Draft Watcher 2020 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Okay, so not entirely SA stuff...but my last update before the draft.

Big Board - November 28

1. Elijah Hollands (189cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
2. Denver Grainger-Barras (194cm, 78kg from WA)
3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (195cm, 90kg from Vic Country)
4. Logan McDonald (196cm, 86kg from WA)
5. Riley Thilthorpe (201cm, 100kg from SA)
6. Braeden Campbell (181cm, 75kg from Sydney)
7. Archie Perkins (188cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
8. Will Phillips (180cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Brayden Cook (189cm, 82kg from SA)
10. Oliver Henry (188cm, 77kg from Vic Country)

11. Lachlan Jones (186cm, 89kg from SA)
12. Heath Chapman (193cm, 81kg from WA)
13. Tom Powell (183cm, 74kg from SA)
14. Zach Reid (202cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
15. Tanner Bruhn (183cm, 74kg from Vic Country)
16. Bailey Laurie (179cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
17. Jack Carroll (187cm, 76kg from WA)
18. Caleb Poulter (192cm, 79kg from SA)
19. Finlay Macrae (186cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
20. Brandon Walker (183cm, 75kg from WA)

21. Shannon Neale (202cm, 91kg from WA)
22. Zavier Maher (185cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
23. Blake Coleman (180cm, 79kg from Brisbane)
24. Nikolas Cox (200cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
25. Luke Pedlar (183cm, 80kg from SA)
26. Eddie Ford (189cm, 83kg from Vic Metro)
27. Reef McInness (193cm, 86kg from Vic Country)
28. Conor Stone (189cm, 83kg from Vic Metro)
29. Nathan O'Driscoll (187cm, 78kg from WA)
30. Corey Durdin (173cm, 73kg from SA)

31. Fraser Rosman (194cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)
32. Errol Gulden (175cm, 75kg from Sydney)
33. Jake Bowey (175cm, 67kg from Vic Metro)
34. Kaine Baldwin (193cm, 90kg from SA)
35. Phoenix Spicer (173cm, 64kg from SA)
36. Connor Downie (185cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
37. Joel Western (172cm, 68kg from WA)
38. Matthew Allison (194cm, 81kg from Vic Metro)
39. Ryan Angwin (184cm, 72kg from Vic Country)
40. Brodie Lake (185cm, 79kg from NT)

41. Isiah Winder (180cm, 79kg from WA)
42. Kalin Lane (204cm, 95kg from WA)
43. Seamus Mitchell (181cm, 74kg from Vic Country)
44. Malachy Carruthers (185cm, 72kg from SA)
45. Zane Trew (188cm, 80kg from WA)
46. James Borlase (192cm, 93kg from SA)
47. Patrick Walker (187cm, 76kg from Tasmania)
48. Jack Ginnivan (183cm, 77kg from Vic Country)
49. Liam Kolar (195cm, 81kg from Vic Metro)
50. Callum Park (190cm, 74kg from SA)

51. Jackson Callow (194cm, 100kg from Tasmania)
52. Zac Dumesny (186cm, 80kg from SA)
53. Liam McMahon (196cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)
54. Cody Brand (196cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
55. Sam Berry (181cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
56. Max Heath (203cm, 94kg from Vic Metro)
57. James Rowe (173cm, 73kg from SA)
58. Beau McCreery (186cm, 80kg from SA)
59. Jacob Wehr (184cm, 71kg from SA)
60. Lachlan Carrigan (191cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)

Decent doesnt win flags.
Tell me on who on our list looks like a A grader?
Dangerfield, Cameron, Lever (will be)....

Oh hang on they don't play for us anymore.... Is that a draft issue or a player retention issue?

Still on the list we've got a bunch of former A graders who are now past their prime. Is that a drafting issue or a list management issue? We have a huge hole in our list.

There's really only 1 draft year failure to point the finger at (at this stage) where we didn't manage to strike a decent player with picks 15, 44, 51, 62 and 75.

There are so many variables to success and we have sucked at a lot of them. It doesn't mean you can't critically analyse each variable instead of saying 'we haven't won a flag therefore drafting and player development sucks'.

Dangerfield, Cameron, Lever (will be)....

Oh hang on they don't play for us anymore.... Is that a draft issue or a player retention issue?

Still on the list we've got a bunch of former A graders who are now past their prime. Is that a drafting issue or a list management issue? We have a huge hole in our list.

There's really only 1 draft year failure to point the finger at (at this stage) where we didn't manage to strike a decent player with picks 15, 44, 51, 62 and 75.

There are so many variables to success and we have sucked at a lot of them. It doesn't mean you can't critically analyse each variable instead of saying 'we haven't won a flag therefore drafting and player development sucks'.
You didn't name one young kid on our list who is going to be an A grader.
We have drafted a few kids. So which ones?

Time for some more teams. The changing ladder might mess a few things up, but it's more just about the names as opposed to who gets who and my basic list management thoughts...

Essendon
Seems to me like another tall forward or two could be handy (depending on Daniher), but after going tall last year I would think their first is more likely to go towards a midfielder - and they should have their pick of most in that second tier group. I will say I like their young ruck stocks, I wanted Fremantle to pick up both Draper and Crauford.

First pick - Tanner Bruhn
Ideally, they'd probably prefer a bigger midfielder and Fremantle's point deficit may give them a shot at O'Driscoll. But for the sake of this, Bruhn is best available. A classy and balanced mid, should develop into an inside midfielder in the long run. But Essendon do like half backs, and luckily for them Bruhn would look pretty nice back there too.

Mid draft - Cody Brand
Based on the picks Essendon have at the moment, their second pick will almost certainly be used to match a bid on the key defender Brand. Maybe they'll try to get themselves another pick in the early 20's first, but he does look a likely type and there won't be any questions about matching.

South Australian - Riley Holder
The 190cm forward is that inbetween height for AFL level, and a few of his type have gone undrafted in the past. But he's a strong mark and more importantly has the ability to work up the field, so he could be worth a look as that third tall CHF type. He's had some big games in the U18s this year for Glenelg.

GWS
The Giants look to be in such a strange position as a club. Their core group are as good as any and keep getting better, but they keep being big players at the draft - effectively just replacing each years draftees with the next. They aren't getting any more experienced. And now there are reports of the salary cap closing in on them, potentially losing players from that valuable second and third tier.

First pick - Caleb Poulter
Right now, their first pick is mid second round - although I expect some trades may get them higher. So wherever they pick, Poulter could be around that mark. He's a good size at 190cm and offers some versatility as a marking half forward, a long term project midfielder or even a move to half back.

Mid draft - Isiah Winder
For any club really, I think Winder will be a good pick up in the middle rounds. Another versatile type, potentially will be more of a small forward at the top level but he's winning his own ball with ease in the midfield in the WAFL Colts. He'd definitely add some life to the GWS forward half and would be a welcome addition pushing up through the wings.

South Australian - Jamison Murphy
Murphy is one of my favourites from SA this year. He might not be the most talented, but I'd back him ahead of others to be a good player in the long run. He's a 180cm midfielder/half back, not too unlike Heath Shaw - a good kick, but smart and knows what he can and can't do. No doubt would have been part of the SA leadership group, those qualities might go alright at the Giants.

Carlton
Outside of Sam Walsh, it's fairly safe to say Carlton haven't got much out of the draft over the last 3 years - although Kemp will essentially have his rookie year next season. I would think some x factor and run wouldn't go astray.

First pick - Archie Perkins
I'm not sure whether good drafting or luck is going to be the biggest thing with the Victorians this year, I'm thinking there will be some bargain picks and some bigger busts than normal too. For me, Perkins fits into the first category. As an eye catching half forward, he's deserving of being a first round pick. But if he actually got to play in the middle this year, he could have been pushing top 5.

Mid draft - Seamus Mitchell
I think Mitchell could be another bargain buy for clubs come draft day, he doesn't seem to get mentioned too much around here. Personally, I prefer him to his Bendigo teammate Jack Ginnivan. He's a 180cm forward with real speed, and in the middle of the draft it's about finding those with AFL level attributes. Feel like he could push up onto a wing too.

South Australian - Zac Phillips
Another ruck prospect may be on the cards for Carlton, add someone in behind Pittonet and DeKoning - while there are some from Vic and WA, I needed a South Australian here. Phillips ticks the boxes with his mobility, willingness to work around the ground and his tapwork. I think he has much upside as some of his peers, still a bit raw and inconsistent he might be a name we hear more in a couple of years.

Melbourne

It's good to see Petracca really start to live up to his draft pick, but at what point is Goodwin's job under threat? Such an underperforming team, I'm not sure they can wait too much longer. Key to their draft is likely whether Jackson is their long term KPF answer, if he is then I'd like to see some more runners and good ball users to get it to him.

First pick - Jack Carroll
One of my personal favourites in the draft, I think Carroll could push late into the first round but if not he might be around the mark for Melbourne at their first. Good versatile outside player, whether it's off half back or up on a wing as I prefer. I haven't watched a lot of Melbourne this year so I don't know if Langdon has somehow become a better kick, but Carroll on the opposite wing would be a good mix.

Mid draft - Patrick Walker
I'd still say Walker is my favourite Tasmanian prospect this year. I think Callow is a safer long term bet, but Walker has enough to his game that he could be a handy player. He's a good size at 186cm, plays more of an outside/flanker role - I think he can play in all 3 areas of the ground. Kicking and decision making is his strength, while composure and time with the ball in hand are two things I look for and Walker has them both.

South Australian - Bailey Chamberlain
I think Chamberlain will come into the mix around pick 50, so could be an option for a couple of Melbourne's later picks. He's a big time ball winner in the midfield, pushes back into defence and leads his team well. He has enough speed to win the ball and take it out of the stoppages, but he's playing in a poor team and so isn't having a huge impact with his touches - not being able to play in a better SA team at the Champs may hurt him.

WOuld like our first pick to be Cox or Reid if they're available, I hadn't considered Poulter but it actually makes sense and would be a good fit, with us needing some more XFactor forward and a non-KPF to be a serious threat outside of Greene. Finlay and Hilder are two I'd like us to look at as well late draft. WHat are your thoughts on Jye Sinderberry and where he ends up getting drafted in terms of range? He's one I think could be good for us as well

Do you think Connor Rozee is going to be an A grader? What about Butters? Or Rankine? Or Smith? Or Rowell?
Now, How do you think FOG, Gooch, Jones etc compare?
Apart from Butters, these are top 5 draft picks who we never had access to on draft day. Maybe we should have?

I've already said Gooch is very likely a miss at pick 15. Jones way too early. Fog is a (20yo) talented forward in one of the worst teams in history. Should we have written off Petracca?

This is my last post as we're clearly not getting anywhere.

Apart from Butters, these are top 5 draft picks who we never had access to on draft day. Maybe we should have?

I've already said Gooch is very likely a miss at pick 15. Jones way too early. Fog is a (20yo) talented forward in one of the worst teams in history. Should we have written off Petracca?

This is my last post as we're clearly not getting anywhere.
Indeed we arnt.
With all the first round picks we have had of late, you cant name one young player who you think is going to be an A grader in your eyes.
Thats damming.

Indeed we arnt.
With all the first round picks we have had of late, you cant name one young player who you think is going to be an A grader in your eyes.
Thats damming.

Will Hamill, but he wasn't a first round pick

I like McAsey but in saying that I was worried when everyone linked him to us as he wasn't the type of player I wanted at the hawks, was stoked when you guys got him and we got Day.

But like many have said Darcy Fogarty is OK, im sure there were better options, Jones was a reach in a super draft where he was barely in my top 20 imo let alone 9th? and then McAsey I had at the back end of the top 15 and he went 6th?, I think Fogarty if given a real shot might be OK, but not a star, Jones is looking average from the limited vision I've seen and McAsey is in his first year, he will come good for you, maybe starting next year? Just my opinion as a neutral.

Last edited:

I like McAsey but in saying that I was worried when everyone linked him to us as he wasn't the type of player I wanted at the hawks, was stoked when you guys got him and we got Day.

But like many have said Darcy Fogarty is OK, im sure there were better options, Jones was a reach in a super draft where he was barely in my top 20 imo let alone 9th? and then McAsey I had at the back end of the top 15 and he went 6th?, I think Fogarty if given a real shot might be OK, but not a star, Jones is looking average from the limited vision I've seen and McAsey is in his first year, he will come good for you, maybe starting next year? Just my opinion as a neutral.
When Fog came into the club he had great leading patterns and his leads were honoured.
Now its totally the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also thought McAsey went too high. I heard from a few people in the industry that they thought Worrell had more talent than McAsey, but McAsey has more application and drive, so he has a higher chance of making it at afl level.

All McAsey has shown so far is that he's not even close to being ready for Afl. Slow physically and mentally and not strong enough. Not great signs so far. Has looked a completely different player up forward though.

Surely if its too early to call a pick a bust the same applies in reverse and its too early to make the claim that all 4 players in your post above will be "excellent"?
I said he'd done an excellent job - I was saying that based on his work with the Crows since 2006.

Interested to see your evidence to suggest McHenry will be excellent. I genuinely don't see it at all.
Well, he's played 8 games, so it's probably early to go in any direction. But I liked his work in junior footy and the SANFL and have been impressed with his defensive pressure.

A long way to go, but he's done about what anyone could hope so far so I've not lost any faith.

I updated my rankings for September last week, in the first post of this thread.

Nothing really changed in the top 20, which is to be expected since half of them aren't even playing. I really just extended it out to a top 50, and filled out the last few spots with South Australians.

I've got some time off work, so what else is there to do than draft stuff? Thought for something different I'll go through each team and name three players - their first pick, a mid round pick and of course a South Australian. I definitely don't claim to be an expert on each team's list and maybe I'm a bit critical of some of the bottom teams, but oh well...

Adelaide

North Melbourne

Sydney

Hawthorn

Gold Coast

Fremantle

Putting swans hat on, interesting didn't put Henry Smith as our SA/later pick up

I updated my rankings for September last week, in the first post of this thread.

Nothing really changed in the top 20, which is to be expected since half of them aren't even playing. I really just extended it out to a top 50, and filled out the last few spots with South Australians.
:thumbsu:

Sneaking Callum Park in @ #50.

Thought he was a tad unlucky not to get picked up in 2019 but he's certainly come on this season in the SANFL so it would be no surprise to see a club give him a shot with a later pick this time.

Putting swans hat on, interesting didn't put Henry Smith as our SA/later pick up

Henry Smith is one player I considered for a few, he's noted down to be written about for someone. If you're drafting just on size and potential, he'll be taken.

:thumbsu:

Sneaking Callum Park in @ #50.

Thought he was a tad unlucky not to get picked up in 2019 but he's certainly come on this season in the SANFL so it would be no surprise to see a club give him a shot with a later pick this time.

Yeah I liked Park as a potential late pick last year, think he's gotten better this year. His last few weeks for Glenelg have been particularly good in more of a defensive role. With his height and foot skills, he ticks enough boxes to get a look in at the top level as a wing/half back.

Chris25,
What do you think about Tom Highmore from Sth Adelaide?
Is he a chance to go in the draft this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back