2020 US Presidential Nominees

Who's gonna be the Veep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hate young people who think that the world owes them something just because they exist. Grampy Bernie seems to fill the needs in the emptiness of their souls.
Like Australian people your age who got free university, and like all Australians who have access to healthcare even if they can’t afford private health cover.

Isn’t there something like 40,000 people who die from treatable illnesses in the US because they don’t have health insurance ? Is this right that this should happen in the richest country in the world, when in every other developed country these people would get treatment paid by the government ?

Last edited:
Like Australian people your age who got free university, and like all Australians who have access to healthcare even if they can’t afford private health cover.

Isn’t there something like 40,000 people who die from preventable illnesses in the US because they don’t have health insurance ? Is this right that this should happen in the richest country in the world, when in every other developed country these people would get treatment paid by the government ?
Tagged it in 2 simple paragraphs.

So-called "democrats" who stand against these two absolutely basic things should be dismissed with contempt.

PS As should "Bob" Hawke for reversing free education, but that's another story.

Isn’t there something like 40,000 people who die from preventable illnesses in the US because they don’t have health insurance ? Is this right that this should happen in the richest country in the world, when in every other developed country these people would get treatment paid by the government ?

It's an interesting figure being used, tens of thousands dying each year from preventable illnesses. Do you know where it came from?

These CDC figures on it appear to lean heavily into obesity, high blood pressure and smoking as being the preventable part of the death causing disease.

Modifiable risk factors are largely responsible for each of the leading causes of death:
  • Heart disease risks include tobacco use, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, poor diet, overweight, and lack of physical activity.
  • Cancer risks include tobacco use, poor diet, lack of physical activity, overweight, sun exposure, certain hormones, alcohol, some viruses and bacteria, ionizing radiation, and certain chemicals and other substances.
  • Chronic respiratory disease risks include tobacco smoke, second-hand smoke exposure, other indoor air pollutants, outdoor air pollutants, allergens, and exposure to occupational agents.
  • Stroke risks include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, overweight, previous stroke, tobacco use, alcohol use, and lack of physical activity.
  • Unintentional injury risks include lack of seatbelt use, lack of motorcycle helmet use, unsafe consumer products, drug and alcohol use (including prescription drug misuse), exposure to occupational hazards, and unsafe home and community environments.

Unless universal health care is able to require people to not be inactive, obese or have any of the other co-morbidities then positioning medicare for all as the savior to these people isn't going to get the result people expect.

I do think it's reasonable to suspect a crime involving black and Hispanic men are gang/cartel related.

93% of black homicide was on a black victim. 9% higher than the white on white from a significantly smaller pool.

I would expect drug trafficking and murder to be heavily over represented by gang and cartel members, black and Hispanic, than solo enterprises and they should be looked into by law enforcement to see if that is the case.

Which they do.
Hello, hello, "cartel" is back

Earlier today whilst strolling into town I wore my 'Feel the Bern' cap from the last US election, I received many nods and smiles from a surprisingly well informed public. I didn't think US politics would figure highly in the lives of regional Tasmanians. An opinion I am revising.
Just thought I'd share.

It's an interesting figure being used, tens of thousands dying each year from preventable illnesses. Do you know where it came from?

These CDC figures on it appear to lean heavily into obesity, high blood pressure and smoking as being the preventable part of the death causing disease.

Unless universal health care is able to require people to not be inactive, obese or have any of the other co-morbidities then positioning medicare for all as the savior to these people isn't going to get the result people expect.

So... just be active and don't get heart disease or cancer or any other critical illness and you shouldn't really need health care?

Ridiculous argument.

No one is saying that if Medicare For All is introduced then no one gets sick anymore, or that people shouldn't try to be healthier. But the healthiest people still get sick or have accidents. Also, an early visit to the doctor when you suspect something is wrong is usually a pretty good step in preventative healthcare.

All people need health care. All people need to see a doctor.

Another bit of right-wing antisocial victim blaming cut off at the pass:

“The uninsured have a higher risk of death when compared to the privately insured, even after taking into account socioeconomics, health behaviors, and baseline health”

Earlier today whilst strolling into town I wore my 'Feel the Bern' cap from the last US election, I received many nods and smiles from a surprisingly well informed public. I didn't think US politics would figure highly in the lives of regional Tasmanians. An opinion I am revising.
Just thought I'd share.
I'm guessing the illiterate bastards simply thought you were a fan of the north-west city of Burnie and appreciated the sentiment.

Make 40 year olds with a couple of kids work two or three jobs at minimum wage, which gets them barely enough money to scrape by each week on sub-standard food and poor housing, and then tell them they can't have treatment when they develop hypertension, chronic back pain or stress-related heart disease.

The Land of the Free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have said die from treatable illnesses rather than preventable.

So... just be active and don't get heart disease or cancer or any other critical illness and you shouldn't really need health care?

Ridiculous argument.

No one is saying that if Medicare For All is introduced then no one gets sick anymore, or that people shouldn't try to be healthier. But the healthiest people still get sick or have accidents. Also, an early visit to the doctor when you suspect something is wrong is usually a pretty good step in preventative healthcare.

All people need health care. All people need to see a doctor.

I didn't think anyone was making that argument.
All the advocates for Medicare for all talk about the people who die in a "but for healthcare they would survive" manner.

So I was curious where the numbers come from.

That figure for 1/5 as victims of sexual assault is taken from a survey that included any sexual activity after any alcohol as being unconsentual and then that figure is used without that context.

So that's why I was curious where it came from as their own CDC says that lifestyle choices being out of control of medical professionals will result in many preventable deaths.

They should have universal health care but it would be a shame for people to expect that doctors will save everyone now.

Consider the best estimates of how many people die in the US due to a lack of healthcare. The question is hotly contested, and approximations range from 0 to 45,000 people per year. The latter figure is obviously what most progressives prefer to cite, and although there’s much to doubt about this number, let’s for the sake of argument accept that approximately 45,000 fewer people would die in the US every year if all Americans had decent health insurance.

Now flip the question: How many people die in other countries due to deficiencies in their healthcare systems? And how many people would die in the US if we had treatment outcomes similar to those in other countries?

Hi, I think you may have attached the wrong quote? This clearly says 68,000 people not "everyone"
It's very clear that medicare for all is being sold as the solution to people dying from treatable or preventable diseases, this will not be achievable.

It's very clear that medicare for all is being sold as the solution to people dying from treatable or preventable diseases, this will not be achievable.

No one has the solution to stopping people from dying. What the f*ck.

It's about providing health care to people so that there are significantly less people who need to die early due to illness that is treatable with appropriate health care.

No one has the solution to stopping people from dying. What the f*ck.

It's about providing health care to people so that there are significantly less people who need to die early due to illness that is treatable with appropriate health care.

They are quite clear.

Paraphrasing: X many people die because they don't have access to healthcare, medicare for all fixes that.

Again, Bernie:
Medicare-for-all will lower health care costs in this country by $450 billion a year, and save 68,000 lives of people who otherwise would have died.

Back