Draft Watcher 2020 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Okay, so not entirely SA stuff...but my last update before the draft.

Big Board - November 28

1. Elijah Hollands (189cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
2. Denver Grainger-Barras (194cm, 78kg from WA)
3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (195cm, 90kg from Vic Country)
4. Logan McDonald (196cm, 86kg from WA)
5. Riley Thilthorpe (201cm, 100kg from SA)
6. Braeden Campbell (181cm, 75kg from Sydney)
7. Archie Perkins (188cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
8. Will Phillips (180cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Brayden Cook (189cm, 82kg from SA)
10. Oliver Henry (188cm, 77kg from Vic Country)

11. Lachlan Jones (186cm, 89kg from SA)
12. Heath Chapman (193cm, 81kg from WA)
13. Tom Powell (183cm, 74kg from SA)
14. Zach Reid (202cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
15. Tanner Bruhn (183cm, 74kg from Vic Country)
16. Bailey Laurie (179cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
17. Jack Carroll (187cm, 76kg from WA)
18. Caleb Poulter (192cm, 79kg from SA)
19. Finlay Macrae (186cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
20. Brandon Walker (183cm, 75kg from WA)

21. Shannon Neale (202cm, 91kg from WA)
22. Zavier Maher (185cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
23. Blake Coleman (180cm, 79kg from Brisbane)
24. Nikolas Cox (200cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
25. Luke Pedlar (183cm, 80kg from SA)
26. Eddie Ford (189cm, 83kg from Vic Metro)
27. Reef McInness (193cm, 86kg from Vic Country)
28. Conor Stone (189cm, 83kg from Vic Metro)
29. Nathan O'Driscoll (187cm, 78kg from WA)
30. Corey Durdin (173cm, 73kg from SA)

31. Fraser Rosman (194cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)
32. Errol Gulden (175cm, 75kg from Sydney)
33. Jake Bowey (175cm, 67kg from Vic Metro)
34. Kaine Baldwin (193cm, 90kg from SA)
35. Phoenix Spicer (173cm, 64kg from SA)
36. Connor Downie (185cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
37. Joel Western (172cm, 68kg from WA)
38. Matthew Allison (194cm, 81kg from Vic Metro)
39. Ryan Angwin (184cm, 72kg from Vic Country)
40. Brodie Lake (185cm, 79kg from NT)

41. Isiah Winder (180cm, 79kg from WA)
42. Kalin Lane (204cm, 95kg from WA)
43. Seamus Mitchell (181cm, 74kg from Vic Country)
44. Malachy Carruthers (185cm, 72kg from SA)
45. Zane Trew (188cm, 80kg from WA)
46. James Borlase (192cm, 93kg from SA)
47. Patrick Walker (187cm, 76kg from Tasmania)
48. Jack Ginnivan (183cm, 77kg from Vic Country)
49. Liam Kolar (195cm, 81kg from Vic Metro)
50. Callum Park (190cm, 74kg from SA)

51. Jackson Callow (194cm, 100kg from Tasmania)
52. Zac Dumesny (186cm, 80kg from SA)
53. Liam McMahon (196cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)
54. Cody Brand (196cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
55. Sam Berry (181cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
56. Max Heath (203cm, 94kg from Vic Metro)
57. James Rowe (173cm, 73kg from SA)
58. Beau McCreery (186cm, 80kg from SA)
59. Jacob Wehr (184cm, 71kg from SA)
60. Lachlan Carrigan (191cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)

POTENTIAL top-five pick Riley Thilthorpe booted two goals in West Adelaide's senior SANFL side last weekend as another draft bolter continues to emerge from South Australia.

But while Thilthorpe has long been considered a probable top choice, another South Australian is catching the eye.

AFL recruiters, who are largely based in Victoria, have been watching the SANFL games online, with Woodville-West Torrens teenager Caleb Poulter bursting into draft calculations with a strong start to the season.

Nice to see Twomey joining the Poulter express ;)

Poulter was definitely one of the guys to watch coming into the SA season, he's done about all he can so far. He's one who would massively benefit from some sort of U18 Championships. Looks to me like he'd be a flanker at the next level, bit of Jordan Dawson in him from his draft year.

But he's in my top 30 which is in the OP now.

SA draft watchers, how does L Jones compare to Will Gould?

A couple of man children, playing at SANFL level in the back pocket.

SA draft watchers, how does L Jones compare to Will Gould?

A couple of man children, playing at SANFL level in the back pocket.

gould a more natural intercepting defender and taller. Jones a better athlete from my viewings. There’s a bunch of people here with better ideas and more experience than me though.

gould has way better exposed form than jones at the same age, jones might have more upside due to that athleticism.

Last edited:
No he didn't. Fatter? What a flog comment.

He has gotten stronger in order to be a key forward instead of a flanker. We don't want a replacement for Tom Lynch, we want a replacement for Tex.

Personally, should be a Jake Stringer instead. His inside midfield game was too good as a junior to throw away.

Would be expected Powell in your top 30, how far off is he for you?

Tom Powell was more of an omission due to having a lot of SA guys already in my 30. If I were to update now, I'd have him inside my top 25 and as the leading midfielder for SA. I know Poulter is getting the hype, but I'd be much more confident in picking Powell.

What kind of mids are Mani Liddy and Nic Kraemer? Late draft potential?

Both are inside, ball winning mids. Kraemer is more your big bodied, crash the packs type. Liddy is a bit cleaner, a really hard worker. Both would be late draft chances, but I suspect there won't be as many picks this year and the rookie draft isn't really what it used to be anymore. So they may well end up being one of the unlucky ones, with teams potentially preferring a more versatile player like a Jamison Murphy.

I don't mind Kraemer though. I think he has potential in a Hugh Greenwood type role - throw the big body where you need it, low numbers/high impact.

Tom Powell was more of an omission due to having a lot of SA guys already in my 30. If I were to update now, I'd have him inside my top 25 and as the leading midfielder for SA. I know Poulter is getting the hype, but I'd be much more confident in picking Powell.

I agree re Powell v Poulter. Powell is just so assertive in the way he hunts and finds the footy. I feel like his strengths are transferable and his weaknesses can be rectified with more footy in a professional environment. Poulter drifts in and out of games for me and I feel like he'll get a bit lost at higher levels. His physical profile is obviously attractive but I still think his football has a little way to go.

Chris25 Would be interested to get your thoughts on Kaine Baldwin (apologies if you have put them somewhere else!) - obviously you have him at 21 at the moment - where do you see him / what role do you see him playing at AFL level? What were his key strengths (is he likely to retain them post knee op)? In your opinion is he more likely to rise or fall further as we get closer to the draft?

Chris25 Would be interested to get your thoughts on Kaine Baldwin (apologies if you have put them somewhere else!) - obviously you have him at 21 at the moment - where do you see him / what role do you see him playing at AFL level? What were his key strengths (is he likely to retain them post knee op)? In your opinion is he more likely to rise or fall further as we get closer to the draft?

I personally thought Kaine Baldwin was a touch overrated coming into the season, I think a few had him in the top 10 mix. I thought he was more in the 15-25 range myself, and I don't think that's really changed too much at the moment. He's a bit of a mystery given he'll have missed two years of football, but he'll also probably benefit from the Victorians being unable to play - his work at the U16's will be rewatched, and his future scope will be projected like everyone else who has missed this season.

His key strengths were, well, his strength. Strong on the lead, good contested mark. So I don't anticipate any of that will change. He was also an above average athlete for his size and position. Will the two knee injuries affect that? Potentially.

He's a #2 tall forward for me. Something between a Jack Darling and Oscar Allen. I really don't know where he'll be picked given his injuries. I think he'll still be drafted, but that's all I'll commit to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henry has made it look like he’s marking against children at times since he’s come back

would be very keen to see him up against some premier defenders cause it looks too easy for him right now and it’s hard to judge.

would be good to see him against wa dgb and Chapman or Vic’s Reid or Cox.

Henry has made it look like he’s marking against children at times since he’s come back

would be very keen to see him up against some premier defenders cause it looks too easy for him right now and it’s hard to judge.

would be good to see him against wa dgb and Chapman or Vic’s Reid or Cox.

more forward than ruck ?

more forward than ruck ?

since he’s come back (I don’t know what his injury was someone else might) he’s been playing forward while Phillips is the main ruck. He’s probably doing some ruck but I haven’t really seen it.

Suspect his fitness base is the issue and we won’t see him in the ruck for a fair while.

Chris25 ... SA rucks. Henry Smith ... would you expect him to be drafted? what sort of player is he?

As philthy said, he's been playing more forward at the moment. Part of the reason is that Smith is a better forward than Zac Phillips, and that's the problem with having the two best ruck prospects in SA playing for the same side. A 200cm kid who can mark over his head will always look good in the U18s, but the rest of his game is developing quite nicely.

He probably won't be drafted, maybe he could be a late round or rookie chance - a team may like his forward/ruck work as a Billy Frampton type player. But few rucks tend to be taken now - Walsh, Heath, Lane and Neale are probably ahead of him. One to watch in a couple of years though.

I might look to update my board in the next couple of days, but I'm not overly excited about this draft. It could be that this whole football season isn't really the same, and obviously only half the players are actually playing at the moment - so we're not getting the bolters or the excitement over the top prospects. But the top talent isn't at the same level as previous drafts.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is an obvious talent and at absolute worse will be a very good #2 forward, but I'd still be taking 18 year old Jack Lukosius ahead of him. Elijah Hollands is coming off a knee injury and may never develop into a true AFL midfielder. Will Phillips is in the top 3 mix, but I imagine most clubs would have had a higher grade on Caleb Serong who went at 8 last year. Riley Thilthorpe is promising, but I think will come along slower than the King brothers.

Everyone knows I love an SA player, but would Lachlan Jones or Caleb Poulter be considered possible first round picks in the last couple of years? Poulter has started the season well, but I don't think he has the same ceiling as a midfielder as Will Day or as a forward as Mitch Georgiades - both who were considered 'bolters' by many last year.

But it's tough without seeing which of the Victorians improve with another year under their belts.

It's not all bad though. From those who are playing, I really like Tom Powell. I think he's every bit as good as, if not better than, Deven Robertson and Harry Schoenberg from last year. Brandon Walker is really putting his name up to be the first Academy player taken outside of the top 10, with his foot skills certain to have him high up on the lists. And I'm really firming on Jack Carroll as a top 20 talent, one of the best kicks in the draft pool and has midfield potential.

It kind of does read that the top 5 of this draft isn’t as strong as top 5 in some years but the 5-15 is as strong, at least to my eyes

I think this is a pretty decent draft for key defenders. I don’t know if they all make it buts there’s a bit of choice.

I have questions over what poulter is positionally. If he grew a few centimetres he would make a pretty good defender I reckon but wouldn’t expect that to happen.

As philthy said, he's been playing more forward at the moment. Part of the reason is that Smith is a better forward than Zac Phillips, and that's the problem with having the two best ruck prospects in SA playing for the same side. A 200cm kid who can mark over his head will always look good in the U18s, but the rest of his game is developing quite nicely.

He probably won't be drafted, maybe he could be a late round or rookie chance - a team may like his forward/ruck work as a Billy Frampton type player. But few rucks tend to be taken now - Walsh, Heath, Lane and Neale are probably ahead of him. One to watch in a couple of years though.
Know much about West Perth's Michael Mallard?
Putting together a pretty decent body of work this season in the WA colts competition, looks to have come on nicely looking at his raw stats?

A real smokey is Cook for South Adelaide. He was sensational in the first half last week with a multitude of big marks. He looked great above his head, quick and balanced. I know clubs definitely noticed but very much a wait and see if there are repeat performances for mine.

Hes has those repeat performances well and truly now.

is he a medium forward or midfielder at afl level? I haven’t seen enough of him as a mid or know his testing (or seen enough of him to gauge his athleticism by eye)

Hes has those repeat performances well and truly now.

is he a medium forward or midfielder at afl level? I haven’t seen enough of him as a mid or know his testing (or seen enough of him to gauge his athleticism by eye)

No question he can be both. Played FF yesterday and looked very comfortable with 4. Have seen him look very at home on the wing and so no doubt he can play as an outside mid. Haven't seen much of him playing inside the contest so don't have a take on that. Has really nice balance and kicks it well after long runs. Definitely has some quality AFL attributes.

No question he can be both. Played FF yesterday and looked very comfortable with 4. Have seen him look very at home on the wing and so no doubt he can play as an outside mid. Haven't seen much of him playing inside the contest so don't have a take on that. Has really nice balance and kicks it well after long runs. Definitely has some quality AFL attributes.

I think I recall seeing a couple of things that tell me he looks okay around congestion at getting handballs away and keeping arms free. But haven’t watched a tonne of the lad so wasn’t sure about his best position or possible positions at next level.

if we do get a champs he’s a Monty to get picked I reckon. The side has plenty of inside and general mids and few outside mids imo. He would offer a difference to the midfield that it needs.

I think I recall seeing a couple of things that tell me he looks okay around congestion at getting handballs away and keeping arms free. But haven’t watched a tonne of the lad so wasn’t sure about his best position or possible positions at next level.

if we do get a champs he’s a Monty to get picked I reckon. The side has plenty of inside and general mids and few outside mids imo. He would offer a difference to the midfield that it needs.

Yeah I think you are right. He has rocketed into contention amongst recruiters. In fact one of them suggested he was pretty much a certainty if he continues to play like he has the last month. Not planning for a champs at this stage is what i hear. Likely to be WA's and SA' best 50 or so players playing in a local game against the best kids from their state and Vic metro and Vic Country playing some sort of game if they even can at some stage this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back