2020 Women's T20 World Cup - India v Australia Final - Sun 8 March, 6pm AEDT

What lame headline will adorn The Daily Cricketer Times following the Women's T20 World Cup?

• New Zealand Saved By Priest And Devine Int-Kerr-vention? You Bates Believe It

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a five over patch in the middle of India's innings when every decision Meg made was wrong, dead wrong.

You belong in the comentary box along with Sthalekar and co, and their endless moaning about how every aspect of the game isn't to their liking. If they had to restrict themselves to praise and the babbling idiot male couldn't talk about everything but the game, there'd just be golden silence.

drop the dead duck.. no drop the hound for trying too hard..
You belong in the comentary box along with Sthalekar and co, and their endless moaning about how every aspect of the game isn't to their liking. If they had to restrict themselves to praise and the babbling idiot male couldn't talk about everything but the game, there'd just be golden silence.
You guys don't belong in this thread. This is a place for sensible and comprehensible cricket discussion. Take your bullshit and * off.

Today's warm-up game at AB Field was called off due to heavy rain during the week. Not the worst thing for us coming off three matches in the last week (with another warm-up v South Africa in Adelaide still to come), but I'm sure the Windies would benefit from as much practice against top teams as possible at this point.

Forecast for the tournament opener in Sydney on Friday is... not terrible, but not great either (BOM says 30% chance of any rain at 8pm).

Talk Vlaemick may miss the World Cup with a stress fracture to her foot. Be a terrible shame if it is the case, she is one of Australia’s brightest young talents and it would be great to see bowl to the worlds best batters.

Talk Vlaemick may miss the World Cup with a stress fracture to her foot. Be a terrible shame if it is the case, she is one of Australia’s brightest young talents and it would be great to see bowl to the worlds best batters.

Wait for the scan but yep.

If she’s out we better draft in a quick...I swear if Kimmice plays I might go nuts

Results from the warm-up games this week

RSA 5/146 [Kapp 44 (44), Wolvaardt 38* (24), Tryon 23* (9); Probodani 2/8 (4)] defeated SL 8/105 [Kanchana 24* (15); Luus 4/20 (4)] — My girl Kulasuriya copped one in the bonce during a practice Super Over and was carted off to hospital, reportedly ok now but didn't play in the second warm-up game.

NZL 9/134 [Martin 57 (44); Brunt 3/23 (4)] defeated by ENG 4/136 (18) [Knight 45* (36), Wyatt 42 (32); Tahuhu 2/20 (3)]

RSA 6/147 [van Niekerk 62 (51); Kimmince 2/34 (4)] defeated by AUS 6/150 (19.3 overs) [Lanning 47 (36), Haynes 39 (35), Carey 17* (13); Kapp 4/16 (4)]

IND 8/107 [Pandey 24* (16); Mohammed 2/16 (3) Connell 2/20 (4)] defeated WI 7/105 [Kirby 42 (41), Matthews 25 (21); Yadav 3/20 [4]) — Very much a grain of salt game given the ground conditions at AB Field.

ENG 9/122 [Jones 23 (20), Ecclestone 16* (13); Siriwardena 4/22 (4), Atapattu 3/21 (4)] defeated by SL 0/123 (12.3 overs) [Atapattu 78* (50)] — This result is not so easy to gloss over. It's indicative of England's slide really. I've happily admitted for a while now that Sri Lanka at their absolute best can beat Australia... but by 10 wickets with 45 balls remaining? Not a chance, no way, not ever! Brunt the only frontline bowler for the England lineup, which was only missing Sciver from its best XI, to retain somewhat respectable figures during Chamari's onslaught.

NZL 4/194 [Bates 78 (47), Kerr 54 (40), Devine DNB; Sutthiruang 2/31 (3)] defeated THA 8/113 (Sutthiruang 36 (31); Kasperek 3/9 (3), Huddleston 3/29 (4)]

Last game in progress: BAN 8/111 [Murshida Khatun 43 (38); Anwar 2/12 (3)] versus PAK 5/78 (15 overs) [Khan 41* (33), Salma Khatun 2/9 (2)] — The one other game they managed to get in at soggy AB Field, so wouldn't read too much into this one either.

---

Confirmation that Tayla Vlaeminck has been ruled out of the World Cup with a stress fracture in her foot, Molly Strano comes into the squad. Calling up an experienced spinner over a young quick like Vakarewa could be read a few ways—one is they're content with Sutherland (0/26 from 2 overs vs South Africa) as the go-to when they want a faster pace option than Carey or Kimmince, even though 115km/h seems to be her top speed (but she should be capable of getting much steeper bounce).

Teen Wolf didn't want to quote the whole post.

In terms of the Tayla replacement, because it's so short term they probably went for the fractionally more experienced player in Strano. If this happened a month ago they may have gone differently. I mean I wish we could ship Kimmice off to Siberia and pick Vakarewa anyway but we can't be picky. Also if you look at our spinners we don't have an off spinner really. We have a leg spinner, a couple of left arm orthodox spinners, and that's it. Don't consider Gardner or Burns' party pies more than change bowling at best.

In terms of the Tayla replacement, because it's so short term they probably went for the fractionally more experienced player in Strano. If this happened a month ago they may have gone differently. I mean I wish we could ship Kimmice off to Siberia and pick Vakarewa anyway but we can't be picky. Also if you look at our spinners we don't have an off spinner really. We have a leg spinner, a couple of left arm orthodox spinners, and that's it. Don't consider Gardner or Burns' party pies more than change bowling at best.
They'd still be bringing in Strano if she was another left-arm orthodox bowler, it's not suddenly important to have a more capable off-spinner than Gardner.

Molly isn't 'fractionally' more experienced, the gap between her and Vakarewa in that respect is a lot greater than 4 T20I appearances. Nevertheless we'll be going into a WC match against India without picking our third best available quick, so Mott et al really haven't learned anything from the 2017 bomb-out. Might not end up mattering but it is needlessly risky.

They'd still be bringing in Strano if she was another left-arm orthodox bowler, it's not suddenly important to have a more capable off-spinner than Gardner.

Molly isn't 'fractionally' more experienced, the gap between her and Vakarewa in that respect is a lot greater than 4 T20I appearances. Nevertheless we'll be going into a WC match against India without picking our third best available quick, so Mott et al really haven't learned anything from the 2017 bomb-out. Might not end up mattering but it is needlessly risky.

Not so certain they would have brought Strano in had it happened a month ago. However Vakerewa would be a massive gamble and if it fails we have to go back to Kimmice (give me the puke bucket please). Strano is the safer choice and she's not awful with the bat or in the field as well. I'd actually play Strano tomorrow, it gives our attack variety. They won't but I'd pay her. I had Strano in my original squad actually, just wish Kimmice would be out as well so we could just pick both of them.

Perry needs to bowl well, and it would help if she bowls more than 2 overs.

Really the longtime Schutt/Perry combination is still the foundation of the bowling attack. Other than that the seam depth isn't that strong. Kimmince has been meh for a while, Carey is slightly better but broadly similar and Sutherland is still raw and prone to being expensive. Having someone like Vakerewa in the squad may have been handy, would probably have gone that way myself was I a selector but she isn't exactly the silver bullet some are making out she is.

Thinking more longterm now, Darcie Brown is the future of the pace attack. Only 16 still but she already bowls comfortably quicker than any other South Australian. She's only small but can really charge in, bit of Shabnim Ismail about her methinks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the Burns injury situation, there may well have been a standby call placed to Strano a month ago for all we know.

You don't need a silver bullet to trouble India's batting lineup, but you might need more than one player capable of bowling faster than 105km/h consistently.

---

Something I didn't realise until reading this article...

...is that in addition to Australia's games, these matches below will also be shown on Gem:
  • Feb 22, New Zealand v Sri Lanka (10pm AEDT)
  • Feb 23, England v South Africa (9.30pm AEDT)
  • Feb 27, India v New Zealand (2.30pm AEDT)
  • Feb 28, England v Pakistan (6.30pm AEDT)
  • Mar 1, England v West Indies (6.30pm AEDT)
  • Mar 3, West Indies v South Africa (6.30pm AEDT)
Should be some good ones there!

Both Carey and Perry bowl quick enough
Carey bowls the same pace as Schutt and Kimmince mate, let's be honest. 102 km/h stock, which you can get away with 8-12 overs of in women's T20s... in some conditions against some teams.

Carey bowls the same pace as Schutt and Kimmince mate, let's be honest. 102 km/h stock, which you can get away with 8-12 overs of in women's T20s... in some conditions against some teams.

Carey is a bit quicker, different type. Skiddy type of quick. She’s a bit quicker than Kimmice who bowls party pies at 90kmph

Carey does bowl well, but often too full and goes the journey in the V between cover and cow-corner... which is always risky in a T20 with somebody who can slog reasonably well.

Carey does bowl well, but often too full and goes the journey in the V between cover and cow-corner... which is always risky in a T20 with somebody who can slog reasonably well.

To a degree but doesn't Lanning's field placements become a factor there. If she gets hit there have someone out there, maybe have the mid off in the circle. I like Lanning but sometimes her field placements are a bit of "what works for Perry, works for every quick". Ditto Shutt who is an inswing bowler and we rarely have a fine leg...it's a tough shot to hit an inswing bowler through the covers, so why is a fielder out there?

I've arrived at Sydney Showgrounds for the first game. The rope has been brought in as usual, for the women's game. The electronic signage has also been brought in to a few metres of the rope. What this means is anyone close to ground level won't be able to see the boundary.
Anyhow, I'm looking forward to a great game and atmosphere. Western Sydney has a big Indian community.

Aus won the toss, bowling first, lineup is Healy, Mooney, Gardner, Lanning, Perry, Haynes, Sutherland, Jonassen, Kimmince, Strano, Schutt.

The electronic signage has also been brought in to a few metres of the rope. What this means is anyone close to ground level won't be able to see the boundary.
Noticed that on the socials earlier, looks quite silly. Understand bringing in that signage a little bit to satisfy the sponsors but gee it seemed like overkill from what I saw.

Last edited:
India's XI is Shafali Verma, Smriti Mandhana, Jemimah Rodrigues, Harmanpreet Kaur (c), Deepti Sharma, Veda Krishnamurthy, Shikha Pandey, Taniya Bhatia (wk), Arundhati Reddy, Poonam Yadav, Rajeshwari Gayakwad

Back