2021/22 Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Any predictions as to who will be in the team?

1 Renshaw
2 Weatherald
3 Head
4 Handscomb
5 Patterson
6 Smith
7 Carey
8 Pattinson
9 Starc/Hazelwood
10 Cummins
11 Lyon

Also - Maxwell, Cartwright, Turner, Bancroft, Lehmann, Agar, Swepson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's 3 survivors from a 5-0 team in 2013/14.

Probably a couple more of these in the mix as this team is younger, but as of now it is not a better performed team so they might be in the mix but not necessarily in the team. On a series to series basis the only two bastmen absolutely cemented in the team are Smith and Warner. The latter will be approaching retirement age by then.

Smith at 6 - what?

It's hard to say with potential retirements such as Warner, Usman, Pattinson etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see names like Lehmann, Weatherald, Marsh, Richardson and Whiteman involved though.
Smith at six is quite possible. Border and SWaugh spent plenty of time there in the back half of their careers.

1. S.Marsh
2. S.Marsh
3. S.Marsh
4. S.Marsh
5. S.Marsh
6. S.Marsh
7. S.Marsh
8. S.Marsh
9. S.Marsh
10. S.Marsh
11. S.Marsh
And 12th man S. Smith
#InMarshWeTrust

Can’t see Smith being at 6.

I’m resigned to Pattinson being out thorough an injury of one stripe or another.
It's a shame he's had such a bad run, I mantain that when all fit he the best fast bowler we have.

Hard to predict but I reckon it'll be somewhat like:

Renshaw
Weatherald
Patterson
Smith
Handscomb (watch the haters flock. Back him to fix his issues)
Stoinis (really highly rated by CA)
Whiteman/Carey/Peirson (+, really unsure about this one)
3x Cummins/Starc/Hazlewood/Tremain/Behrendorff/Richardson
Swepson

But really I can see Labuschagne, Heazlett, Cartwright, Lehmann, Doran and a few others getting a game as a batsman. Agar a possibility to be the spinner.

Marcus Harris opening anybody?
We really do have some good young openers in Bancroft, Renshaw, Weatherald and Harris

Dont expect the bowling attack to change much. Would be the same quicks + Pattinson if he can get fit. Spinner would be Lyon, but if he is retired Mitch Swepson would be next in line. Keeper should be Whiteman as he will take over after Paine retires (yes I want Paine around for a long time), if he can get his finger right as he is the best pure gloveman in the country. Then opening will still be Warner and Bancroft, but if Warner retires we will revert back to Renshaw which still gives us a right hand left hand combo. Middle order is the problem. Smith will be joined by any three of the following: Khawaja, Handscomb, Maxwell, Cartwright, Head, M. Marsh, Burns, Pucovski (if he keeps developing nicely), Patterson, Maddinson, Doran, Heazlett and many others I probably cant think of.

Marcus Harris opening anybody?
We really do have some good young openers in Bancroft, Renshaw, Weatherald and Harris
If we are digging a little deeper a young guy from NSW who had impressed a lot in Sydney is Daniel Solway. Not seen him myself but plenty I know have and reckon he's got a good technique and more in the Cam Bancroft mould than the Dave Warner mould. Would have to be close to next in line for NSW. Leading run scorer in Sydney this season and one of the leading scorers a couple of seasons back.

If we are digging a little deeper a young guy from NSW who had impressed a lot in Sydney is Daniel Solway.
He has struggled a bit to take the step up to FL, but made a good ton at Blacktown back in October against ACT. If he finishes the season well, should see him in the Shield next summer.

If we are digging a little deeper a young guy from NSW who had impressed a lot in Sydney is Daniel Solway. Not seen him myself but plenty I know have and reckon he's got a good technique and more in the Cam Bancroft mould than the Dave Warner mould. Would have to be close to next in line for NSW. Leading run scorer in Sydney this season and one of the leading scorers a couple of seasons back.
By young do you mean like 16-19 or like 20-23 sorta age?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back