NFL 2021 — NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should've followed Simms for sure on that one. I remember too when I was a Simms hater but now I feel so silly. Specifically I remember following 2013 his list of the top 5 QBs having Peyton 4th and Brady missing. I thought he was so ******ed but over time you grow to realise he was correct. Stats and teammates are irrelevant
Um thats proof already hes often wrong

Some people want it easy, not have to think for themselves, or even question the opinions/analyses of others. Never thought LA would become one of those :(

It's a stunning outcome.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wilson - generational talent, with the likes of Rodgers, Mahomes, Elway, etc.

Lawrence - need to see him develop into an NFL QB as opposed to a college QB. But he has all the tools to do so. Top tier potential if he works out but he's not a ready made prospect like Peyton Manning was

Jones - will be a top 10ish QB in the realm of Brady, Cousins, Ryan, etc. Can perform at an elite level wins and statistics wise if he has the team and coaching around him - likewise with poor talent around him he wont cost you games and will have nice looking statistics to his name

Fields - immense talent but needs the right system around him to succeed. At best MVP calibre, at worst Cam Newton 2020 if he doesnt have the surrounding talent

Lance - great arm strength, but timing and accuracy are suspect. Don't think he will be able to develop into anything worthwhile

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Every year theres only realistically about 5 qbs who end getting drafted high, high enough to get a shot at a career. So naming the top 5 isnt hard. But if youre gonna tout his skill at ranking them, that means the top 5 has to be in order of how good they actually end up.

Jackson struggles at passing, allen turned out a stud, mayfield is better than jackson long term as a qb/passer. Darnold still has a chance to turn it around. Rosen busted. He never even saw that Wolford and Allen ended up better than Rosen.

His top 5 rank is wrong order. So hes wrong. Thats obvious.

Look at this 2021 class ...only about 5-7 who have a real shot at having a career.

So his top 5 again has to be exact to who ends up better among those five.

Anyone can name the top 5 qbs, cos there are only 5-7 every year. Whole point of the ranking is that they end up being ranked how they were ranked

I do admire Simms for shaking s**t up tho and not just going with the mainstream view. Just as a personality, he rubs me like sandpaper. That and his tendency to embellish his past thoughts.

Last edited:
Mainstream view of this class I think is:

Can't miss:

Lawrence
Fields

Like but too many doubts coz not familiar names to American households:

Lance
Wilson

High probability he sucks:

Mac Jones

They all suck:

The rest

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its obvious Wilson has the higher upside, but hes the biggest boom-bust. The draftnik community of analysts named the top qb prospects, whos got a 1st, 2nd etc round grade. Wilson came to the fore and THEN people all over accepted those names would get drafted high and start ranking them. I see it Fields Jones Lawrence Wilson Lance Trask Mond. Many have many different rankings. But i like all the sleepers and super sleepers i named. Thats more skillful imo....find the hidden gems and touting them long before anyone else even heard of them. I am sure some of those i mentioned will end up getting drafted, signed as UDFAs, and get their chance in training camp. If i get any of those sleepers right, better than what Simms or any top 5 ranking analyst ever did. Easy to find the top 5 and rry to rank them

Its obvious Wilson has the higher upside, but hes the biggest boom-bust. The draftnik community of analysts named the top qb prospects, whos got a 1st, 2nd etc round grade. Wilson came to the fore and THEN people all over accepted those names would get drafted high and start ranking them. I see it Fields Jones Lawrence Wilson Lance Trask Mond. Many have many different rankings. But i like all the sleepers and super sleepers i named. Thats more skillful imo....find the hidden gems and touting them long before anyone else even heard of them. I am sure some of those i mentioned will end up getting drafted, signed as UDFAs, and get their chance in training camp. If i get any of those sleepers right, better than what Simms or any top 5 ranking analyst ever did. Easy to find the top 5 and rry to rank them

I pin my hat on hyping up Wilson long before people were even talking about him as a first round pick. I also don't mind being a lone ranger like you. The Wilson bandwagon has got out of control recently that I'm now starting to think he might even be getting a bit overrated (since Simms released his list)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I pin my hat on hyping up Wilson long before people were even talking about him as a first round pick. I also don't mind being a lone ranger like you. The Wilson bandwagon has got out of control recently that I'm now starting to think he might even be getting a bit overrated (since Simms released his list)
There are analysts who do all the hard work of scouting them, or, talking to GMs and actual scouts, to find the qbs the NFL itself considers 1st rounders, 2nd rounders etc. Long long before guys like Simms, OSullivan and dozen other media/youtube analysts put their rankings out. They wait for the word to get out first, before they rank them. What some of us instead do....is go thru all the prospects or more than the five top, like babes in wool, and play the GM/Scout game ourselves. I am not good at it, but i do it every year, refining my eye. I enjoy it, also purely for finding the sleepers before anyone else. There are also others who watched a ton of college football as it happened and form smart views, guys like dannyreed, aussiedude, adp, etc.

There are analysts who do all the hard work of scouting them, or, talking to GMs and actual scouts, to find the qbs the NFL itself considers 1st rounders, 2nd rounders etc. Long long before guys like Simms, OSullivan and dozen other media/youtube analysts put their rankings out. They wait for the word to get out first, before they rank them. What some of us instead do....is go thru all the prospects or more than the five top, like babes in wool, and play the GM/Scout game ourselves. I am not good at it, but i do it every year, refining my eye. I enjoy it, also purely for finding the sleepers before anyone else. There are also others who watched a ton of college football as it happened and form smart views, guys like dannyreed, aussiedude, adp, etc.

Exactly, it's more a pastime. Don't take yourself too seriously and it's really fun. Who cares if you get things wrong.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly, it's more a pastime. Don't take yourself too seriously and it's really fun. Who cares if you get things wrong.
Exactly. I dont even do it for cred. Only my own cred, seeing myself improve at it, getting more right in future than the previous year. As you know, i slog thru all the thousand prospects across all positions every jan-april for fantasy GMing

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Chris Simms Rankings of the 2018 QB Draft Class: 1.) Lamar Jackson, 2.) Josh Allen, 3.) Baker Mayfield, 4.) Sam Darnold, 5.) Josh Rosen
People keep saying this and then forget he changed his rankings a couple of weeks later to the point Rosen was 2nd

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you're basically Chris Simms but not professional standard? So why the hate?

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mainstream view of this class I think is:

Can't miss:

Lawrence
Fields

Like but too many doubts coz not familiar names to American households:

Lance
Wilson

High probability he sucks:

Mac Jones

They all suck:

The rest
When I see people call Fields cant miss it shows they just watch college football playoffs and only care about wins

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Simms only does top 5. But im criticizing him because you glorify him when there plenty proof hes wrong, changes his mind every second week, and then pretends hes always right.
He only lists his top 7 or so but he looks at much more than that. You don't know that cause you don't watch him

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
If theres some dude out there in the media who gets things right say %90 of the time, or whatever, good on them. Kudos to them. And may they be celebrated as a guru. Kind of like how Mayocks positional rankings and all the work he did was considered THE dude. He also scouted everyone, all positions, not just WBs, and looked at all thousands, from small schools etc. I think Pauline is that guy now. Simms... wouldnt mind if he was spot on, but hes a shyster as i explained before, and works for NBC to provide superficial analysis. He does a good job, but hes not all right, changes often, and tries hard to vindicate himself as all right, after the cred, and has acolytes that glorify him which is also why people get the shits with Simms.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If theres some dude out there in the media who gets things right say %90 of the time, or whatever, good on them. Kudos to them. And may they be celebrated as a guru. Kind of like how Mayocks positional rankings and all the work he did was considered THE dude. He also scouted everyone, all positions, not just WBs, and looked at all thousands, from small schools etc. I think Pauline is that guy now. Simms... wouldnt mind if he was spot on, but hes a shyster as i explained before, and works for NBC to provide superficial analysis. He does a good job, but hes not all right, changes often, and tries hard to vindicate himself as all right, after the cred, and has acolytes that glorify him which is also why people get the shits with Simms.
When does Simms change other than one time?

Back