2021/22 Championship, Lower, Non-League & Papa John's Trophy - On beIN Sports and iFollow

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

A little piece of trivia for all the Derby County fans here. Derby County finished as Division One Champions in the only season Carlisle United played top flight football (1974-75), and although the Cumbrians finished last they didn't lose to the Champions. They won 3-0 at home and drew 0-0 in the final game of the season.

Also, 1974-75 was the last season Manchester United didn't play in the top flight, as a result they were the only team to have played League Football that Carlisle United had not played in a League game, until Fleetwood Town's arrival in 2013. That could change next season if Carlisle can stay up and Fleetwood Town remains in the bottom four of League One.

Last edited:

1636849502309.png
1636849519511.png

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Reading have gotten a 6 point penalty as well and they already have a suspended 6 point penalty that could be applied if they have another financial stuff up.

Can't remember who but when Wolves were buying up Jota and Neves in the championship to get into the PL, a pundit reckoned that a lot more clubs would spend heavily to try and get promoted which would lead to this. Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and now Derby with a few more clubs not doing too well either.

Massive changes need to come in regards to acquiring clubs in the lower leagues (along with financing for clubs) otherwise more clubs will go the way of Bury or Bolton.

Reading have gotten a 6 point penalty as well and they already have a suspended 6 point penalty that could be applied if they have another financial stuff up.

Can't remember who but when Wolves were buying up Jota and Neves in the championship to get into the PL, a pundit reckoned that a lot more clubs would spend heavily to try and get promoted which would lead to this. Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and now Derby with a few more clubs not doing too well either.

Massive changes need to come in regards to acquiring clubs in the lower leagues (along with financing for clubs) otherwise more clubs will go the way of Bury or Bolton.

Clubs have been spending heavily to get promoted long before Wolves came along, I don't know if they were really the trigger for the arms race. Derby for instance have been spending big for years to try to get up. Back in 15/16 (which was pre-Wolves) they had a pretty expensive squad when they played us in the Play-Off semi final.

Then we have a new owner coming in who under FFP would be able to spend something like 40m to try to get us promoted and FFP would be fine with it, but who knows what financial position that would put him in.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Clubs have been spending heavily to get promoted long before Wolves came along, I don't know if they were really the trigger for the arms race. Derby for instance have been spending big for years to try to get up. Back in 15/16 (which was pre-Wolves) they had a pretty expensive squad when they played us in the Play-Off semi final.

Then we have a new owner coming in who under FFP would be able to spend something like 40m to try to get us promoted and FFP would be fine with it, but who knows what financial position that would put him in.

Derby had been doing it for ages and it was only a matter of time before their spending bit them on the arse. And I agree that clubs have been doing it long before Wolves but I'd argue that they kicked it up to another level when Fosun came in. Look at Forest under Marinakis, Stoke, Birmingham or Bristol City. Birmingham have already had big problems financially, and the others can't sustain the money they're spending forever if they don't get promoted. Then there's the yoyo clubs like Bournemouth, WBA and Fulham (although they're not as unlikely to go bust because of their owners) who keep spending big but if they spend a few years in the Championship and don't back up, they could be in real trouble too.

The Ownership Test and FFP need massive overhauling to stop these clubs from ruining themselves.

The one that really interests me is Norwich, they've been up and down a few times without strengthening, and losing Buendia. I'm not convinced they'd go straight back up without some major investment in the Summer, and with that investment comes the gamble that the signings work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
The one that really interests me is Norwich, they've been up and down a few times without strengthening, and losing Buendia. I'm not convinced they'd go straight back up without some major investment in the Summer, and with that investment comes the gamble that the signings work.

If they get relegated this season, I don't see them being in much problems financially. They pretty much budget themselves as a championship club and the PL money they get goes right back into the club through the academy and facilities. Norwich and Brentford are probably the two safest clubs if they get relegated that I can think of.

The ones that are interesting for me are Bournemouth (sugar daddies don't last forever), WBA (stingy campaigner owners who'll probably scale back spending if Albion don't get up in the next few years) and Southampton if they get relegated because Ralph can't keep pulling miracles out of his arse with the team he has.

If they get relegated this season, I don't see them being in much problems financially. They pretty much budget themselves as a championship club and the PL money they get goes right back into the club through the academy and facilities. Norwich and Brentford are probably the two safest clubs if they get relegated that I can think of.

The ones that are interesting for me are Bournemouth (sugar daddies don't last forever), WBA (stingy campaigner owners who'll probably scale back spending if Albion don't get up in the next few years) and Southampton if they get relegated because Ralph can't keep pulling miracles out of his arse with the team he has.

Oh sorry they're absolutely safe, I'm talking from a yo-yo perspective. Same with a club like Fulham as Mitro gets older. A lot of these clubs (WBA/Fulham/Norwich) have essentially relied on the same core to bounce back and forth, but that core will age..

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Rumours he wanted to sell….selling our prized assets prior to this campaign looked like nail in the coffin.
Bring in guys like Cahill on a free transfer, Christie for £1.5M, Leif Davis on loan….rumours of offloading Solanke to Newcastle in January for millions….it appears as though the owner may want to pull out as much as possible; but here we are 8 points clear of third in the top position and #ParkerBall in full flight.

Interesting times ahead

Rumours he wanted to sell….selling our prized assets prior to this campaign looked like nail in the coffin.
Bring in guys like Cahill on a free transfer, Christie for £1.5M, Leif Davis on loan….rumours of offloading Solanke to Newcastle in January for millions….it appears as though the owner may want to pull out as much as possible; but here we are 8 points clear of third in the top position and #ParkerBall in full flight.

Interesting times ahead

Would be an idiot to sell now and not in the PL, will get a much bigger fee for the club in the PL.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Would be an idiot to sell now and not in the PL, will get a much bigger fee for the club in the PL.
Oh no doubt. Was more alluding to the fact that I think even he thought we were going to start regressing back to the lower tiers hence the sales. Hence the “sugar daddies get bored” I was agreeing with.

Carlisle are in the relegation zone after a 2-1 defeat at Exeter. The match didn't start well with Mellish being sent off late in the first half, and then got worse conceding two goals midway through the second before pulling one back late.

Oldham have now jumped out of the relegation zone after a 3-2 win against Port Vale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back