2020 VFL season - standalone focus only

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Disagree. The VAFA has been around forever, and is absolutely thriving. Below the top division or two there’s no rivalries or real local games, except the odd one by chance. A suburban league could happen, but yes it would be a shift. You’d leave most divisions local anyway and just have one or two across the city.

Attitudes to travel change. There is absolutely nothing local about the EFL which is probably the most successful league. Noble Park, Doncaster, Balwyn, Rowville, Montrose? They voted to let Silvan in a number of years ago. They’ve now voted Berwick in too.

Outer East is a huge footprint from Healesville to Cranbourne. The MPNFL is single divisions now and stretches from Chelsea to bloody Sorrento. It’s a lot easier to get around than it used to be.

An away trip once a fortnight isn’t a big deal for most people. Agree it’d be a long way off but travel isn’t the factor it once was.
If you have ever had any involvement, or know people at footy clubs, you will know that there is no appetite or interest in a Melbourne wide league. As for VAFA, it is and you can’t drink at games, so there is no way that Port, Werribee members would vote to join that league.

P.s. Noble Park to Balwyn is a bit different than Noble Park to Werribee. Not going to happen.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
hearing strong word the Bullants will be back standalone next season. playing group have stuck together, secured sponsorship prospects and a parachute payment from the blues/support from local council and northern league on the proviso home games are on sunday. far from over the line but what a comeback this would be

source: a player

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You also need juniors to succeed at local footy. Pretty sure only Willi and Werribee have juniors. The VFA clubs have a huge challenge should the VFL be dissolved. Let’s hope that does not happen.
Are we getting a fixture today?
Wrong. Coburg are the only VFL team that has Juniors. Their Juniors play in the EDFL.

hearing strong word the Bullants will be back standalone next season. playing group have stuck together, secured sponsorship prospects and a parachute payment from the blues/support from local council and northern league on the proviso home games are on sunday. far from over the line but what a comeback this would be

source: a player
Fantastic news. As much as I hate them, being both a Coburg and Essendon fan, I would hate it more if they weren't around
Wrong. Coburg are the only VFL team that has Juniors. Their Juniors play in the EDFL.
Sad to hear the EDFL won't go ahead. Down to the VAFA, SFNL and the MPFNL.

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's a heap of talk about what 2021 might look like. That will come in due course.

Let's just really enjoy this years VFL competition.
It's the purest VFL comp ever...with no $, no AFL/full time pro's playing, everyone plays eachother once, and no AFL "over coaching" or player/club manipulation.

IF CROWDS CAN ATTEND GAMES, get to the games, bring friends, encourage people to pick a VFL team (in 2020 their heads are less likely to explode due to them not having to actually barrack against their AFL team), buy a club membership and get behind the comp....with no local football it's a great opportunity for the VFL to gain added attention and support. If you haven't yet got a VFL team that you support, pick the one nearest to your home and who knows, you might just enjoy it.

Victoria is the "home of football" how can it not have a strong state league in any future football model? You look at the WAFL and SANFL....they are the only comps that people want to watch in those states (apart from Crows/Power/Eagles/Dockers fans). In Victoria we've fallen asleep at the wheel from a state league football point of view and the AFL have done way too much to pander and cater to the needs of AFL clubs....but in 2020 it's a great opportunity to get the comp back to where it should be.

Gotta love the fight of the old VFA clubs to get this season up against all odds.

Disagree. The VAFA has been around forever, and is absolutely thriving. Below the top division or two there’s no rivalries or real local games, except the odd one by chance. A suburban league could happen, but yes it would be a shift. You’d leave most divisions local anyway and just have one or two across the city.

Attitudes to travel change. There is absolutely nothing local about the EFL which is probably the most successful league. Noble Park, Doncaster, Balwyn, Rowville, Montrose? They voted to let Silvan in a number of years ago. They’ve now voted Berwick in too.

Outer East is a huge footprint from Healesville to Cranbourne. The MPNFL is single divisions now and stretches from Chelsea to bloody Sorrento. It’s a lot easier to get around than it used to be.

An away trip once a fortnight isn’t a big deal for most people. Agree it’d be a long way off but travel isn’t the factor it once was.
Oh there are definitely rivalries down the list in the VAFA. I can think of two very heated rivalries my club has in D1 this year.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Cheers. First junior team 2018. Good one. Willi aligned with Willi Jr but yes I stand corrected.
There are the Port Colts in Port Melbourne which has a very strong presence, but I don't think they are linked to us in any real way. Though a merger might be able to be arranged if required.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Just received an update in my email from the Port president, confirming that the fixture should be out this week, but it's no crowds for the time being. They are working with the AFL and Channel 7 to make all games available either on TV or via streaming.

I'm hoping things change in the 5 weeks between now and the season launches, but as long as I can watch my team in some way, I'll be OK.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
If you have ever had any involvement, or know people at footy clubs, you will know that there is no appetite or interest in a Melbourne wide league. As for VAFA, it is and you can’t drink at games, so there is no way that Port, Werribee members would vote to join that league.

P.s. Noble Park to Balwyn is a bit different than Noble Park to Werribee. Not going to happen.

I’m currently involved at a footy club. It really does vary by club. There are some clubs that would be interested in another level. There are certainly a shitload of clubs who wouldn’t be involved in it who would be for it - to make their own local league more competitive.

There’s other factors too, things are always changing. AFL Vic has already said 2021 first division salary caps will be $100k - thats less than half what some are now - and a third to a quarter of what some very financial clubs were spending just a couple of years ago. Some clubs will love that, for others it’s a huge adjustment to the way they do and always have done business. The competitive advantage they’ve enjoyed for many years is disappearing. It can lead to an appetite for something more.

Historically there’s been no interest but there’s also been no major brakes placed on the big clubs’ operations by suburban leagues. That’s changed and is about to get a lot more stringent.

It’s certainly not imminent but with so much changing it can’t be ruled out as a future option.

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do we think having the suburbs around/near Coburg and Werribee back in lockdown could have implications for the VFL commencing as fixtured?

It certainly sounds like all local footy will be officially off by the end of this week, and the AFL is struggling with creating hubs. Where does that leave the VFL?

Do you know what suburb Coburg FC trains in?

Do you know what suburbs Coburg/Werribee players live in?

Do you know what suburb Coburg FC trains in?

Do you know what suburbs Coburg/Werribee players live in?
I know Coburg were fixtured to play several games at Craigieburn.

Have trained at various venues (including affected areas) over summer before lockdown, and the vast majority of their players’ home clubs are in the Western/Essendon/Northern Leagues.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Latest update

Attachments

• 933D96DF-D084-4A1F-AB83-2D1014805AA9.jpeg
    933D96DF-D084-4A1F-AB83-2D1014805AA9.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 142

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think most clubs have been impacted by the hotspots. On average it's 5 players per club and you'd be Naive to think that VFL players all live in and around the suburb that their club is in. Frankston may be the only club not impacted based on the postcodes listed....maybe Sandringham too.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
Playing home games there would be like Carlton having home games at WH

I know plenty of people at Coburg who'd take Preston for the year over WH regardless of rivalry. Supporter base skewed much closer to Preston out of the two. Also ground is enclosed unlike WH.

Back