Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Everybody looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger in pre-season photos....

Well, I look like Danny Devito. But everybody else....
07A2585D-BB9D-4DF5-AE32-8E2BDE3C4CFC.jpeg

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
That was Finbar, alright. Cottrell also plays back.
Unfortunately if he's already playing back suggests that we may have parked away the idea of him becoming a forward and also a step closer to being out the door.

Or just that, in the interests of match sim to get the senior guys ready, he was needed to round out the numbers down back?

Or that having the odd session playing against guys like McKay, Casboult, McGovern etc. will help educate him on forward craft?

Why leap straight to "well I guess he's not good enough so he's probably gone"?

Or just that, in the interests of match sim to get the senior guys ready, he was needed to round out the numbers down back?
Or that having the odd session playing against guys like McKay, Casboult, McGovern etc. will help educate him on forward craft?
Why leap straight to "well I guess he's not good enough so he's probably gone"?

Probably no need, but there is an important word there you may have overlooked; MAY
This word is important in context, is it not?

Look, we have a pretty good idea of which players may not be on the books next year and calling them out has nothing to do with hate.
If you had have read further on, I did state Phillips looks more likely a forward and if one had to go, I feel it may be Finbar.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably no need, but there is an important word there you may have overlooked; MAY
This word is important in context, is it not?

Look, we have a pretty good idea of which players may not be on the books next year and calling them out has nothing to do with hate.
If you had have read further on, I did state Phillips looks more likely a forward and if one had to go, I feel it may be Finbar.

Nah, that's cool, I have no issues with your assessment of the players involved - just that going from "Finbar played down back" to "Looks like the club reckon he won't make it as a forward so he's probably gone soon" is a massive overreach.

For what it's worth, I've got Finbar on the outer as well, assuming list sizes get chopped. He seems a popular lad, but when your name gets jokingly mentioned by almost every other player on the list whenever they're asked about who is impressing most on the track, I get a sneaking suspicion he's not actually performing all that well.

Really curious to see what the club does next year as far as VFL goes, because I suppose it's possible some of the players we cut will be offered lifelines if we implement our own standalone side. Could see guys like Kennedy, Lang, Goddard, Macreadie etc. forming the basis of that side if it eventuates, with a promise to consider re-recruiting them if list sizes increase the following year (subject to performance, available players etc.).

Nah, that's cool, I have no issues with your assessment of the players involved - just that going from "Finbar played down back" to "Looks like the club reckon he won't make it as a forward so he's probably gone soon" is a massive overreach.

For what it's worth, I've got Finbar on the outer as well, assuming list sizes get chopped. He seems a popular lad, but when your name gets jokingly mentioned by almost every other player on the list whenever they're asked about who is impressing most on the track, I get a sneaking suspicion he's not actually performing all that well.

Really curious to see what the club does next year as far as VFL goes, because I suppose it's possible some of the players we cut will be offered lifelines if we implement our own standalone side. Could see guys like Kennedy, Lang, Goddard, Macreadie etc. forming the basis of that side if it eventuates, with a promise to consider re-recruiting them if list sizes increase the following year (subject to performance, available players etc.).

The only reason I stated that, was when one individual looks to have little hope of making it in their favoured position, trials come about.
Off the top of my head, we saw that Watson and Laidler couldn't make it as forwards but to be fair to both, that was a huge ask and maybe even a somewhat unfair one, as it's somewhat difficult for backmen to become forwards and a lot easier the other way.

If Finbar had a good game, then great. To me he's just looked like someone not trying hard.
This is probably unfair also, as it's likely not the case, but there's simply nothing that has looked remotely dangerous about his game, to me.
He does have a long reach and isn't a bad leap and in a funny way, does remind me a little of Bootsma, so maybe the backline isn't a bad idea after all.

If lists are culled back to 35 it's going to be sad to see players let go, that may have become something had have they been afforded opportunity.
This goes for all clubs though, but I'd be somewhat disappointed should the likes of Honey and Phillips be taken off the books, as both genuinely look to have had something about them and a lot more than for what Finbar and BSilvagni showed in their first pre-seasons. Cottrell is another I'd be sad to see go.

spry

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve heard a few praises of finbar from coaches in interviews, nothing massive but comments about work ethic and going over vision, plus most recently Amos saying he played well in match sim. How far can we take all this? not sure. It could be that he takes this piss out of himself so others follow suit. Don’t think it’s a certain reflection of lack of performance and capacity.

But I speculate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

BlueBlood15

Team Captain
May 25, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
The only reason I stated that, was when one individual looks to have little hope of making it in their favoured position, trials come about.
Off the top of my head, we saw that Watson and Laidler couldn't make it as forwards but to be fair to both, that was a huge ask and maybe even a somewhat unfair one, as it's somewhat difficult for backmen to become forwards and a lot easier the other way.

If Finbar had a good game, then great. To me he's just looked like someone not trying hard.
This is probably unfair also, as it's likely not the case, but there's simply nothing that has looked remotely dangerous about his game, to me.
He does have a long reach and isn't a bad leap and in a funny way, does remind me a little of Bootsma, so maybe the backline isn't a bad idea after all.

If lists are culled back to 35 it's going to be sad to see players let go, that may have become something had have they been afforded opportunity.
This goes for all clubs though, but I'd be somewhat disappointed should the likes of Honey and Phillips be taken off the books, as both genuinely look to have had something about them and a lot more than for what Finbar and BSilvagni showed in their first pre-seasons. Cottrell is another I'd be sad to see go.
Agreed. Unfortunately the next few years are going to be tough for the development type players. With lists going as high as the mid 40s on number, these guys have either been drafted very late in the national draft or taken as rookies. Once list sizes drop towards 35, the new normal will be that these players go to state leagues or the new revamped AFL seconds (if it happens) for 2-3 years and then clubs consider them once they’ve been developed and are ready to contribute at senior level.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy may possibly be in his last year and I want that to be the case, for obvious reasons.

Tougher edge than Fisher? He's physically more mature for now, but not sure about tougher. I guess that's how one views the term 'tougher'

Fisher is creative and thinks on the run. I haven't really seen that from Gibbons. There's a few things I've seen of Gibbons that have me doubting his ability to be a genuine team-first player. Maybe he doesn't have to be any more. Anyway, if you're right, all good. We'll see.
Murphy wouldn't have a tougher edge than nearly any player on our list. I cringe the way he pulls out of contests so consistently, bad shoulders or not.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Murphy wouldn't have a tougher edge than nearly any player on our list. I cringe the way he pulls out of contests so consistently, bad shoulders or not.

Bad shoulders and a fractured jaw going head to head with the most physically gifted mid in the competition.

It's not his game anymore and he's more valuable not doing it, he's better off receiving that going in and under.

Yes! Crack in Gibbo. He has absolutely smashed it in the gym. Full year at the top tier he's gonna be good to go.
In my opinion, the only reason he didn't get a crack at the top level earlier was because he was too short.

Heightism at its finest.

post lacks more ticker than murphy............certainly more ignorant.......

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat

He's worn more big hits than anyone on our list, pretty decent from someone that consistently pulls out of contests.
Out of curiosity, have you played much footy?

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
Stkilda had an open training session today I won’t bother with a report
When will Carlton open the gates for a few limited track watchers maybe a ballot system
Moorabbin just had all gates open for match sim

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Bad shoulders and a fractured jaw going head to head with the most physically gifted mid in the competition.

It's not his game anymore and he's more valuable not doing it, he's better off receiving that going in and under.
Did you say fractured jaw?

Tell Simmo that, I think he missed the memo..

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
He's worn more big hits than anyone on our list, pretty decent from someone that consistently pulls out of contests.
Out of curiosity, have you played much footy?
Plenty had my 3rd shoulder op recently..

Last edited:
Back