Prediction 2020 will be the easiest B2B we have ever had.

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as Stack and Bolton play forward rolls instead of Rioli and George.
we would be lethal from all angles, throw dusty into the mix id hate to be oppo coach defending that.
we would have the best forward half in the comp bar none.

we would be lethal from all angles, throw dusty into the mix id hate to be oppo coach defending that.

what are Rioli and George doing then?

Stack:Yes, in the backline for starters. (Baker or Short out) George Yes off the wing. Rioli will not be dropped. Dimma loves him. Rioli & George have the fitness to apply fwd pressure. Which won us a flag in 2017. Obviously with Lynch we have a different look which makes the small fwd pressure more important

Last edited:
id have stack on the wing, Rioli and George as forward flankers, they’re all rotatable
Yes they are, but to win games you need to kick between the posts, if l was putting guys up that end of the ground they need to be able to convert.
When the big forwards are held it's those forwards that need to kick a couple here and there.
Stack is capable of kicking 4.
George on the other hand will kick 4 points.

Yes they are, but to win games you need to kick between the posts, if l was putting guys up that end of the ground they need to be able to convert.
When the big forwards are held it's those forwards that need to kick a couple here and there.
Stack is capable of kicking 4.
George on the other hand will kick 4 points.

let’s just see if George kicks straighter this year, I think he will convert more than he did in 2019

Rioli will not be dropped. Dimma loves him.

Probably true, but a kick in the butt (few weeks in the 2s, realisation he's not guaranteed a place) could do him the world of good.

Probably true, but a kick in the butt (few weeks in the 2s, realisation he's not guaranteed a place) could do him the world of good.
They did last year and I’m pretty sure he knows he’s not guaranteed a spot week in and week out. However while he’s playing his best football in September, and let’s be honest he does, he is best 22.

Also he’s still only 22, I often think a lot of people honestly forget how young he still is. He’s nowhere near his peak yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

let’s just see if George kicks straighter this year, I think he will convert more than he did in 2019
He won't kick straighter. Or more goals. His scoring over the last 3 years has been almost identical. He'll kick 5 behinds in the granny and balance it out with 5 goals another week

They did last year and I’m pretty sure he knows he’s not guaranteed a spot week in and week out. However while he’s playing his best football in September, and let’s be honest he does, he is best 22.

Also he’s still only 22, I often think a lot of people honestly forget how young he still is. He’s nowhere near his peak yet.
I've got a feeling he may have been carrying a bit of an injury. Round 3 vs Giants

I've got a feeling he may have been carrying a bit of an injury. Round 3 vs Giants
Yep he got crunched hard that game.

Very surprised he managed to make it back out on the ground during that game if I’m honest. I’m sure you could hear the crunch of his ribs through the television that day.

Last year was largely due to injury.

He'll always be more about quality than quantity, but another 5 possessions would take him from being a good-ordinary role players to a force to be reckoned with.

Last year was largely due to injury.

He'll always be more about quality than quantity, but another 5 possessions would take him from being a good-ordinary role players to a force to be reckoned with.
I’m not saying I don’t agree with you, because I do. However I’m not sure we’ll get that with him, it’s part of the reason our team is so good, all anyone has to do is play their role and we’re good and 95% of the time he does play that role.

Our flair, for anyone, really doesn’t come out until we play finals, during the year it’s play your role and we’ll be gold.

I’m not saying I don’t agree with you, because I do. However I’m not sure we’ll get that with him, it’s part of the reason our team is so good, all anyone has to do is play their role and we’re good and 95% of the time he does play that role.

Our flair, for anyone, really doesn’t come out until we play finals, during the year it’s play your role and we’ll be gold.
It's also his role too, small fwds never dominate every week but he's not that sort of player anyway. it's his running & chasing which keeps him in the side & that is what his role demands of him. the rest he does is a bonus.

It's also his role too, small fwds never dominate every week but he's not that sort of player anyway. it's his running & chasing which keeps him in the side & that is what his role demands of him. the rest he does is a bonus.
Yes agree. Assuming we're talking about Castagna. :$

Without meaning to sound too critical, his disposal in all area's and under all circumstances is pretty sub par. If one isn't taking much notice, his disposal under pressure looks alright, but upon closer inspection will usually drop marginally short/long/low/high, meaning the receiver has to work a bit harder to get it. Usually gets away with it.

But then with his set shots it becomes very obvious, hence so many behinds. Thankfully he'll often jag an incredibly hard/arsey goal which takes the pressure off him a bit and all is forgiven.

But...

His run, evasion, tackling, teamwork and sheer speed really make up for the above mentioned cons,

and I reckon he currently compliments the team and its game plan just nicely.

Yes agree. Assuming we're talking about Castagna. :$

Without meaning to sound too critical, his disposal in all area's and under all circumstances is pretty sub par. If one isn't taking much notice, his disposal under pressure looks alright, but upon closer inspection will usually drop marginally short/long/low/high, meaning the receiver has to work a bit harder to get it. Usually gets away with it.

But then with his set shots it becomes very obvious, hence so many behinds. Thankfully he'll often jag an incredibly hard/arsey goal which takes the pressure off him a bit and all is forgiven.

But...

His run, evasion, tackling, teamwork and sheer speed really make up for the above mentioned cons,

and I reckon he currently compliments the team and its game plan just nicely.

to get six or seven shots at goal in a grand final is very impressive

his toughness and insane speed sets him apart and he gets a game untill someone proves they are good enough to play like Pickett did

the guys between 50-100 games i think, will be very important for winning the 2020 flag; Broad, Short, Nankervis, George, Rioli, Mcintosh, Lambert,

back on george specifically like others have said, it looks like he will push onto a wing this season more and more. Allowing Cotchin, Lambert, Martin, etc. to rest more forward

george is only 23yr 6mth and is getting better now as a mid. Not the best player in the world but best 22 currently i think

We have to incorporate too many players into our 22. If we can manage to do that in a positive way rather than creating negativity we'll crush this season. (Assuming injuries aren't crazy like 2019).

I reckon we could go with Ross and Graham inside to free Cotch up. That causes even more of a log jam for the more outside players - of which was have about 68 AFL quality.

Our forward line and defense should function better post 2019, as big change in personnel have bedded down.

Soldo should be better, with Nank acting as a sort of second fiddle (well, Soldo first for taps and then moving forward as a target, and Nank first for round the around and then taking the oppo second ruck). And CCJ coming on could cause problems for those 2 keeping their spot in the firsts.

I don't see that other teams have adapted to how we play the game as yet. We've worked out how to beat us, and have been recruiting and structuring up to stop them doing that. I reckon last year we nearly had a bit of a new look midfield structure/style. Ross and Graham inside to match any monsters, Caddy being a hard edge bastard along the wing. A much more nasty side than mostly relying on Cotch for that aggressive edge - and he hasn't got any softer. Injuries didn't allow it to fully embed. But if we have good injury luck I suspect that we might turn our weakness against good contested teams around.

I know it's just projection of my dreams and hopes, but I seriously do think that we are seeing a third phase in the evolution of the Tigers. 1st phase 2017 where we developed a super high pressure style reliant on repeat efforts and swarming smalls. 2nd phase addition of Tom Lynch and a 2nd ruck created a team that can control the air and turbocharge the pressure. 3rd phase 2019ish and 2020 (I hope) super pressure, extra talls and a monster inside mid group that reduces the ability of other teams to get control of the ball. It's not so much that we gain control as that we stop the opposition from controlling the movement of the ball from contests. I reckon that we are almost unbeatable if we don't cede control ball from contests.

Anyway, we'll see. If I'm right teams will struggle to deal with us supercharging the turbocharging of 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back