All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
They had to. It sucks but it had to happen
I wouldn't put it past the 5 stand alone clubs to band together and try to continue as a rebel competition, possibly with the involvement of Sandringham, (though basically fully controlled by St Kilda they can make use of the Dragons players), and maybe the Preston amateur side. The AFL reserves sides and the 3 might-as-well-bes (Box Hill, Northern., Casey) are most likely toast.

I know it's pie in the sky romantic thoughts, but none of the clubs without AFL backing will survive a shortened season, and it is entirely likely St Kilda, Carlton, Hawthorn and Melbourne will pull out of their alignments for 2021 given the financial hit all AFL sides will take this season.

I am incredibly concerned about the future of the clubs involved in the VFL, I have my doubts the competition will ever be what it once was once the dust settles.

hammer63

Draftee
Jun 24, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't put it past the 5 stand alone clubs to band together and try to continue as a rebel competition, possibly with the involvement of Sandringham, (though basically fully controlled by St Kilda they can make use of the Dragons players), and maybe the Preston amateur side. The AFL reserves sides and the 3 might-as-well-bes (Box Hill, Northern., Casey) are most likely toast.

I know it's pie in the sky romantic thoughts, but none of the clubs without AFL backing will survive a shortened season, and it is entirely likely St Kilda, Carlton, Hawthorn and Melbourne will pull out of their alignments for 2021 given the financial hit all AFL sides will take this season.

I am incredibly concerned about the future of the clubs involved in the VFL, I have my doubts the competition will ever be what it once was once the dust settles.

hammer63

Draftee
Jun 24, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well said Rickee I have just heard that Box Hill have split with Hawthorn.
Has any body else heard this?

Hawthorn carry Box Hill. It's an alignment in name only

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The first casualty of the shut down, and unlikely to be the last, I'm afraid.

My thinking is that AFL clubs will refuse to return to the VFL, even after the shutdown is over and seek to set up the long awaited reserves league for 2021.

Whether the VFL continues on at all, I don't know.

hammer63

Draftee
Jun 24, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The first casualty of the shut down, and unlikely to be the last, I'm afraid.

My thinking is that AFL clubs will refuse to return to the VFL, even after the shutdown is over and seek to set up the long awaited reserves league for 2021.

Whether the VFL continues on at all, I don't know.
Is Sandy the next to split?

No word yet, but I'd feel it's inevitable. Paul Amy on twitter stated another club has suspended their alignment, and also understands Box Hill/Hawthorn split is for 2020 only at this stage
Box Hill financially are completely dependant on Hawthorn though, a year could destroy them.

Sad but I suspect you're correct.
I'd hope if a rebel competition develops some old VFA fans would be willing to support the comp. I for one would buy a Williamstown membership.

Sad but I suspect you're correct.
I'd hope if a rebel competition develops some old VFA fans would be willing to support the comp. I for one would buy a Williamstown membership.
Honestly I think the best way would be to streamline it (although this is pie in the sky stuff in reality). There are 10 AFL teams here, each with certain zones:

Carlton - Preston - Knights
Collingwood - Port Melbourne - Oakleigh
Essendon - Coburg - Calder
Geelong - Werribee - Falcons
Hawthorn - Box Hill - Ranges
Melbourne - Casey - Gippsland
North Melbourne - Tasmania - Jets
Richmond - ??? - Bushrangers
St. Kilda - Sandringham - Dragons
Western Bulldogs - Williamston - Rebels

The idea would be that there's a streamline for clubs to actually invest in this competition. And a clear place for every player not picked in their 2's to drop down to after. It is far from perfect and probably a terrible idea but eh.

Honestly I think the best way would be to streamline it (although this is pie in the sky stuff in reality). There are 10 AFL teams here, each with certain zones:

The idea would be that there's a streamline for clubs to actually invest in this competition. And a clear place for every player not picked in their 2's to drop down to after. It is far from perfect and probably a terrible idea but eh.
Fair points, but Williamstown / Footscray would be aligned with the Jets for sure. The Jets play at Willy's home ground too and wear the same colours as Willy. North have alignments with Werribee - Rebels and Geelong may fit.

Hopefully the AFL have their few remaining staff looking into this as I really believe the AFL will be fine but the state tier 1 competitions will need a lot of help and there's a lot of history there that we should keep.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

They tried to use this model from 95-99, with a VFL team aligned to an under 18 side. Then the AFL decided to merge the VSFL with the VFL and we got the mess we are in now.

I hope that the AFL Reserves returns, at least for the 10 Victorian clubs, each aligned with an under age side and the VFL becomes a state league comp with sides like Vermont, North Ballarat and Berwick involved. Best outcome.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC

Attachments

• BC961AD4-84D3-4067-9F32-7BE24CE1F595.jpeg
    BC961AD4-84D3-4067-9F32-7BE24CE1F595.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 172
Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
It'll still be tough on them

Probably. They'll struggle if they don't.

Reports say they folded. But really there was not much left of Preston anyway.

How will Casey and Sandringham do if their AFL clubs leave them?

or should the question be how would St.Kilda do if Sandringham leaves them? :p

Reports say they folded. But really there was not much left of Preston anyway.

How will Casey and Sandringham do if their AFL clubs leave them?

or should the question be how would St.Kilda do if Sandringham leaves them? :p
The Carlton-Preston relationship is probably the most frustrating in the league. Preston were such a strong club, and now they're defunct.

Casey would struggle initially but then be okay, Sandy will definitely struggle.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Does mean they have folded?
The club had been absorbed into Carltons football operations in recent years, so closing the doors makes them functionally defunct.

Preston Bullants still existed as an amateur and junior club, but I don't know how closely aligned to Northern/Carlton that was.

The club had been absorbed into Carltons football operations in recent years, so closing the doors makes them functionally defunct.

Preston Bullants still existed as an amateur and junior club, but I don't know how closely aligned to Northern/Carlton that was.
It wasn't. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they started using PCO as their ground, where they play is tiny.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
This is why AFL alignments dont work.

Preston was a strong club then Carlton come in, and take over the name, colours, guernsey, club, staff and now when it all goes to s**t they just leave Preston in a disaster with no choice but to fold..

As someone who lives in Preston this is such a shame.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
This is why AFL alignments dont work.

Preston was a strong club then Carlton come in, and take over the name, colours, guernsey, club, staff and now when it all goes to s**t they just leave Preston in a disaster with no choice but to fold..

As someone who lives in Preston this is such a shame.

There’s a clear way forward however, at least. Logically a formal merger with Preston Bullants AFC is the way to go, who can absorb their history and any assets they might have, and play at PCO. The name, jumper and ground is not dead and it can be a strong local club.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
As far as I understand from what I've read, Preston was cooked financially in 1995, that's why they took on the Knights identity. Did that change enough for them by 99 when they became Northern Bullants?
They were a proud club with a long and successful history, for sure, but can they recover enough financially to return as a stand alone side, or are they gone?

Back