NFL 2021 — NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sports Illustrated's John Shipley notes the Jaguars have not been awarded a compensatory pick for the 11th consecutive season.
Just wild. Compensatory picks are awarded to teams from a private formula based on free agency gains and losses (and now coaching hires). It's a decent barometer of which teams have been savvy and which teams haven't as the process isn't the easiest to crack. Jacksonville not picking a single one up in over a decade is embarrassing, but there are reasons for hope with Urban Meyer, Trevor Lawrence, and a bunch of capital coming to town.
SOURCE: John Shipley on Twitter
Mar 10, 2021, 4:24 PM ET

He is Jeremy Chinn, we've seen it, it works someone draft him in the 1st round.

Could be even better Imo. Sick highlight reel. Very Lavonte Davidish

Last edited:

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
After watching the DE,DL,EDGE's etc the last few days this is not a great class. Plenty of good players or project players but none that tick all the boxes.
From the guys I watched they all had issues which made them hard to select early.

Jaelan Phillips - #1 HS recruit in 2017. Knows what he's doing, has enough moves to win multiple ways, athletic and good size, ready to impact straight away.
BUT- Has one of the worst injury histories and won't be on some teams boards because of it. Medically retired due to concussion issues before transferring to Miami this offseason and playing the season. before that had ankle surgery and surgery on both wrists.

Kwity Paye- Freak athlete, very strong hands and good technique, lined up everywhere on the line, good against the run
BUT- Only 10.5 sacks in ALOT of playing time over his career at Michigan, is pretty stiff won't see him bending around the corner to get back to the QB.

Gregory Rousseau- Really quick first step, Great athletic profile, Production in his 1 year was huge, can't run past him on the edge, plenty of growth as he's only started playing DE (was safety and wr in HS), moved all over the front.
BUT- Lack of experience, Basically only won with an outside step doesn't really have another move.

Carlos Basham- Strong power game, good 2019 production and tape, great bull rush and has some other moves
BUT- 2020 wasn't very impressive tape, gambles on run plays and doesn't occupy his designation, stiff

Azeez Ojulari- Explosive off the edge, runs right by alot of the tackles he played, good bend, doesnt get pushed off balance when using his speed, doesn't give up on a rush.
BUT- only one move, maybe too small/not strong enough to play on the edge, not great dropping into coverage for a quicker guy

Others
Joe Tryon- Didn't really get the first round hype he looked fine
Ronnie Perkins- Will be great value, strong physical dude, will be productive player in the right scheme
Jayson Oweh- Great athlete but 0 sacks, not even close either
Rashard Weaver- Meh
Odeyingbo- Massive DE, good film but did ACL otherwise would've been way higher
Quincy Roche- Consistently productive! not the best athlete but great technician

The list goes on and on of guys with some really impressive traits and parts of their game but with some glaring issues. Personally I would lean towards taking the punt on Rousseau to develop some moves and learn the position and maybe be a great player in year 3-4. if Phillips didn't have the injuries i'd say he'd be the best ready to go prospect.

Watched some scouting and tape reviews on Trey Lance last night, I'm officially out, too many question marks and his QB skills are so far off NFL level it isn't funny. ...his stats are so misleading (the 42 total tds zero INTs part) he's a one read qb who hasn't shown an ability to go thru progressions, has poor patience in the pocket, relied on scrambling away from inferior div1 defenses to keep the chains moving and offensive scheme / poor opposing defenses allowed his first read to have plenty of separation to make throws as easy as possible ....don't want the Panthers going anywhere near him.

Feel Mac Jones and Fields are far safer / better picks.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watched some scouting and tape reviews on Trey Lance last night, I'm officially out, too many question marks and his QB skills are so far off NFL level it isn't funny. ...his stats are so misleading (the 42 total tds zero INTs part) he's a one read qb who hasn't shown an ability to go thru progressions, has poor patience in the pocket, relied on scrambling away from inferior div1 defenses to keep the chain moving and offensive scheme / poor opposing defenses allowed his first read to have plenty of separation to make throws as easy as possible ....don't want the Panthers going anywhere near him.
Dangerous for a 1st round pick, the floor is too low, risk reward too high on risk, but someone will be desperate in the 1st. Calmer heads prevailing around the league, seeing him go in the mid to late 2nd would not be unexpected either

Trey Lance to Washington is my hot tip for the draft.

The Saints would be the best landing spot for him, Payton could make him work, but he is very raw, needs to redshirt his rookie season.

Dannyreed

All Australian
Aug 2, 2018
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Actually Belichick trading back and back to an early 2nd taking Lance there would be my actual hot tip. Newton and Lance would make sense from a schematic sense
Id be pumped if this happened, would love for Lance to drop but can't see him getting outside the top 10. There is way too much to work with. I know he is a huge risk based on his lack of experience but after his pro day someone (can't remember who) compared him to Josh Allen and I hadn't thought of him like that but it's a good comp traits wise. Top level athlete with a cannon, Lance is 6'4 Allen 6'5, Allen was 230lbs in college Lance 224lbs. Play-style wise I think they are slightly different but both power runners over being elusive and power throwers over timing and anticipation. I just think if you look at Allen's career you can see a path forward with how to use Lance. He might take a while in the passing game (as Allen did) but in the first few years whilst that side of his game develops he can still be a weapon with his athleticism. I don't think his pro-day was perfect but I do think he rose his stocks.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Id be pumped if this happened, would love for Lance to drop but can't see him getting outside the top 10. There is way too much to work with. I know he is a huge risk based on his lack of experience but after his pro day someone (can't remember who) compared him to Josh Allen and I hadn't thought of him like that but it's a good comp traits wise. Top level athlete with a cannon, Lance is 6'4 Allen 6'5, Allen was 230lbs in college Lance 224lbs. Play-style wise I think they are slightly different but both power runners over being elusive and power throwers over timing and anticipation. I just think if you look at Allen's career you can see a path forward with how to use Lance. He might take a while in the passing game (as Allen did) but in the first few years whilst that side of his game develops he can still be a weapon with his athleticism. I don't think his pro-day was perfect but I do think he rose his stocks.
Patriots might decide like you that Lance could go and move up.

1. Jags take Lawrence, 2. Jets take Fields after trading Darnold to the Niners, 3. Bengals trade up via Dolphins and take LT, 4. Falcons take TE, 5. Dolphins take WR, 6. Eagles take WR, 7. Lions take LB,.....Panthers at 8 and Broncos at 9 pose a threat to the Patriots, both would take a QB here.....Jones would go to Broncos probably more their type of QB, Panthers could take Lance.....but if Watson gets traded to either Carolina or Denver, then you'd think Patriots could move up to 10 via Dallas for a QB (Jones would go to one of Panthers or Broncos, leaving Lance for the Pats at 10, if Watson got traded).

Back