NFL 2021 — NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports multiple NFL teams have contacted the Falcons about acquiring the No. 4 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, and that the team is "open" to moving out of the fourth spot.
Meanwhile, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Tuesday that Atlanta general manager Terry Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith are split on using the fourth overall pick to draft a QB of the future -- presumably North Dakota State's Trey Lance. Quarterback-desperate teams like the Broncos, Patriots, Football Team, and the Lions should be banging down the Falcons' door in the weeks leading up to the draft. Acquiring the No. 4 pick is the last chance teams have to get one of the top QBs in this year's class. Of course, Atlanta could always keep the pick and supercharge their offense with phenom tight end Kyle Pitts.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Apr 6, 2021, 11:17 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot wants to draft QB Trey Lance with the No. 4 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, while head coach Arthur Smith believes Matt Ryan has at least two good years left.
"What I’m hearing is that [Terry] Fontenot is more focused on quarterback, and Arthur Smith believes that Matt Ryan does have two or more years left," Mortensen said, citing Ryan's durability as a reason the Falcons might forgo QB with their first rounder. Mortensen said if the Falcons draft a quarterback with the fourth pick, it will be Trey Lance. The mobile Lance, who started 17 games for North Dakota State, would likely sit behind Ryan for at least a year. Intrigue around Atlanta's first round strategy will continue until draft night.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Falcoholic.com
Apr 6, 2021, 11:08 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Speaking Tuesday, Jets GM Joe Douglas said it was a "fair assessment" that the team will select a quarterback at No. 2 overall.
File this under "duh," obviously, but it is still unusual candor from a general manager. Sam Darnold's Monday trade was essentially the last domino that needed to fall for the Jets to begin fitting a uniform for BYU's Zach Wilson. Asked about Steve Young's comments that the Jets are "committed" to Wilson, Douglas responded "Steve's plugged in to BYU pretty well." There has been zero indication Douglas is planning a curveball off a pick that has seem preordained for weeks now.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Andrew Siciliano on Twitter
Apr 6, 2021, 2:22 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter expects the 49ers to select Alabama QB Mac Jones at No. 3 overall.
This is not a sourced report from Schefter — he was sharing his thoughts on a radio show, not tweeting out a scoop — but he believes the Niners will settle on Jones after doing their due diligence on the draft class. Considering the source, this is the biggest indication yet that the 49ers are zeroed in on Jones after trading up to No. 3 overall, something you only do for a quarterback. "Draft Twitter" — really, any Twitter — is having trouble wrapping its mind around this fact, but the 49ers have begun openly telegraphing the move. They have the luxury of doing so since both teams in front of them also seemed locked into quarterbacks, and they can no longer be jumped in the draft order. For now, Schefter believes the Niners will keep Jimmy Garoppolo around as a bridge quarterback, but he also believes the Niners could move him if the right deal comes along.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Anthony Amico on Twitter
Apr 6, 2021, 1:36 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
This article reckons the Niners are taking Fields not Jones. Fields is far more accurate, far more mobile, and in todays NFL QBs like Jackson, Allen, Murray, Watson points to Shanahan wanting that not a Garrapolo clone which Jones is. Says Shanahan wanted Josh Allen and so itd be his guess that the Niners are taking Fields at 3.

Broncos will move to 4 and take Fields. and then we can no longer make fun of Denver's drafting.
Fields will go at 3.

Don’t buy the Mac Jones narrative at all

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Fields will go at 3.

Don’t buy the Mac Jones narrative at all
I think Jones will go at 3 just for the lols' and Shanahan thinks he is the smartest man in the room. His pride has tipped the pick and will end up costing him his job.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
They’ve never let anything out before though. How much of an upgrade is he over Jimmy G
Well at his pro day he made the same overthrow that cost them the superbowl.

The 9ers just seem like the team who fakes playing reverse mind games.

I just dont get the 1st round hype over Jones.

Well at his pro day he made the same overthrow that cost them the superbowl.

The 9ers just seem like the team who fakes playing reverse mind games.

I just dont get the 1st round hype over Jones.
I think Mac will be fine in the right system, but he ain’t worth 3 firsts

I'm still getting my head around the trade by the 49ers. I would be underwhelmed by Jones and reluctant to buy into the hype of Fields or Lance.

The only way I can rationale this is that with the Jets connection with the 49ers have some inside knowledge in that the Jets do not take Wilson.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
They’ve never let anything out before though. How much of an upgrade is he over Jimmy G
What benefit is there to them keeping the pick hidden? Its not like they can get their pick sniped because the Jags and Jets won't be trading their picks away and seem like their are set to pick Lawrence and Wilson respectively

Back