2020 Women's T20 World Cup - India v Australia Final - Sun 8 March, 6pm AEDT

What lame headline will adorn The Daily Cricketer Times following the Women's T20 World Cup?

• New Zealand Saved By Priest And Devine Int-Kerr-vention? You Bates Believe It

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Timely reminder of Meg's propensity to cost matches with poor captaincy. The good news is it traditionally only happens once a year. Wareham and Gardner only bowling two overs today, huge mistake. Having Gardner bat in the super over, after being 0 off 6 and "accelerating" to 16 off 20 in the innings proper, even worse.

Not gonna take credit for figuring out Knight is England's barometer, feeling more satisfied with my pro-Davies stance--can't see any reason to not have her locked in the XI. Haven't heard the extent of Shrubsole's injury, but if she's not fit for next match then Winfield (did nothing, again) still shouldn't be getting a game (play Kate Cross instead imo).

Whenever I watch Gardner play it seems she bats way too high. Why were Lanning and Perry below her in the order?
Question for the ages. The match-winning knocks she's had at international level have been in ODIs batting at 7. And it's not like she's coming off even a decent WBBL season (averaged 21, strike rate 115) that demands a top 3 position in the national team.

Generally I say having Perry bat at 5 for Australia in T20s doesn't matter too much because the streakier players above her will either hit out or get out quickly... not the case for Gardner today (although it was true again for Healy).

Lannings biggest mistake was bowling Perry out at the start, it would have been nice to see her bowl an over or two at the death.

Ash Gardner was the right batswomen to have in the super over as she is our cleanest hitter, she was unlucky her drive was stopped by Ecclestone, who is generally a pretty poor fielder although not too bad off her own bowling. Healy wasted the first three balls. It would have been an unusual choice but I would have used Sutherland, she was batting very well at the time.

The choice of Ecclestone was interesting by England, she is probably their best bowler, but it was interesting they would choose a spinner.

Whenever I watch Gardner play it seems she bats way too high. Why were Lanning and Perry below her in the order?
She generally bats very well at 3 or 4 but she has struggled the last 18 months with concussions and a couple of other niggles. I don’t think she has had the consistency of match play and as a result is a little inconsistent with her batting, but she did show some signs with a fifty and a few 40’s late in the WBBL. But she has had another concussion since.

The boundaries are way to freaking small

Bigger boundaries = more gaps

The boundaries are way to freaking small

Bigger boundaries = more gaps
They aren’t too different to the boundaries in the BBL. They are about 60 metres square of the wicket and 68 metres down the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More good news for Australia is they couldn't be accused of peaking too early just yet. Pitch obviously doing more today so take the win however it comes, but no excuse for the way Healy and Haynes and Jonassen (all senior members) got out after failing to fire yesterday.

Reddy's prolonged reaction to the hit on her hand looked quite worrying. If it's a broken finger and thus another serious injury to one of their seamers, India are gonna have to lure the old Chakdaha Express out of T20 retirement at this rate!

All 3 teams very inconsistent this weekend, though it's made for some exciting tussles and huge momentum swings. Just as big a momentum swing over in NZ too as the hosts, after losing the one-dayers 3-0, take a 1-0 lead in their T20 series over South Africa (chased 117 down with about 8 overs to spare, smashed them).

7TWO today (right now) for free-to-air viewers, most likely a must-win match for India to make the final of this tri-series (but they get another hit out against a CAXI on Wednesday anyway if they miss out).

Let’s hope it’s not just a one off though
That’s the next step isn’t it, her consistency. She has the talent and the power to be our most damaging and exciting player, she just needs to put it together on a more consistent basis.

That’s the next step isn’t it, her consistency. She has the talent and the power to be our most damaging and exciting player, she just needs to put it together on a more consistent basis.

Do like her at 3 though. If she gets out cheap you have Lanning and Perry as insurance.

Gosh Haynes is a crab what’s she in the side for? She’s woeful! Erin Burns is better and can bowl

Back