Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack to run with Oliver in round 2?

Making that shift would leave McKay, Casboult, McGovern, Betts, Martin & Cuningham as the starting 6 forwards and allow for Ed to put the clamps on a Viney or Petracca.
I’d prefer to see SOS on Petracca. He is likely to go forward and he’s more likely to perform well on him in both positions. Petracca on Curnow will create a mismatch and he will likely pass him off to an already struggling small defence.

Yubby

All Australian
Dec 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aston Villa
If oranges signified the 2's its interesting to see Walsh, Fisher, Gibbons, Simmo and JSOS all in orange in those photos. Perhaps they rotated colours in some of the quarters as you can clearly see a lot of the boys with 2 jumpers on.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
If oranges signified the 2's its interesting to see Walsh, Fisher, Gibbons, Simmo and JSOS all in orange in those photos. Perhaps they rotated colours in some of the quarters as you can clearly see a lot of the boys with 2 jumpers on.
Smaller blokes rotated but the backs and forwards kept together to practice structure, at a guess of course...

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
The changeover....
Okay, come at me.

1591191361004.png

It actually makes perfect sense. Really like Gibbons as a mid and Murph is the logical one for him to replace.

Really? I don't see it at all.
Murphy is actually a very smart player and makes good decisions in the most. Gibbons?

Not saying I'm right, but I don't see the comparison at all, other than them being on the shorter side as mids.
I'd sooner have Fisher at stoppages than Gibbons.....and by some way.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Really? I don't see it at all.
Murphy is actually a very smart player and makes good decisions in the most. Gibbons?

Not saying I'm right, but I don't see the comparison at all, other than them being on the shorter side as mids.
I'd sooner have Fisher at stoppages than Gibbons.....and by some way.
Gibbons has proven himself a genuine beast VFL mid who has a far tougher edge than both Murphy and Fisher. He's obviously yet to prove that at AFL level but I really think he's got what it takes if given a sustained opportunity.

I would argue that Gibbons is a very smart decision maker in close and being allowed to play as a mid will really emphasise his strengths.

Also if it's not the 33yo? Murphy that we're replacing I'm not sure which mid is getting phased out?

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah most of the pictures showed what you would deem blue as best 22 against the rest in orange. then you see walsh in orange and presume at some point they swapped a few over (probably to even it out a little and make a contest)

Gibbons has proven himself a genuine beast VFL mid who has a far tougher edge than both Murphy and Fisher. He's obviously yet to prove that at AFL level but I really think he's got what it takes if given a sustained opportunity.

I would argue that Gibbons is a very smart decision maker in close and being allowed to play as a mid will really emphasise his strengths.

Also if it's not the 33yo? Murphy that we're replacing I'm not sure which mid is getting phased out?

Murphy may possibly be in his last year and I want that to be the case, for obvious reasons.

Tougher edge than Fisher? He's physically more mature for now, but not sure about tougher. I guess that's how one views the term 'tougher'

Fisher is creative and thinks on the run. I haven't really seen that from Gibbons. There's a few things I've seen of Gibbons that have me doubting his ability to be a genuine team-first player. Maybe he doesn't have to be any more. Anyway, if you're right, all good. We'll see.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy may possibly be in his last year and I want that to be the case, for obvious reasons.

Tougher edge than Fisher? He's physically more mature for now, but not sure about tougher. I guess that's how one views the term 'tougher'

Fisher is creative and thinks on the run. I haven't really seen that from Gibbons. There's a few things I've seen of Gibbons that have me doubting his ability to be a genuine team-first player. Maybe he doesn't have to be any more. Anyway, if you're right, all good. We'll see.
I do agree that Gibbons has definitely played selfish football at times. Some of that may be borne out of "I'm being asked to play forward so I need to prove my worth by hitting the scoreboard", which again is the wrong attitude.

But I do think if he's given the freedom to play on the ball and unleash his gut-running we will see a much more accomplished player.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d prefer to see SOS on Petracca. He is likely to go forward and he’s more likely to perform well on him in both positions. Petracca on Curnow will create a mismatch and he will likely pass him off to an already struggling small defence.
Petracca is listed at 186cm and 96kg, Plowman is 193cm and 90kg and Jack is 194cm and 89kg. FWIW Docherty is 187 & 87 while Newman is 187 and 83.

TBH I would prefer Jack went with Oliver, Ed with Viney and set Cripps to go head to head with Petracca.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Put it this way, I would like to see Gibbons perhaps 60-40 mid to forward, and Murphy 40-60. Think that could work alright and we wouldn't lose much in either part of the ground for the switch (definitely not going full Bolts by leaving Murphy forward all game).

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I do agree that Gibbons has definitely played selfish football at times. Some of that may be borne out of "I'm being asked to play forward so I need to prove my worth by hitting the scoreboard", which again is the wrong attitude.

But I do think if he's given the freedom to play on the ball and unleash his gut-running we will see a much more accomplished player.

The issue is his size, combined with a lack of elite burst or kicking ability to make up for it.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Petracca is listed at 186cm and 96kg, Plowman is 193cm and 90kg and Jack is 194cm and 89kg. FWIW Docherty is 187 & 87 while Newman is 187 and 83.

TBH I would prefer Jack went with Oliver, Ed with Viney and set Cripps to go head to head with Petracca.
Definitely want to see Jack in the midfield this year. Made for this physical defensive role IMO.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
The issue is his size, combined with a lack of elite burst or kicking ability to make up for it.
His kicking is fine, definitely above average. A lot of very good midfielders don't have elite burst. IMO Gibbons is one of those guys whose actual football ability far exceeds the individual aspects to his game. I know that's a kind of "it's the vibe" type argument but I'm keen to see him given an extended opportunity in the midfield.

Bringing guys like Gibbons and JSOS into the midfield for extended stints is a worthwhile experiment imo. They have big enough bodies and it's time to start working at creative solutions beyond Murphy and Curnow, and not automatically giving those spots to Dow and Setterfield just because we have them on the list.

Maybe that's my issue and when I saw him in a pre-season game mouthing off at team-mates for not passing the ball to him...even though he was in a bad position to receive...It didn't look good.

That could have been a player just wanting to touch ball and impress at every call, but it just wasn't...nice.
Maybe that's changed as he genuinely feels part of the team now.

Still. Fisher for me :)

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
His kicking is fine, definitely above average. A lot of very good midfielders don't have elite burst. IMO Gibbons is one of those guys whose actual football ability far exceeds the individual aspects to his game. I know that's a kind of "it's the vibe" type argument but I'm keen to see him given an extended opportunity in the midfield.

I agree that his kicking is fine, and a burst is not necessary for all, but I don't think endurance is the weapon that makes up for his size to become an AFL level mid.
If you're that small, you need a serious weapon to make up for your size.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe that's my issue and when I saw him in a pre-season game mouthing off at team-mates for not passing the ball to him...even though he was in a bad position to receive...It didn't look good.

That could have been a player just wanting to touch ball and impress at every call, but it just wasn't...nice.
Maybe that's changed as he genuinely feels part of the team now.

Still. Fisher for me :)
Definitely a bad look but at the end of the day a guy demanding the ball is IMO better than a wallflower who doesn't want the footy in key moments.

Proactive mistakes are always preferable to those of indecisiveness and inaction.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree that his kicking is fine, and a burst is not necessary for all, but I don't think endurance is the weapon that makes up for his size to become an AFL level mid.
If you're that small, you need a serious weapon to make up for your size.
His weapon is being very well-rounded IMO. I get what you're saying but I just have a feeling he could easily jump into gathering 25-30 touches a game and being a creative force in lots of scoring chains.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
His weapon is being very well-rounded IMO. I get what you're saying but I just have a feeling he could easily jump into gathering 25-30 touches a game and being a creative force in lots of scoring chains.

Fair enough.
Being 'well rounded' would be a very different proposition if he was 4 inches taller and 10 kgs heavier.

Back