team.

So it looks like Philp can play? SOS was rinsed over that pick iirc.

Henderson - what an absolute bust that trade turned out to be for them.
Philp is supposed to be the worst kick in the draft according to BF flogs. Looks pretty smooth to me. Love the way he just bounces when jogging ( a bit like Waite used to).

Honey has that same lightness on his feet.

Pretty happy with last years draft crop.

Great to see real highlights with guys kicking low and hard and showing real dash. Elite attributes.

Philp is supposed to be the worst kick in the draft according to BF flogs. Looks pretty smooth to me. Love the way he just bounces when jogging ( a bit like Waite used to).

Great to see real highlights with guys kicking low and hard and showing real dash. Elite attributes.
they look good.. albeit they are highlights.

I'm happy for Honey, Philp, Kemp, Stocker, BSOS, TDK and even Dow and LOB to spend 2020 & 2021 bringing the 2's side back to relevance tbh. Has been a poor setup down there for years and would be awesome to start winning finals as well as getting them properly ready for senior footy.

Geez Honey is looking fit, the reports coming through sound promising. We are overdue in landing a rookie that is best 22.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Kennedy looks like he's moving much, much smoother across the ground. Love it. Bring him soonish!!! :thumbsu:
I’ll admit to doubting his ability to both move and dispose of the ball quickly enough. He’s a beautiful kick but can be quite slow getting boot to ball

I saw signs of improvement in both of these areas, albeit in a highlights package

I’d give him 3 or 4 more weeks in these types of games to get rock hard fit and then unleash him, be absolutely huge if Kennedy made the level for us

Thanks for the reply.
He’s certainly an intriguing prospect.
And a rookie draft selection to boot!
Will be fascinating to see if he forces his way into the team.

Who have we like him right now?
He could become that....OK, I'll say it....Rayner/Ainsworth type.
It's a role that we're lacking - A genuine bully in the forward line that can go through the midfield if required.

Now, it may not come to that, but this would be what the CFC may be seeing in him.

Lightness? He looks like a T-rex ploughing the ground. :)
He's all power, not grace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back