NCAA 2021/22 - NCAA National Championship Game - Alabama vs Georgia

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
But was the vote 1 bid for G5?

The original proposal was top 6. After a while though, the Pac-12 got cold feet on that idea.
This was the 6 proposals voted on. None passed

FIxl_sDXEAUHdCb

Sounds like SEC was the most vocal against expansion.

Some G5 wouldn't vote for any without automatic bids for G5 and SEC was against giving them a Automatic bid

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
This was the 6 proposals voted on. None passed

FIxl_sDXEAUHdCb

Sounds like SEC was the most vocal against expansion.

Some G5 wouldn't vote for any without automatic bids for G5 and SEC was against giving them a Automatic bid

G5 would only support auto bid for them, SEC wants the rankings or max at large to continue to corner the market, everyone else (P4) wants a spot per conference..... unanimous consent. No chance!

It's going to be an interesting landscape I'm the coming years with the SEC expansion, Big10 looking at getting rid of divisions and eventually a new playoffs format once the contract ends

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
G5 would only support auto bid for them, SEC wants the rankings or max at large to continue to corner the market, everyone else (P4) wants a spot per conference..... unanimous consent. No chance!

It's going to be an interesting landscape I'm the coming years with the SEC expansion, Big10 looking at getting rid of divisions and eventually a new playoffs format once the contract ends
I think it was the ACC that was also against G5 auto bid. Another sticking point for some was how seedings would work and how many wild cards could come from the same conference.

They now have 4 more years to work it out.

On one hand I agree with Saban but that is more to do with the fact I think the NIL and "free movement" of players was not thought through well at all. On the other hand I am with Jimbo and Saban is just a whinging campaigner because it disadvantages Alabama. Having other schools competing is only going to be a good thing.

Mar 13, 2006
Perth Central
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NY Giants, UM Wolverines
Saban is just calling it out in that unregulated NIL in its current form isn’t healthy for the sport and not sustainable long term.

Personally I would reintroduce the you have to sit out one year if you want to transfer unless graduated rule. I.e. if you want to go to a school for the NIL, good for you. If it doesn’t work out for you because they suck at developing you, tough.

Back