List Mgmt. 2020 West Coast NGA Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Some updates on the academy structure.

In 2020, Ash Sampi, Brad Smith and Fraser McInnes have all joined the coaching groups. There will be a bigger focus on developing and identifying regional talent.

Some updates on the academy structure.

In 2020, Ash Sampi, Brad Smith and Fraser McInnes have all joined the coaching groups. There will be a bigger focus on developing and identifying regional talent.

Ah good to see Ash Sampi getting a gig.

Was wondering what Mcinnes role was now that he has given up playing WAFL to play for Trinity instead.

Somewhat old news now but Jamison Ugle from Swan Districts is a member of the Academy, eligible this year to be drafted.

Yeah, both are for 2021 draft. Hopefully their is a championships this year and both get to play as under agers.

With a shortened season and list sizes about to get smaller, I think it'll be very unlikely for any bottom agers to get game time at the championships this year.

Their best chances would be through their respective WAFL teams during the colts season which is about to start up.

With a shortened season and list sizes about to get smaller, I think it'll be very unlikely for any bottom agers to get game time at the championships this year.

Their best chances would be through their respective WAFL teams during the colts season which is about to start up.
No word here about under 18s restarting, over 18s can play footy from 13th July so hopefully they'll be able to play soon after.

No word here about under 18s restarting, over 18s can play footy from 13th July so hopefully they'll be able to play soon after.

The WAFL Colts begin their pre season matches from around the 10th of July and if all goes smoothly play finals in October. Expecting that the championships should be shortly after then.

I saw that the NAB league also recently got approval to start training again so Victoria arent too far behind.

The WAFL Colts begin their pre season matches from around the 10th of July and if all goes smoothly play finals in October. Expecting that the championships should be shortly after then.

I saw that the NAB league also recently got approval to start training again so Victoria arent too far behind.
Literally saw under 18s can start playing from 13th July here in Vic, can't find any word on NAB league though. But you'd think they'd start then, school footy will be on the same time though.

Looks like August for NAB League and 6 games only, and no championships but rather a representative program in October.

The update to AFL clubs also confirmed the AFL's aim of starting Victoria's under-18 NAB League - for both boys and girls - in a reduced format later this year.

NAB LEAGUE Late-season return on the cards

AFL.com.au reported last month that it was targeting an August return for a season potentially of six weeks to ensure draft hopefuls get a chance to impress.

"We are working closely with all governments and health authorities to determine a return for the state league and talent pathways competitions," Salter said.

"Over the past few months we have been working through and understanding the details surrounding each competition in consultation with clubs and officials.

"We are committed to getting football back at these levels and will continue to help and support all players, clubs, officials, supporters and leagues.

"We are determined to provide all eligible AFL draft prospects the opportunity to showcase their skills ahead of a NAB AFL Draft at the end of this year."

The AFL has prioritised getting each state-based under-18 competition up and running, but is also hopeful of holding a "representative program" for October this year in lieu of the normal mid-year under-18 national championships.

Due to budget restraints and travel restrictions, the under-16s carnival will not proceed in 2020.

The League is also keen to stage a wound-back NAB AFL Draft Combine in October with a focus on club interviews and medical screenings.

Ideal scenario for us this year would be if we have a highly rated NGA or F/S coming through who attracts a (in the teens seeing as it is an ideal scenario) first round bid.

We can cobble some points from later picks - and also assists with us meeting our first round pick requirement for trading and future trading.

Unlikely to happen from what I'm reading - but there is a whole 'season' to go yet I suppose!

Ideal scenario for us this year would be if we have a highly rated NGA or F/S coming through who attracts a (in the teens seeing as it is an ideal scenario) first round bid.

We can cobble some points from later picks - and also assists with us meeting our first round pick requirement for trading and future trading.

Unlikely to happen from what I'm reading - but there is a whole 'season' to go yet I suppose!
Feels like we've got better NGAs next year, I'd be tempted to do some pick swapping between the two years to improve our draft hand this year and points for next year.

Swap next years first rounder for a first rounder this year. Eliminate risk of someone forcing our hand next year to use it on a NGA.

Swap this years 2 x 3rd round picks for two next year or a second rounder.

2020 draft
- first round pick
- second round pick

2021 where we've potentially got better NGAS.
- Either 2 x second round picks and 3rd round
- one second round pick and 3 x 3rd round picks.

Dogs, Pies, swans all need points this year for NGAs sp would be willing to trade picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the the players attached to our NGA possible mids? It would be good for some talented young mids for once. We are set for KPP players but wayyyy to thin in the midfield department.

Unless there are any bolters, I think there are only two potential prospects this year and neither of them are mids. One is a medium /small defender and the other a medium / small forward. Both are electric and speedy and have a bit of X-Factor about them.

I'm sure they've had runs through the midfield but their respective WAFL clubs use them in these positions. Might change this season though now that they are top agers and have bigger bodies.

Last edited:
Is trading into a compromised first round with draftees barely able to play a season to show their skills really a good idea?
Our recruiters would know 75% of this years draft already, they track them through under 16 championships and loads of them played last year in NAB league, colts etc. The other 25% are those who won't get drafted anyway, you'd be lucky if 1% of them got drafted.
They'll play enough games this season to really shape the draft, especially the first two rounds.

From what I've seen of this years crop looks like plenty of good talent so even if we had pick 18 that drifted a bit, you'd get a good player.

I've actually seen Humphries play. Played HB in the Hodge style......lots of pointing and setting the defence.

Many intercept marks and he uses his left more than his preferred right, very good user on both. Seems quite capable overhead.

The way he runs he looks like a shorter Paddy Ryder, but has gears when needed.

Eligible next year.

Anyone have an update on Ezekiel Bolton? And is it Jamison Ugle who is an academy member that we don’t get first dibs on?

The lad speaks exceedingly well, very articulate and grounded for his age.

All the best to him, his attitude is fantastic, sounds as if he id going to take both the academic and sporting opportunities that he has been presented with in both hands.

Very impressive young man.

i do not think Ezekiel Bolton will be drafted cib police branch where at his mothers house this morning at 8:30 (04/11/20) looking for him apparently they have him on recording stealing a handbag from a car. such a shame to se him going down the same path as his father.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back