mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
I think that might be it.

Yes.
As stated that was easy!

Everyone signing new contracts except seemingly Britt and Jaimee.
That leaves them as the "A graders" who will need a new contract after this next season - for 2022/23.
This being the time of the expansion clubs and player losses for minimal return.

So we seem to be in a reasonably good position to keep our good players as long as contracts can't be broken.
Some excellent list management happening here!

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The AFL website has an updated look at all AFL W team lists.

Sarah Rowe seems to be missing from our list.

She was said to have signed for 2 years, have I missed something or is it a mistake?
Does anyone know?

The AFL website has an updated look at all AFL W team lists.

Sarah Rowe seems to be missing from our list.

She was said to have signed for 2 years, have I missed something or is it a mistake?
Does anyone know?
A mistake.
Because she signed a 2 year contract last year, meaning lasts til 2022.

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
A mistake.
Because she signed a 2 year contract last year, meaning lasts til 2022.

And yet a nagging doubt remains!

It's a lot to ask from her,
to continue travelling in these covid times and now to lose Christmas at home
and all of this for a small amount of financial compensation.

There are going to be 18 teams from the 2022-23 season. That includes two additional Victorian teams in Essendon and Hawthorn.

The 2021-22 Season is very important for us as it might be our last season with this core of players.
Potentially doubly important as a good season may also assist in player retention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
Hopefully we dont get raided next year.

Let Hawks and essendon raid Carlton. lol Or Norf.

I understand the talent needs to be shared around but we've been raided heavily in the past. I can stomach losing one or maybe two but that'd be it. Carlton and North need to get it now. I'm also guessing Port will take a dip at a few Crows players.

I understand the talent needs to be shared around but we've been raided heavily in the past. I can stomach losing one or maybe two but that'd be it. Carlton and North need to get it now. I'm also guessing Port will take a dip at a few Crows players.
Yeah, Port will go after crows. Swans after GWS.

We just gotta worry about hawks/essendon. I think we are in a better position than we were then. Success wise, I dont think many will leave if any.

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
Yeah, Port will go after crows. Swans after GWS.

We just gotta worry about hawks/essendon. I think we are in a better position than we were then. Success wise, I dont think many will leave if any.

Yeah, if we can go deep into finals or even win it I think we’ll be ok, plus the girls really seem to have a bond.

Carlton, Richmond, St Kilda and maybe .Geelong could be in danger.

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Assuming squads of 30, there are 60 additional players that need to be recruited in Victoria.

Assuming 20 of those 60 can be drafted that leaves 40 to be filled from players on existing Victorian lists.

If it was evenly spread then that would be each Victorian club losing 5 players each to Essendon/Hawthorn. I assume the AFL will put rules in place where a club can lose 6-7 players max

The other aspect is coaching. While I wasn’t expecting an announcement so soon the hawks have unsurprisingly named Goddard as coach, but I’d assume Gowans would be near the top of the list for the other clubs.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Assuming squads of 30, there are 60 additional players that need to be recruited in Victoria.

Assuming 20 of those 60 can be drafted that leaves 40 to be filled from players on existing Victorian lists.

If it was evenly spread then that would be each Victorian club losing 5 players each to Essendon/Hawthorn. I assume the AFL will put rules in place where a club can lose 6-7 players max

At least there’s a couple of extra teams to share the burden this time around, should minimize the damage to us. I guess we just need the players to want to stay to avoid losing too much.

TheVillageIdiot7

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

i wonder how much contracts come into it?
A significant number of our players signed for 2 years (with only a few signed for 1 who are nearing the end of their career).

Would the AFL allow those contracts to be voided if a player wants to move to an expansion club?
I suspect they would have to (otherwise all teams will just lock away their players and so be it).

Either way, will be a very good test to see if there is a tangible cultural difference compared to 3 years ago.

TheVillageIdiot7

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The other aspect is coaching. While I wasn’t expecting an announcement so soon the hawks have unsurprisingly named Goddard as coach, but I’d assume Gowans would be near the top of the list for the other clubs.

Agree.
No way he is still at the Pies next year.

Was only a financial reason he was released from north. Took over our midfield and they were great.
Suspect someone will come with an offer too good to refuse......

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
i wonder how much contracts come into it?
A significant number of our players signed for 2 years (with only a few signed for 1 who are nearing the end of their career).

Would the AFL allow those contracts to be voided if a player wants to move to an expansion club?
I suspect they would have to (otherwise all teams will just lock away their players and so be it).

Either way, will be a very good test to see if there is a tangible cultural difference compared to 3 years ago.

Exactly right.
I have mentioned this point previously on this thread about contracts and how robust they will be.

We have only Britt and Jaimee of our top players coming out of contract at the end of this season, but that doesn't count the players who hopefully improve
and jump to the next level - like Ruby Schleicher did last season.

Will it be trades for contracted players and AFLW compensation for non contracted players?
There will be more cash for some players at a new club which doesn't have the top-tier paid players yet!

Chaston back to Hawthorn?

Ugh! Essendon taking our best key forward

Essendon are poised to land yet another established AFLW player, with Collingwood forward Sophie Alexander likely to join the Bombers from the Pies.
CodeSports understands that former basketballer Alexander, 28, has committed to join the expansion Dons ahead of their first season in the national women’s league, which is due to begin in August.

From Ballarat, Alexander has been a mainstay of the Pies’ line-up since her debut in 2019, playing 31 games and kicking 16 goals. Only Chloe Molloy has kicked more goals for Collingwood across the competition’s six seasons.

Alexander is set to join Carlton pair Madison Prespakis and Georgia Gee, Western Bulldogs forward Bonnie Toogood and Fremantle speedster Stephanie Cain in committing to be part of the Bombers’ inaugural campaign under coach Natalie Wood.

AFLW expansion player movement rules are yet to be formalised, with the Dons potentially facing the prospect of needing to trade for some of their signings.

The Pies have thus far been largely untouched by expansion raiders, with Ruby Schleicher and Sarah Rowe turning down interest from Sydney.

Collingwood have made the finals in three consecutive seasons since the arrival of South Australian Steve Symonds as senior coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back