• Nathan O'Driscoll

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Zane Trew

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In American Football their is a lot of lopsided contests in college.

New England Patrols heavy weight the level of comp.

They see lower levels of comp not as true indication of talent.

New England have four years of judging a player but I think the concept is the same.

I believe that watching PSA can give recruiters a misunderstanding of talent.

You dont have any confidence in the recruiters.

Young and Ryan are damn good intercept defenders and I'm not sure how many you need. The defender I think we are most in need of is a taller type who can handle the likes of Dixon or the Kings. But I am a fan of DGB.

What KPDs do you like around our 2nd pick?
Heath Chapman is one but is again more of an interceptor rather than lock down type. Maybe a bid on Cody Brand as he is a very good stopper and not a bad athlete either. The likes of Zach Reid and Nik Cox will go earlier I reckon, Cam Fleeton a bit undersized but did take Callow to the cleaners in a game last year.

Heath Chapman is one but is again more of an interceptor rather than lock down type. Maybe a bid on Cody Brand as he is a very good stopper and not a bad athlete either. The likes of Zach Reid and Nik Cox will go earlier I reckon, Cam Fleeton a bit undersized but did take Callow to the cleaners in a game last year.
We are all overreacting a bit atm because our three best KPDs are all out for the season - two since the start of the year. Alex Pearce was knocking on the door of AA last year at CHB before injury. Joel Hamling is a premiership winning Full Back. And Griffin Logue was one of our best players in the early games this season (having a break out year before injury). Brennan Cox has been shifted to defence (not foreign to him as he was u18 AA CHB in his draft year) but he's still finding his feet alongside his best mate Luke Ryan (who is playing as an undersized KPD and deserves to be in AA thoughts - likely leading our Doig medal).

I'd love if we drafted DGB but if we were looking later in the draft for a KPD I think we'd want them to have a higher potential ceiling than those already on our list (eg Cox) and I'd be doubtful on a lot of them. We might also look at a stop gap on the rookie list (we were looking at Chad Pearson last year for the MYD apparently) but really we just need to not have 3 first choice KPDs all on our injury list.

I have been following the debate on Knightmares thread re his thoughts about English and that he thinks he should play wing, and that generally height is valuable in the wing position. I look at both DGB and Nik Cox with their skinny builds and their respective skill sets and wonder if they could debut in that kind of role.

I have been following the debate on Knightmares thread re his thoughts about English and that he thinks he should play wing, and that generally height is valuable in the wing position. I look at both DGB and Nik Cox with their skinny builds and their respective skill sets and wonder if they could debut in that kind of role.
Cox is a genuine utility and can play just about anywhere, played a lot on the wing actually. DGB could potentially play that role pretty well just sucks we won’t be able to see unless the club that drafts him tries him in the role.

English on the wing is absurd imo a complete waste, if he isn’t ruck I think he would make a good defender in the Darcy Moore mould. In his draft year he showed a good ability to read the play down back and his kicking is elite not just for a big man.

Cox is a genuine utility and can play just about anywhere, played a lot on the wing actually. DGB could potentially play that role pretty well just sucks we won’t be able to see unless the club that drafts him tries him in the role.

English on the wing is absurd imo a complete waste, if he isn’t ruck I think he would make a good defender in the Darcy Moore mould. In his draft year he showed a good ability to read the play down back and his kicking is elite not just for a big man.
Yeah English on a wing is pretty crazy. But I do like a tall wing. Had thought Duman may move there.

We are coming off the Sandilands era of ruck dominance and engineering a midfield that doesn't require or expect that kind of service. The ruck as extra midfielder can work well.

Yeah English on a wing is pretty crazy. But I do like a tall wing. Had thought Duman may move there.

We are coming off the Sandilands era of ruck dominance and engineering a midfield that doesn't require or expect that kind of service. The ruck as extra midfielder can work well.
Caleb Poulter has the tools as a tall wingman for your 2nd round pick, great skills and decent overhead with a knack for goals

Yep the game is certainly moving towards that style which isn’t great for the likes of Darcy.

We have all seen major mistakes by all clubs.

In the NFL, New England Patriots are way ahead of the pack in drafting.

It’s just mad not to study what they do.

They don’t watch lower level games.

WHAT?!? They are not, what they are ahead of the pack in is coaching, maximizing talent and turning cheap scrap heap players into competent role players.

Like every team there is outliers that look like great picks, such as:
Joe Thuney - 3rd round
Trey Flowers - 4th round
Shaq Mason - 4th round
Jimmy G - 2nd round
James White - 4th round

But their recent history certainly doesn't suggest they are amazing drafters. Their last two drafts where they have had a lot of picks to this point has basically yielded nothing, including 3 x 1st rounders that look below average.

We have all seen major mistakes by all clubs.

In the NFL, New England Patriots are way ahead of the pack in drafting.

It’s just mad not to study what they do.

They don’t watch lower level games.

Drafting in American sports doesn't really have any relevancy when it comes to AFL, the college system is just so different. But I couldn't just ignore this...

New England have been downright bad at drafting for a long time. They basically find a decent role player or two in the middle rounds which keeps the media happy, and then nothing else. Their early round drafting has been almost miss after miss for years. They're one of only two teams who haven't drafted and developed a Pro Bowler in the last 7 years. There's a reason they keep trading in skill guys, and it's because they've shown a complete inability to scout wide receivers and to a lesser extent defensive backs.

And they also drafted a Division 2 safety with their first pick this year.

New England is the last team I'd be looking at for drafting help.

There's been talk about playing tall guys on the wing for years, but when has it really ever happened?

When Alex Pearce was drafted, there was talk of him playing on a wing because he did it a couple of times for Tasmania. Charlie Ballard was drafted as a 195cm wing, and was quickly moved to a key defensive position with the Gold Coast. I'm sure I'm missing someone, but Adam Tomlinson is the one of the few genuine wings with height and that's because he wasn't good enough to play as a KPP.

Nik Cox will be a KPP and I have him ranked lower because of it. DGB will be a defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Brady at Quarterback and Bill Belichick as head coach will cover most deficiencies in any NFL team.

TB at pick 199 would be the best pick of all time and has not only been the best QB of all time but he has also covered for plenty of foot soldiers playing in his team.

Without TB and BB the Patriots would be bog standard.

Tom Brady at Quarterback and Bill Belichick as head coach will cover most deficiencies in any NFL team.

TB at pick 199 would be the best pick of all time and has not only been the best QB of all time but he has also covered for plenty of foot soldiers playing in his team.

Without TB and BB the Patriots would be bog standard.

Adrian Klemm
OT

J.R. Redmond
RB

Greg Randall
OT

Dave Stachelski
TE

Jeff Marriott
DT

Antwan Harris
DB

The list of guys drafted by New England ahead of Tom Brady in the 2000 draft. They didn't draft well, they got lucky.

Drafting in American sports doesn't really have any relevancy when it comes to AFL, the college system is just so different. But I couldn't just ignore this...

New England have been downright bad at drafting for a long time. They basically find a decent role player or two in the middle rounds which keeps the media happy, and then nothing else. Their early round drafting has been almost miss after miss for years. They're one of only two teams who haven't drafted and developed a Pro Bowler in the last 7 years. There's a reason they keep trading in skill guys, and it's because they've shown a complete inability to scout wide receivers and to a lesser extent defensive backs.

And they also drafted a Division 2 safety with their first pick this year.

New England is the last team I'd be looking at for drafting help.
Agree on most - chandler jones went and goes ok though. Disappointed he left in free agency but you can’t pay everyone.

WasnT Sturt BOG in the TAC cup final? Apparently he gave Quaynor a big touch up in that game and that’s what got him into the first round.
From memory we recruited Sturt based off a handful of school and colts games.

From memory we recruited Sturt based off a handful of school and colts games.
Duuxsma had runs on the board vs good comp.

Sturt starred in the final of the NAB league and destroyed a good opponent.

A kid who destroyed another kid who have no hope of making isn’t a good guide talent.

It’s the level of comp that is important.

Last edited:
I had a bit of a look at our NGAs this year Western and Walker.
How likely are we to draft them is it a given?

I had a bit of a look at our NGAs this year Western and Walker.
How likely are we to draft them is it a given?
I think due to the circumstances of this years draft we will definitely be drafting them. Added to the fact that they both seem to fill a need of pace and skill to our list as well.

Back