• Nathan O'Driscoll

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Zane Trew

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The deficit is taken from the round it is generated by, if Henry was bid on with the first pick of the second round and for some reason we had a 500 point deficit it would have come off our 2nd pick this year leaving our first intact. But I believe the points left over are for anywhere.
It'd be completely stupid if its only first round, it's stupid enough that we would lose pick 1 despite the points being closer to 1 then 2 after deductions. Hopefully it can applied to the bid on Walker in the 2nd round this year

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Got to feel bad the draft watchers though, there is nothing for them to watch...

WA is also notoriously hard for these guys to get footage of in the best of tiems. EDPS and Chris are the best ones to rely on for WA talent since they pay the most attention to our guys IMO

I personally have Brandon Walker in the 25-30 range at the moment. No doubting he's talented, but there are a fair few medium sized defenders in this draft. So competition is hot. There are also a few other NGA/FS players in that grouping with differing strengths - Lachlan Jones (strength, 3rd tall), Cody Raak (height, potential), Luke Edwards (midfield ability). All 3 of them are potentially ahead of Walker at the moment, especially if he continues to average around the 15 disposals. Just depends what each club rates the highest.

The whole no football thing will be interesting. Like an injured player, the Victorians can't disappoint this year. So the WA and SA kids don't necessarily have an advantage. Someone like Taj Schofield is a great prospect on paper, but has had inconsistent play so far for Woodville. So if he doesn't star, recruiters may value the potential of a non playing Victorian more. Just something to make it even harder for us amateurs who know nothing.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Put a line through Baldwin and Elijah Holland’s and probably Tanner Bruhn too.
That’s all we need at freo - more high draft picks with reconstructed knees before the age of 19.
They would fit in very well with Weber and co.
TBA 😡

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
That’s all we need at freo - more high draft picks with reconstructed knees before the age of 19.
TBA 😡

I'd be looking at our very own DGB. Rebounding tall half back.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
TBA 😡

You make it sound like we have done this before uit when exactly was the last time we drafted a player who had done an ACL with a high pick?

Hollands is definitely one of the best players in the draft. An ACL can be an issue, but we should judge it on it's merits and informatio at the time and not immediately rule out.

Also worth noting that D-B and Trew have had shoulder surgery so I presume by that approach we should rule them out too?

You make it sound like we have done this before uit when exactly was the last time we drafted a player who had done an ACL with a high pick?

Hollands is definitely one of the best players in the draft. An ACL can be an issue, but we should judge it on it's merits and informatio at the time and not immediately rule out.

Also worth noting that D-B and Trew have had shoulder surgery so I presume by that approach we should rule them out too?
The last one I believe was Michael Apeness, pick #17 2013

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yes I accept that shoulder injuries aren’t ideal but they are not as career threatening or Potentially debilitating as knee reconstructions.

Knee reconstructions are big red flags for me. There’s no guarantee that those players will reach the level they were at before the knee injury. They often lose pace or agility. There’s a much greater chance of reoccurrence of a knee injury. We don’t need extra risk at Fremantle. We have enough injury prone players on our list. Some guys are more durable than others. Players like Ethan Hughes and Darcy Tucker seem to have bodies that are better able to stand up to the rigours of AFL footy than the likes of Alex Pearce and Jon Patton for example. It’s pretty impossible to measure long term durability of a player at the draft, but it does appear that serious knee injuries as an 18 y/o is often a sign of a player who is likely to be less durable. On top of that add our incompetent S&C department and the risk is just too great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firesharter

Debutant
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Apeness actually had lots of shoulder trouble, didn't he?

I had to search for his name because I’d forgotten but he was just chronically injured. Didn’t remember that he retired at 23. From our experience, for every Selwood there are ten Apenesses and we have s**t luck with drafting players with pre-existing injury histories.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I had to search for his name because I’d forgotten but he was just chronically injured. Didn’t remember that he retired at 23. From our experience, for every Selwood there are ten Apenesses and we have sh*t luck with drafting players with pre-existing injury histories.
Stuff this attitude. We have 0 premierships. Since inception only 2 non expansion clubs have not won a flag and only one of those has played in just 1 grand final like us. We should certainly be taking calculated risks: Whats the worst thing that can happen ffs? We remain underachievers? News flash that's happening already.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The last one I believe was Michael Apeness, pick #17 2013
Is 17 a high pick? I think in that range you can take a bit more of a gamble. Skinny flankers, injured but highly touted youngsters, extremely talented but somewhat questionable work ethic etc.

For example in our most recent 2019 ND Brodie Kemp who was coming off a knee reco went at you guessed it “Pick 17”.

I see a high pick as top 10. I wouldn’t be risking any of the above in the 6-10 range.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If our pick is more like 6+ and Hollands was there I am totally ok with it. Bit scared of doing it with 2-5.

In a lot of drafts there isn’t much difference between these players at those selections. Hollands otherwise sounds like like the sort of player we need imo.

We should be backing our medical team to fix an ACL if they are the best available player.

I know backing our medical team seems ludicrous but we should be able to.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
In a lot of drafts there isn’t much difference between these players at those selections. Hollands otherwise sounds like like the sort of player we need imo.

We should be backing our medical team to fix an ACL if they are the best available player.

I know backing our medical team seems ludicrous but we should be able to.
Yeah the hard part is he is not going to play so you don't know if he would have come on this year. Then again, that will probably be the case for most Vic players.

We seem to have most of our cake now, we need difference makers.

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really doubt whether we will get too 5 or 10 pick this year as we won't finish below 12 on ladder especially having a run at home games... that is pick somewhere 8 to 10..Which will be slided to 13 beyond. As we won't see much of players this year, I would like we go for natural gas talent ..how about.. jack ginnivan and Archie Perkins? Chris 25 can you please tell your opinion?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry typing error ..please read as natural raw talent
I really doubt whether we will get too 5 or 10 pick this year as we won't finish below 12 on ladder especially having a run at home games... that is pick somewhere 8 to 10..Which will be slided to 13 beyond. As we won't see much of players this year, I would like we go for natural gas talent ..how about.. jack ginnivan and Archie Perkins? Chris 25 can you please tell your opinion?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think you overrate our ability to keep players on the park. We lose too many more and we'll cross the threshold where you start getting belted.

That said, I think the first round is pretty good so no doubt we will find something wherever it falls. The lack of underage footy also means that the best talents might not make top 10 this year.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
hopefully Geelong have a very early pick, that is not tied to their ladder position - if you get my meaning :cool:

Back