NCAA 2021/22 - NCAA National Championship Game - Alabama vs Georgia

Remove this Banner Ad

Playoff expansion is not happening till at least 2026 [When the current TV deal is up] ACC keep voting against it and seem unwilling to compromise until the NCAA transitions into more of a semi-pro thing, letting schools pay players.
Honestly surprised it's the ACC holding things up.

I thought it was the Pac-12.

I thought I had heard it was going to be top 6 conference champs, however, the Pac-12 is shitting themselves and wanted it P5 +1 so were fighting for guaranteed inclusion.

nothing. they are bringing in Cinci, Houston, BYU and UCF. but their TV deal ends when Texas and Oklahoma are leaving so that will enter free fall.
I thought those 4 already had a set date for their inclusion.

It's the next 2 (rumours dropped off throughout the season, but it's believed to be Boise State and Memphis) that will probably get invited and fill the void of Texas/Oklahoma when they do actually leave.

But my gut feel from the Big XII - They will only expand to an even number.

Memphis has the support now from boosters to do it. But if it waits, they could drop off

Where-as Boise doesn't have that support just yet and are trying to fast track what is required, to be ready.

But the issue is, on a Boise State perspective, we need Texas/Oklahoma to drag their toes so we can get everything in place (we're probably 70% of the way there tbh) But if we wait too long, the public support for Memphis might drop off. So because there's no one to join us on the podium with. We might stay in the MWC as the Big XII wont take BSU to go to 15, (What I'm saying - there's no decent option for #16 Right now, Memphis is #15, and they're hopeful we can become #16. But By the time we're there, Memphis might drop off and be out with no one to be #16)

I've seen mumblings of SDSU, CSU and USF.
USF as a school is probably the best option - But their athletics suck. So the Big XII wont want them.
CSU is located in a good spot. Has the facilities ready to go. But doesnt have that national support of BYU or financial backing of Houston or a recent flash in the pan season of UCF or Cincinnati.
SDSU would be a good option for just about any conference athletic wise. But the Big XII hated the trips to Morgantown. sure, San Diego offers alot more for that age range (Personally, I'd prefer appalachian tracks more than californian beaches - But lets be real here. low 20s would prefer the latter) but they're just too far out there on an island. They're the best option in so many ways, but geography will count against them. Pac-12 or bust for them.

Just on my statement re preferring appalachian tracks over californian beaches

West Virginia might be the perfect place to study imho - Such a quaint, natural area of the country.
Would be an absolutely terrible place to have a career. But it would be a good place to study/retire.

Obligatory Celine Dion video

When I saw you put this up, I woke up earlier the next day, and just watched this 2 or 3 times, then I found a 1 hour version of the song in repeat on youtube.

Love this song, and I absolutely love when these scenes get put up

This is probably my favourite since seeing Diggs win it vs Nawleans.

Let's hope it's not a fox or CBS deal so we can see most of it here
Fox wont lose their half. CBS are going after it to replace the SEC. they will also look at the Pac-12 when thats up in a few years.

Big10 also wont leave Fox since they run the Big10 network for them.

Cant really see a Fox/CBS deal since both will want the best game of the week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking news that was announced in December when talks broke down. 22 was the only year under the current deal they could expand. now they need to wait till ESPN's deal for the playoffs expires. which some though there were votes against to bring in more money by letting it go to market.

Stupid , what we've come to expect from college football tho.
It's the most logical thing to do right now considering all the uncertainty about NIL, league expansions, league rights, etc.

Also expanding the playoffs is just rewarding more and more participation trophies to teams that have no business in being there.

On one hand it'd be nice to give non-Power 5 teams and teams that get hot late more of a chance, but OTOH the College Footbal Semi Finals have typically been blow-outs, and adding more teams won't change that so...
Some of the confreres refusing to vote on a 8 team playoff that had 1 automatic bid for a G5 team was a sticking point. They were all fine with the Power 5 getting automatic bids.

As soon as playoffs expand bowls will die. I would imagine first round will be pre-Xmas, then Semis New Years and Championship game still 2nd Monday in Jan.

The Sugar Bowl moved next year [Since Jan 1 is a Sunday the New years games moved to the Monday] Im guessing the Sugar Bowl moved from Jan 2 to Dec 31 to be before the Semis and to avoid going up against MNF.

Some of the confreres refusing to vote on a 8 team playoff that had 1 automatic bid for a G5 team was a sticking point. They were all fine with the Power 5 getting automatic bids.

As soon as playoffs expand bowls will die. I would imagine first round will be pre-Xmas, then Semis New Years and Championship game still 2nd Monday in Jan.

The Sugar Bowl moved next year [Since Jan 1 is a Sunday the New years games moved to the Monday] Im guessing the Sugar Bowl moved from Jan 2 to Dec 31 to be before the Semis and to avoid going up against MNF.
I'm unsurprised that they couldn't get agreement. Rallied against NIL and any type of progress, so clearly the P5 are terrified of giving the G5 any credibility or say by gifting them a spot each season.

I'm unsurprised that they couldn't get agreement. Rallied against NIL and any type of progress, so clearly the P5 are terrified of giving the G5 any credibility or say by gifting them a spot each season.
Not everyone was against NIL. i know the California school both P5 and G5 were either supportive or didnt speak up against the bill that proposed payments for student athletes. this bill along with others in Georgia and some other states were the push behind NIL. I know some ACC, SEC and Big12 schools were against NIL and student payments.

i think North Carolina AD [It was one of the big ACC schools but think it was UNC] is a huge supporter of NIL and expects to see a change in football and basketball players from Student Athletes into school employees over the next 5-10 years.

On one hand it'd be nice to give non-Power 5 teams and teams that get hot late more of a chance, but OTOH the College Footbal Semi Finals have typically been blow-outs, and adding more teams won't change that so...
Buts that's sport and that is the beauty of it. You don't always get what you want.

There was a indication that the quarter finals would be new years and the national championship pushed back a week. Yeah stupid but they are pushing for 8 to all be neutral site games.

But was the vote 1 bid for G5?

The original proposal was top 6. After a while though, the Pac-12 got cold feet on that idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back