Review 2020 was....

Remove this Banner Ad

As ****ed as it was for me, it was seriously a disaster for my brother who lives O/S. His son was seriously ill and was undergoing some pretty experimental treatments because the conventional therapies were not working. His father had bought tickets to get to AUS three times. On the second trip he was in the plane but it didn't take off after six hours on the tarmac. Airlines were struggling to get permission to land in LA, Auckland, Sydney etc.

Apparently the risk was that if the connection in LA was missed or delayed, it was likely that the entire flight would be forced into 14 days of quarantine in the USA. Then a second 14 days upon arrival to AUS.

Eventually my brother made it to Melbourne but by this time his son was becoming extremely close to dying. Two weeks in hotel quarantine must have been like hell. My brother was given one compassionate exemption to visit his son in Peter Mac (under guard) on about day 9. That two hours was the last time he and his son were able to talk face to face as the boy went into a coma soon after. The price to pay was a full extra day in quarantine and two more covid tests than originally mandated.

We spent time in the hospital while his son passed away just a couple of days after my brother got out of quarantine.

This was during the height of the s**t that was going down with the hotel quarantine stuff. Despite that, the setbacks and the emotion of it all, my brother said that his experience with the hotel security was not as bad as we saw reported in the media.

As f’ed as it was for me, it was seriously a disaster for my brother who lives O/S. His son was seriously ill and was undergoing some pretty experimental treatments because the conventional therapies were not working. His father had bought tickets to get to AUS three times. On the second trip he was in the plane but it didn't take off after six hours on the tarmac. Airlines were struggling to get permission to land in LA, Auckland, Sydney etc.

Apparently the risk was that if the connection in LA was missed or delayed, it was likely that the entire flight would be forced into 14 days of quarantine in the USA. Then a second 14 days upon arrival to AUS.

Eventually my brother made it to Melbourne but by this time his son was becoming extremely close to dying. Two weeks in hotel quarantine must have been like hell. My brother was given one compassionate exemption to visit his son in Peter Mac (under guard) on about day 9. That two hours was the last time he and his son were able to talk face to face as the boy went into a coma soon after. The price to pay was a full extra day in quarantine and two more covid tests than originally mandated.

We spent time in the hospital while his son passed away just a couple of days after my brother got out of quarantine.

This was during the height of the sh*t that was going down with the hotel quarantine stuff. Despite that, the setbacks and the emotion of it all, my brother said that his experience with the hotel security was not as bad as we saw reported in the media.
What a sad story. Sorry to hear of your families loss. I hope 2021 brings some happier times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As f’ed as it was for me, it was seriously a disaster for my brother who lives O/S. His son was seriously ill and was undergoing some pretty experimental treatments because the conventional therapies were not working. His father had bought tickets to get to AUS three times. On the second trip he was in the plane but it didn't take off after six hours on the tarmac. Airlines were struggling to get permission to land in LA, Auckland, Sydney etc.

This was during the height of the sh*t that was going down with the hotel quarantine stuff. Despite that, the setbacks and the emotion of it all, my brother said that his experience with the hotel security was not as bad as we saw reported in the media.
Sorry to hear that.

That's such a sad story SonofSamsquanch ...appreciate you sharing. Just awful for ya brother.

Comfortably better than the previous 3. Ignorance, both through design and apathy has been a boon. The horrors of reality have thankfully been absent and my best little mate and I are well settled under the same roof. A mate said last year that 3 sh!t years in 50 is still travelling at 94% 👍 Happy to see the year end, its defo had its moments

Pretty bloody good up in Brissy. Like most other years but I haven’t had to get up for early morning flights for 9 months now.
And for our soft lockdown back in April, I went up to my Dads joint at Noosa and went body surfing every morning and had bbq’s and beer drinking every afternoon for two weeks.
Actually a pretty righteous year old told!
Except for North who had a s**t year but I stopped watching and I was all good again

Personally for me it’s been one of the best of my life.
For the last 20 odd years I had worked on average 70+ hours per week. The previous 5 years it was well above 80. At best I would manage about 1 week off a year. So in May I accepted a redundancy as the business I worked for was being hammered by COVID.

in July I decided to stop looking for work and decided to spend the year supporting my wife to grow her business and took over running the house and looking after our 3 girls.

I picked up the guitar again, got fit and healthy and have spent more time with my kids then ever before. I reconnected with family and friendsperhaps even saved my marriage as I was no longer the absent one.

2020 was the reset I needed and it taught me that you live to work. Not work to live.
In hindsight work was slowly killing me. I got rid of my chest pain and high cholesterol and blood pressure. There is no doubt in my mind now that the world that was for me would not of let me see my 50th in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back