NFL 2021 — NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem with pure analytics is that they can provide correlation but not causation. Yes Fields often has trouble sensing preassue and that may be a cause. But it is also important to remember that Ohio State called a lot of long developing option route plays that forced Fields to hold onto the ball. And the context is after the 3rd game every game they were missing at least 1 o lineman.

--------

thats one of those things that in college I can never tell if it's a flaw or something they were told to do.

I could easily see OSU telling him to play hero ball instead of just throwing it away. He's the best player on the field most of the time so keeping the ball in his hands is overall probably a good strategy. even if it means giving up some sacks.

-----------

People asked Day why Fields doesn't throw the ball away more and he said he always allowed him to try and make plays. As an OSU fan it was pretty frustrating but seemed to work out more often than not. I fully believe Fields is able to throw the ball away if asked

---------

Yeah, they're obviously running the deep shot option route offense because Fields is most successful in it compared to other, faster offenses. The question is if that's mostly because of his strengths, or mostly because of his weaknesses.

-----------

The total pressures and time to pressure for Fields is right in line with the others despite having played in like 5 fewer games. Not sure if that's oline play (Fields did play multiple games missing starting o linemen) or throwing the ball down field further at higher rate.

The time to pressure and time to throw gap is significantly higher for Fields. That's probably some of both him needing to speed things up and OSU's offense. Either way that explains the higher sack rate.

I would expect the scramble rate for Fields to be higher considering he's by far the best scrambler amongst 4.

Some interesting stuff but I'm not sure it really says a whole lot about Fields.

----------

That’s what makes his draft evaluation hard.

By the tape itself, his ability to dissect coverages appeared slow. He also didn’t really throw the ball away all that much, so he took bad sacks.

Now, is this a product of OSU’s scheme? Do they condition him to wait for guys to get open instead of making easy throws? Do they want him to extend each play with his legs and not settle for short and intermediate passing? It’s hard to say.

I can only hope it’s simply OSU’s scheme and not major flaws of his.

---------

Fk me, the amount of videos on Justin Fields these past few weeks is getting out of control. Every day in my subscriptions it feels like there are 2 or 3.

So sick of people and networks egurgitating the same questions just said differently about the top 3 prospects.

Why Fields is a top 3 pick.
Will Fields be selected in the top 3?
Has Fields been unfairly evaluated if he isn't a top 3 pick!?
will the Niners regret not taking Fields at #3?
I saw Justin Fields play on TV once last year and he played well vs Clemson so that makes him a top 2 pick!
Fields shines in second pro day! Top 3 pick for sure now!
Why do GMs prefer white QBs?
If Trey Lance gets drafted at #3 and Justin Fields is taken outside the top 5 can I still play the race card?

....etc etc

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
mac jones racist!!

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 11.57.45 am.png

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
That's from 2012 - i.e. when he was 13 years old. That's mostly on his family and doesn't necessarily represent what he is like now.

If it were from last year then it would be a completely different story

Also, the fact that that image is clearly cropped should raise red flags among those that see it given removing context is one of the go-to moves for misinformation and for people trying to create "gotcha" moments

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, UVA, Anaheim Ducks
I know the draft is always in april but gee it came up quick used to be one one of those who got up at ******* 1 am in the morning and watched it all night.

Then i realised its just a draft and a dart job no point getting excited at a draft.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know the draft is always in april but gee it came up quick used to be one one of those who got up at ******* 1 am in the morning and watched it all night.

Then i realised its just a draft and a dart job no point getting excited at a draft.
You obviously don't know Chris Simms

Back