NFL 2021 — NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

26 years ago, Raiders picked a player who chose religion over football

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2021, 7:49 PM EDT

In 1987, the Raiders took a seventh-round flier on Bo Jackson. It paid off. Eight years later, the Raiders took a similar chance with a sixth-round pick. It didn’t pan out.

In researching potential selections for Friday’s PFT Live draft regarding the biggest “holy crap” moments in draft history, I stumbled across an item from Jordan Heck of SportingNews.com regarding a selection that was made 26 years ago today.

Former BYU tackle Eli Herring, projected to go no later than round three, told all teams before the draft that he won’t play in the NFL because he doesn’t want to work on Sundays, for religious reasons. The Raiders drafted him anyway. Herring rejected a three-year, $1.5 million deal that was offered to him by Bruce Allen.

“Not that I would not have liked to have been in the NFL, but Sunday is a church day,” Herring said at the time. “One of our guiding principles as Christians is the Ten Commandants and the Lord has told us there and in the scriptures to ‘keep the Sabbath holy.’ The Lord has said that those who do enjoy certain promises, and I just decided that I would be better off in the long run if I obeyed His desires. . . . Though a couple of hundred thousand dollars sure would have been nice.”

While I respect Herring’s position, as someone who works on Sundays throughout the year, I’m concerned. If he’s right, I’m going to hell, just like David Puddy and Elaine.

Then again, I already may be headed there, for plenty of other reasons.

Interesting tales/names mentioned in the comments section.

Remember hearing a bit about Cassell recently but cant remember exactly where. He had only converted to QB in college so that explained why he never really got a go and was behind top 10 pick Matt Leinart

The articles, tweets, videos, analysis charts etc on the top QBs this year are STILL coming thick and fast tho the draft is just days away now. Probably come thicker and faster right up till draft day. I have given up copy-pasting them etc. I have finally been broken by it all.
Hang in there old campaigner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't find it can you link
My complete QB Rankings....the Sleepers and Super Sleepers are especially where my interest lies....

---Franchise QBs---
Justin Fields
Mac Jones
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson

---Potential Franchise QBs---
Trey Lance
Kyle Trask
Kellen Mond

---Sleepers--- (most wont amount to anything but could rise a la Minshew/Romo/Warner)
KJ Costello
Peyton Ramsey
Shane Buechele

---Super Sleepers--- (possess some extraordinary talent or skill or ideal height/arm element, but from small schools etc)
Cole Kelley
Kato Nelson
Armani Rogers
Eric Berriere
Drew Plitt
Colin Hill
Davis Cheek
Ross Bowers
Kevin Thomson
Jack Abraham
Felix Harper

---Probably won't amount to anything but not without talent---